RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Confidence in the Boards - WST & Club (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/114432-confidence-boards-wst-club.html)

Phils-an-alki 4th September 2019 14.38:40

Re: Confidence in the Boards - WST & Club

[QUOTE=Mr Wonderful;2289745]I might be thick but we have very little to attract shysters these days haven’t we? What assets have we got left to strip?
Apart from the playing staff very little.

Having said that I am loathe to criticise the board, so it’s an abstention from me.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Not much to pick at now.

Why are you loathe to criticise the board out of interest? I don't get that. The minute every fan takes that approach we might as well not bother.

Mr Wonderful 4th September 2019 14.50:05

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2289748]Correct. Not much to pick at now.

Why are you loathe to criticise the board out of interest? I don't get that. The minute every fan takes that approach we might as well not bother.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely see your point Phil & believe it or not your posts more than anyone’s have swayed my opinion of the board. I was staunchly behind them, now I’m a so-so, but speaking for myself, (A)I don’t know enough about the characters on the board to fully commit to lambasting them & (B)I am not up to speed on the in-house politics of the football club.
I would hate to think it’s all about power games & not the long term well being of WFC that is their main concern.

Phils-an-alki 4th September 2019 15.05:17

[QUOTE=Mr Wonderful;2289754]I absolutely see your point Phil & believe it or not your posts more than anyone’s have swayed my opinion of the board. I was staunchly behind them, now I’m a so-so, but speaking for myself, (A)I don’t know enough about the characters on the board to fully commit to lambasting them & (B)I am not up to speed on the in-house politics of the football club.
I would hate to think it’s all about power games & not the long term well being of WFC that is their main concern.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Understand completely. Believe or not when the WST first took over for the initial few years I was right behind them too, as I think many were. But personal experiences, certain things I'm told by people I know (and trust) who have shall we say inside knowledge have completely changed my opinion. Coupled with recent events.

I wish I could say more but I can't and won't as its not my place to.
I think things will come out in the wash in the end though.
If you are, lets say an unsavoury character, sooner or later the pretence or guard will drop and the truth will out for all to see for themselves.

dixienormous 4th September 2019 15.10:20

34 people have confidence in a board who've failed to deliver where it matters for over seven seasons.Isn't football important to you?

Haruki 4th September 2019 15.16:05

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2289748]Correct. Not much to pick at now.

Why are you loathe to criticise the board out of interest? I don't get that. The minute every fan takes that approach we might as well not bother.[/QUOTE]

It isn't necessarily about having assets. We could be attractive to an investor (good or bad) because of the revenue and expense that runs through us

Colonel D 4th September 2019 15.42:09

Yes I still have confidence ,notwithstanding a few hiccups on appointments.
The ones shouting loudest on here would not stand for office or be prepared to put in the hours the current team do.
The other alternative of returning to private ownership fills me with dread ,especially with the recent experiences of Bury and Bolton.There are always rumours surfacing about investors waiting with wads of cash to throw at the club , but never any proof.

Loughboroughred 4th September 2019 15.49:46

On the field something needs to change. The decision making as of late in regards to staff employment has been odd. Off the the field they need to be applauded for doing a superb job.

If you look bad not all of their decisions have been bad.

Kevin Wilkin - Wanted by most on here.
Gary Mills - Wanted by most on here.
Dean Keates - Not wanted by most on here.
Sam Ricketts - Not wanted by most on here.
Graham Barrow - Not wanted by most on here.
Bryan Hughes - Not wanted by most on here.

So apart from the last 4 they have employed who've we wanted haha

Prodigal Dragon 4th September 2019 16.26:41

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2289759]Fair enough. Understand completely. Believe or not when the WST first took over for the initial few years I was right behind them too, as I think many were. But personal experiences, certain things I'm told by people I know (and trust) who have shall we say inside knowledge have completely changed my opinion. Coupled with recent events.

I wish I could say more but I can't and won't as its not my place to.
I think things will come out in the wash in the end though.
If you are, lets say an unsavoury character, sooner or later the pretence or guard will drop and the truth will out for all to see for themselves.[/QUOTE]

If these people do have valid criticisms of the Board it would be better if they were aired in public, rather than fester as innuendo.

But, as you say, it is not for you to repeat hearsay in public. They must have the confidence to repeat what they know or believe.

eosceiriog 4th September 2019 16.29:39

[QUOTE=Mr Wonderful;2289745]I might be thick but we have very little to attract shysters these days haven’t we? What assets have we got left to strip?
Apart from the playing staff very little.

Having said that I am loathe to criticise the board, so it’s an abstention from me.[/QUOTE]

You are certainly not thick but in this particular area you lack experience / knowledge and so do many other posters who pontificate nonsense on the topic.

Firstly see the reply to you from Haruki.

Secondly the club does have assets. Contrary to common belief the most valuable assets are frequently not seen in the accountancy balance sheet.
I don't want get booged down in detail but 2 things most people will understand are the large fan base relative to the football pyramid status and the club's history / pedigree.

Getting a return might be indirect to the buyer not direct by stripping the club. So being sensible the long term plan and motivation of any new money is crucial. Sometimes others see assets they can exploit but we cannot and as long as that does not conflict with the well being of the club I do not see it as an issue. Transparency is key.

Clearly you and I have different views but the common ground is avoiding shysters whilst having access to the level of funds required to meet our objectives. I'd like to see the leadership making visible efforts around the common ground.

Some open debate is needed about constitutes a shyster and what our realistic objectives are.

I would very much like to be in your camp of being ``1comfortable with the board and I would be if they shaped up.

I do not believe we can ever move forward effectively in the long term shackled to the past. Equally it is crucial to maintain vigilance and never to forget the extremely painful lessons we received.

Prodigal Dragon 4th September 2019 16.37:23

[QUOTE=eosceiriog;2289792]You are certainly not thick but in this particular area you lack experience / knowledge and so do many other posters who pontificate nonsense on the topic.

Firstly see the reply to you from Haruki.

Secondly the club does have assets. Contrary to common belief the most valuable assets are frequently not seen in the accountancy balance sheet.
I don't want get booged down in detail but 2 things most people will understand are the large fan base relative to the football pyramid status and the club's history / pedigree.

Getting a return might be indirect to the buyer not direct by stripping the club. So being sensible the long term plan and motivation of any new money is crucial. Sometimes others see assets they can exploit but we cannot and as long as that does not conflict with the well being of the club I do not see it as an issue. Transparency is key.

Clearly you and I have different views but the common ground is avoiding shysters whilst having access to the level of funds required to meet our objectives. I'd like to see the leadership making visible efforts around the common ground.

Some open debate is needed about constitutes a shyster and what our realistic objectives are.

I would very much like to be in your camp of being ``1comfortable with the board and I would be if they shaped up.

I do not believe we can ever move forward effectively in the long term shackled to the past. Equally it is crucial to maintain vigilance and never to forget the extremely painful lessons we received.[/QUOTE]

Wise words.

We must somehow take the emotional nonsense out of business decisions, whilst keeping that same emotional nonsense for the actual footballing side ie supporting the team at a game.

Easily said, but difficult to achieve.:)

Foxy 5th September 2019 17.28:23

Nodding Dogs 43, Frothers 138, the Frothers have it.

crazywelsh 5th September 2019 18.45:56

[QUOTE=Foxy;2290094]Nodding Dogs 43, Frothers 138, the Frothers have it.[/QUOTE]

It will just be like the brexit vote the nodding dogs won’t accept it.

1984 5th September 2019 18.54:45

Learning on the job aren’t they

Not an easy task for them i agree

But we deserve so much more than on offer

Freddy Salted 5th September 2019 19.08:00

[QUOTE=Foxy;2290094]Nodding Dogs 43, Frothers 138, the Frothers have it.[/QUOTE]

And this is why I won't vote in this poll. The constant need by some people to split the fan base into Nodding Dogs/Happy Clappers/Frothers.
People can't have a view without being categorised by small minded people who also like to insult those who may have a different opinion than them.

Foxy 5th September 2019 19.08:04

[QUOTE=crazywelsh;2290119]It will just be like the brexit vote the nodding dogs won’t accept it.[/QUOTE]

The 2016 vote showed the country divided down the middle between chicken nugget eating quitters and fruit, fish and veg eating remainers. Therefore it isn’t legitimate. Furthermore , since the referendum the demographic change in the electorate (chicken nugget eaters don’t last as long) means that a referendum now without anyone changing their opinion would result in a “remain” vote.

This poll however shows a clear majority in favour of ditching failure.

Huffy 5th September 2019 19.19:06

[QUOTE=Freddy Salted;2290126]And this is why I won't vote in this poll. The constant need by some people to split the fan base into Nodding Dogs/Happy Clappers/Frothers.
People can't have a view without being categorised by small minded people who also like to insult those who may have a different opinion than them.[/QUOTE]

Quite right . Instead of engaging ,its back to the old knit picking

dixienormous 5th September 2019 19.26:23

[QUOTE=Freddy Salted;2290126]And this is why I won't vote in this poll. The constant need by some people to split the fan base into Nodding Dogs/Happy Clappers/Frothers.
People can't have a view without being categorised by small minded people who also like to insult those who may have a different opinion than them.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, how can 40odd people have confidence in a board who have over seven seasons of pure failure, I mean horrific failure on the football front. The decision to hire Hughes with his CV is borderline insanity, and to top it all off, give him a 3year contract. It has to be the end now surely.

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 19.31:07

[QUOTE=Red Dragon Froomie;2289530]Imagine having confidence in a board that gave Bryan Hughes a 3.5 year deal. That's just the most recent blunder...[/QUOTE]

stop posting in hindsight....

if you flip that coin... and hughes done/does REALLY well for us... so wel infact that he was approached by a FL club .. L1 for example ... and we Only had him on a season long deal... then the knives would be sharpened and all would want the boards head on a plate for only offering him a 1 year deal.

same flipside... had Hughes got of to a flyer this season and we had won all or nearly all our games so far.. and if we was sitting pretty atop the league... nobody would be looking for scapegoats.. nobody would be calling for the board or managers head. (well apart from the odd poster like foxy or fog ... but hey we could win the league by christmas and they would find something to moan about).

yes the board have made some odd desicions or wrong ones.. but we all make mistakes...but they have also made lots of good decisions also... and they give up their own time .. to try and do whats best for our club.. as said they may of dropped the ball a few times and could of done better.. but on a whole they have done a sterling job and i fully belieave they have the best interests of the club at heart..

as said tho i think thee main problem is that too many people post with hindsight in mind.... so many calling for hughes and the boards head... if they sacked hughes tomorrow... lots on here would still find a reason to moan about his dismissal.. as thats all some folks on here do... is look for negatives to try cause a stir or drama.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing.... if you had a time machine!

Freddy Salted 5th September 2019 19.31:26

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2290139]Thing is, how can 40odd people have confidence in a board who have over seven seasons of pure failure, I mean horrific failure on the football front. The decision to hire Hughes with his CV is borderline insanity, and to top it all off, give him a 3year contract. It has to be the end now surely.[/QUOTE]

But the 40 odd are still entitled to their opinion without being vilified or insulted or categorised. Not a dig at you personally by the way. It just appears to be stifling debate to me.

NedStarksGhost 5th September 2019 19.32:34

I should never have voted. I explained why I voted yes, and it wasn't simply because I think they do everything right. Far from a nodding dog and will criticise and compliment appropriately. Do not agree with everything the board does, and I'm as frustrated as anyone with who they've handled the football.

Foxy 5th September 2019 19.33:53

[QUOTE=Lets Av A Riot;2290145]stop posting in hindsight....

if you flip that coin... and hughes done/does REALLY well for us... so wel infact that he was approached by a FL club .. L1 for example ... and we Only had him on a season long deal... then the knives would be sharpened and all would want the boards head on a plate for only offering him a 1 year deal.

same flipside... had Hughes got of to a flyer this season and we had won all or nearly all our games so far.. and if we was sitting pretty atop the league... nobody would be looking for scapegoats.. nobody would be calling for the board or managers head. (well apart from the odd poster like foxy or fog ... but hey we could win the league by christmas and they would find something to moan about).
yes the board have made some odd desicions or wrong ones.. but we all make mistakes...but they have also made lots of good decisions also... and they give up their own time .. to try and do whats best for our club.. as said they may of dropped the ball a few times and could of done better.. but on a whole they have done a sterling job and i fully belieave they have the best interests of the club at heart..

as said tho i think thee main problem is that too many people post with hindsight in mind.... so many calling for hughes and the boards head... if they sacked hughes tomorrow... lots on here would still find a reason to moan about his dismissal.. as thats all some folks on here do... is look for negatives to try cause a stir or drama.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing.... if you had a time machine![/QUOTE]

Ha hindsight ! A lot of us called this stupidity for what it is when it happened. That’s called foresight.

Jaded 5th September 2019 19.34:09

If Hughes’s appointment had been welcomed by the vast majority of posters your dig about hindsight might have some validity. In the real world, it really doesn’t.

Colonel D 5th September 2019 19.34:58

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2289762]34 people have confidence in a board who've failed to deliver where it matters for over seven seasons.Isn't football important to you?[/QUOTE]

The majority of members who voted elected them.
Non-members and non-voters can’t complain.

dixienormous 5th September 2019 19.40:46

Hughes failed at Scarborough and fannied about with footgolf, hindsight has nothing to do with it, his CV wouldn't get him an interview at a league of Wales team ffs.

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 19.41:29

[QUOTE=Jaded;2290153]If Hughes’s appointment had been welcomed by the vast majority of posters your dig about hindsight might have some validity. In the real world, it really doesn’t.[/QUOTE]

answer me a question if you may (same for above who quoted me)......

IF we was top of the league right now... playing decent footballl ... and had won majority of our games... do you think the fans would be as angry as they seem now ?

we both know they wouldnt...... hence their anger IS with hindsight...

they go on about the board signing a unproven manager..... so does that mean we should sign a PROVEN manager like GARY MILLS? i mean he came here with an excelent pedigree.. and the massive majority of fans wanted him here when he came. do you think he as a PROVEN manager done well for us? im guessing not.. as he was one of if not thee worst manager we have had since in Non league.

with managers doesnt matter wether experienced or not..... its a risk signing them. same for players.. they may perform well elsewhere.. doesnt mean they will do so here.. its how football is.. its all risks and luck

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 19.42:10

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2290158]Hughes failed at Scarborough and fannied about with footgolf, hindsight has nothing to do with it, his CV wouldn't get him an interview at a league of Wales team ffs.[/QUOTE]

we should re-sign mills then huh? after all he was successfull and done well before he came to us last time......

dixienormous 5th September 2019 19.43:33

[QUOTE=Lets Av A Riot;2290160]we should re-sign mills then huh? after all he was successfull and done well before he came to us last time......[/QUOTE]

You're mad la

NedStarksGhost 5th September 2019 19.46:01

[QUOTE=Lets Av A Riot;2290159]answer me a question if you may (same for above who quoted me)......

IF we was top of the league right now... playing decent footballl ... and had won majority of our games... do you think the fans would be as angry as they seem now ?

they go on about the board signing a unproven manager..... so does that mean we should sign a PROVEN manager like GARY MILLS? i mean he came here with an excelent pedigree.. and the massive majority of fans wanted him here when he came. do you think he as a PROVEN manager done well for us? im guessing not.. as he was one of if not thee worst manager we have had since in Non league.

with managers doesnt matter wether experienced or not..... its a risk signing them. same for players.. they may perform well elsewhere.. doesnt mean they will do so here.. its how football is.. its all risks and luck[/QUOTE]

Why are you asking if people would be angry if we were doing well? It's a moot point, of course they wouldn't be. People don't care about being proven wrong when we do well.

The fact is, the majority of people had no confidence in Hughes, for reasons mentioned above. The reason people are so frustrated and mad is because they could see it coming. Hugely inexperienced, no coaching badges, one failed stint and set up foot golf. Hardly instills confidence does it?

Yes all managers are a risk. Which is why we should go for the right candidate. Someone like Askey, who had recently won promotion with Macclesfield.

It's frustrating to see us hire Bryan Hughes who even the club's media team struggled to say much positive about, over someone like Askey with a good pedigree.

andy buckley 5th September 2019 19.46:15

[QUOTE=Foxy;2290127]The 2016 vote showed the country divided down the middle between chicken nugget eating quitters and fruit, fish and veg eating remainers. Therefore it isn’t legitimate. Furthermore , since the referendum the demographic change in the electorate (chicken nugget eaters don’t last as long) means that a referendum now without anyone changing their opinion would result in a “remain” vote.

This poll however shows a clear majority in favour of ditching failure.[/QUOTE]

The total number of people who have voted equals 5% of Tuesday attendance hardly a representative poll compared with the millions who voted in brexit referendum

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 19.48:29

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2290161]You're mad la[/QUOTE]

so you dont want an experienced manager who has done it in this league.. and you dont want a fledgeling manager .....

who would you sign as manager? i mean i presume you have realistic names in mind if you want hughes to go so badly.

*disclaimer* i think your missing the point im trying to make....that any managerial appointment is a risk. regardless of experience

OneLoveWrexham 5th September 2019 19.49:38

[QUOTE=Lets Av A Riot;2290169]so you dont want an experienced manager who has done it in this league.. and you dont want a fledgeling manager .....

who would you sign as manager? i mean i presume you have realistic names in mind if you want hughes to go so badly.

*disclaimer* i think your missing the point im trying to make....that any managerial appointment is a risk. regardless of experience[/QUOTE]
Some risks are bigger than others though, Bryan Hughes was a gamble of epic proportions

dixienormous 5th September 2019 19.51:27

[QUOTE=Lets Av A Riot;2290169]so you dont want an experienced manager who has done it in this league.. and you dont want a fledgeling manager .....

*disclaimer* i think your missing the point im trying to make....that any managerial appointment is a risk. regardless of experience[/QUOTE]

Of course any appointment is a risk, but hiring Hughes was a risk too far, a bloody ridiculous brain dead decision most people knew would end in tears. Anyone able to find the thread?

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 5th September 2019 19.52:38

[QUOTE=Lets Av A Riot;2290159]answer me a question if you may (same for above who quoted me)......

with managers doesnt matter wether experienced or not..... its a risk signing them. same for players.. they may perform well elsewhere.. doesnt mean they will do so here.. its how football is.. its all risks and luck[/QUOTE]

Some called Hughes and Mills correctly, also that Ricketts would do well. That went against the majority, just saying.
:hurray:

I'd say that was foresight, can't see how you can call those pointing out from day one Hughes being the wrong choice as hindsight.

Baffled.

wafc1926 5th September 2019 19.53:48

[QUOTE=Colonel D;2290154]The majority of members who voted elected them.
Non-members and non-voters can’t complain.[/QUOTE]
The Football Club board was not , and never has been , elected by Members. They are nominated by the WST board and, to a certain extent, self-elected.
My remarks , of course , do not apply with regard to Phil Salmon who was co-opted and is an excellent Director. Perhaps more additions like Phil are required to restore confidence in the Club?

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 19.58:14

[QUOTE=NedStarksGhost;2290164]

The fact is, the majority of people had no confidence in Hughes, for reasons mentioned above. .[/QUOTE]

no they didnt.... they thought he was a risk... i wasnt too happy at all when Hughes was appointed and i personally thought we coulda done much better.

but i accepted that Hughes was a risk that could go either way.

there is a common misconception that im a happy clapper .... but i aint.... but at the same time i aint a so called frother either.i prefer the term realist.

with regards to this season i do think for the most part we DO have a squad good enough to challenge for the title.

but im also in agreeance with many that maybe hughes is NOT the man to do so.

now what i do disagree with strongly.... and think is bang out of order is the abuse that the manager and the board recieve.... As said above im ceetain everybody involved with the club wants us to do well.... hence just because we aint doing briliant ... fans are on the backs of certain people being abusive , offensive and threatening to those people. of which although i appreciate the frustration... i think the abuse etc is wat over the top.. tghis is why i defend people involved with the club. or reply to those who seem to want those in charge hung drawn and quartered.

and for some the reasoning behind their arguments is a load of crap and exagerated ten fold.

Jaded 5th September 2019 20.00:45

I’m sure people would be pleased if we were playing well and top of the league, yes.

While appointing any manager is a risk, some are riskier than others. Or do you think we should just give it to a random fan who’d work cheap? Because you seem to be implying that anyone is equally likely to succeed, which is a bizarre claim to make.

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 20.03:21

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2290173]Some called Hughes and Mills correctly, also that Ricketts would do well. That went against the majority, just saying.
:hurray:

I'd say that was foresight, can't see how you can call those pointing out from day one Hughes being the wrong choice as hindsight.

Baffled.[/QUOTE]

doesnt matter who we sign.. you will get the odd one stating it will work or wont work.... basically somwebody is always going to be right. so your point isnt really a valid one. as i could turn it around to the flip side of your comment and say same thing.of which is a valid reply.

GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo 5th September 2019 20.06:22

[QUOTE=Lets Av A Riot;2290182]doesnt matter who we sign.. you will get the odd one stating it will work or wont work.... basically somwebody is always going to be right. so your point isnt really a valid one. as i could turn it around to the flip side of your comment and say same thing.of which is a valid reply.[/QUOTE]

Umm it is, you mitigate the risks. Hiring someone who struggled doing the same job elsewhere. One who had a drink problem. Or hire the fella who has the correct demeanor, speaks eloquently, wants to drive up standards, can see where vast improvements can be made. Not hard is it?

Even after that it can still go wrong, but it's less likely or certainly not as spectacularly. Like hiring someone who didn't want the job and then changed his mind, indecisiveness is no good either.

1 out of 4 ain't bad I suppose.

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 20.12:28

[QUOTE=Jaded;2290178]
While appointing any manager is a risk, some are riskier than others. Or do you think we should just give it to a random fan who’d work cheap? Because you seem to be implying that anyone is equally likely to succeed, which is a bizarre claim to make.[/QUOTE]

im implying no such thing... although many Fifa 19 players on here seem to think they could/would do a better job.

but i wouldnt for a second suggest we appoint a random fan (where do you even read into that?) .

in Hughes case.. he was a footballer.. he knows the game.. he has played at different levels of football .. he knows the ins and outs "inside" a football club" so ofc id be more implied to suggest somebody with experience in the game has a similar or equal chance to succeed.

since we have been down here .. you could argue we have only had ONE experienced manager ... which was Mills.. of which i dont have to remind you how that went...

all the other Managers we have had since non-league have pretty much been new to management (with exception to Wilkin who was in a Part time Managers role prior to comming here) . some of those new managers done well.. some not so well... as said above.. its a risk.

Lets Av A Riot 5th September 2019 20.13:31

[QUOTE=GiggityGiggityGiggityGoo;2290183]

Even after that it can still go wrong, .[/QUOTE]

BINGO.... i say no more :)

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.36:05.