RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Will football survive Covid-19? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115686-will-football-survive-covid-19-a.html)

The Only Way Is Up 13th May 2020 04.48:28

Will football survive Covid-19?

The link which follows is to a site that is biased towards American news, but on this occasion includes many examples of other countries where sports have been hit by cancellations, postponements and curtailments.

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/more-sports/40-other-times-sports-have-been-temporarily-interrupted/ss-BB13ZAei?ocid=spartanntp#image=1[/url]

Many posters here will not be old enough to appreciate the effect that wars and viruses had on the sports of those days, but the message that is intended is one of seemingly impossible difficulties being overcome in relatively short periods of time.

We worry about the impact on Wrexham of 5 cancelled home games, but is everyone aware that entire seasons have been lost elsewhere at different times?

Survival is not guaranteed, anywhere, but at least if history is anything to go by, it will take more than this present situation to kill off The Beautiful Game.

Foxy 13th May 2020 10.44:13

Re: Will football survive Covid-19?

[QUOTE=The Only Way Is Up;2358340]The link which follows is to a site that is biased towards American news, but on this occasion includes many examples of other countries where sports have been hit by cancellations, postponements and curtailments.

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/more-sports/40-other-times-sports-have-been-temporarily-interrupted/ss-BB13ZAei?ocid=spartanntp#image=1[/url]

Many posters here will not be old enough to appreciate the effect that wars and viruses had on the sports of those days, but the message that is intended is one of seemingly impossible difficulties being overcome in relatively short periods of time.

We worry about the impact on Wrexham of 5 cancelled home games, but is everyone aware that entire seasons have been lost elsewhere at different times?

Survival is not guaranteed, anywhere, but at least if history is anything to go by, it will take more than this present situation to kill off The Beautiful Game.[/QUOTE]

I think your mates who own and run the club pose more threat than Covid and nuclear Armageddon put together.

Hometown Unicorn 13th May 2020 10.46:21

[QUOTE=Foxy;2358416]I think your mates who own and run the club pose more threat than Covid and nuclear Armageddon put together.[/QUOTE]

:crampe::crampe::crampe:

FieldtownRed 13th May 2020 10.48:55

[QUOTE=The Only Way Is Up;2358340]
Survival is not guaranteed, anywhere, but at least if history is anything to go by, it will take more than this present situation to kill off The Beautiful Game.[/QUOTE]

If our recent history is anything to go by, we don't any need outside assistance to kill us off.

Phils-an-alki 13th May 2020 10.54:42

[QUOTE=The Only Way Is Up;2358340]The link which follows is to a site that is biased towards American news, but on this occasion includes many examples of other countries where sports have been hit by cancellations, postponements and curtailments.

Got that egg off your face yet?

NottsRed 13th May 2020 11.00:17

I think we will survive the Covid 19 outbreak but if the same terrible football and ignorant attitude from the board continues we won't last that long.

northwalian dragon 13th May 2020 11.03:05

Club is already slowly dying, to beat the pandemic certain members of the board and Keates must be removed to give us a much much much much much better fighting chance

Also I predict TOWIU gets to page 3 before throwing around insults

Phils-an-alki 13th May 2020 11.06:57

[QUOTE=northwalian dragon;2358426]Club is already slowly dying, to beat the pandemic certain members of the board and Keates must be removed to give us a much much much much much better fighting chance

Also I predict TOWIU gets to page 3 before throwing around insults[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised he's got the nerve to still post after the complete fool he made of himself on here recently.

northwalian dragon 13th May 2020 11.10:07

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2358429]I'm surprised he's got the nerve to still post after the complete fool he made of himself on here recently.[/QUOTE]

His condescending attitude and know-it-all-ism makes it even more hilarious when he trips over himself

I can't wait for another one of his conspiracy theories :hurray:

Funny_Old_Game 13th May 2020 11.10:40

They will definitely be using the Coronavirus excuse to mask their failings. It’ll be the new “at least we’re not Bury” etc.

willyheckerslike 13th May 2020 11.39:23

We're already a dead duck......the Covid-19 pandemic just adds the final serving of orange sauce to the cooked bird!

Lord Derfyl Cadarn 13th May 2020 12.59:08

Football generally bounces back. I remember reading an article years ago after Man City signed Steve Dalley for £1m. Football was in crisis with hooliganism, falling attendances and dilapidated stadiums. The gist of the article was that no club would ever pay £1m for a player again as football was not sustainable. I recall thinking what a load of old twaddle. Football always bounces back.

Wreck Sam 13th May 2020 13.55:07

Not with Keates in charge it wont...

LlayDragon 13th May 2020 15.25:39

I expect football will survive.

Whether people will come back at Wrexham to watch it is another matter.

Quay Red 13th May 2020 15.50:59

Football will bounce back. Fans will return to the Racecourse despite the manager, hierarchy and crap football.
How soon fans can attend will be another matter and leagues 1 & 2 plus non league clubs will find it difficult if not impossible to continue without match day revenue.

Phils-an-alki 13th May 2020 16.07:04

[QUOTE=LlayDragon;2358503]I expect football will survive.

Whether people will come back at Wrexham to watch it is another matter.[/QUOTE]

There will be an initial clamour to get back to the Racecourse because everyone has been unexpectedly starved of football.
I suspect though that the clamour will soon die a death when the reality of 'keatesball' hits home. That might take 10 minutes into the first match or a few games I don't think it'll be long.

northwalian dragon 13th May 2020 16.59:16

[QUOTE=Quay Red;2358511]Football will bounce back. Fans will return to the Racecourse despite the manager, hierarchy and crap football [/QUOTE]

Will they? 1200 down on average attendance since Keates returned

Many expressing they won’t be returning without changes

Fans don’t support the club home and away for 40+ years based just off poor results and bad performances

sparky 13th May 2020 18.11:10

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2358429]I'm surprised he's got the nerve to still post after the complete fool he made of himself on here recently.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. What a truly abhorrent individual. The fact that he and his ilk own the club makes it worse.

Still, credit where credit is due, they have played the long game and have come out on top. They must be delighted with how it's gone.

KM Red 13th May 2020 18.27:11

Have to admit I am surprised how little comment there is on here about the Covid 19 effect on football. Not sure it has dawned on many that it is very unlikely the National League will resume anytime soon. My best guess would be January 2021 or August 2021.

The survival of the vast majority of clubs is at stake. Moaning about the WST or Keates does come across as a bit trivial compared to the threat the virus poses to Wrexham AFC. The club has got real problems who ever owns it unless can find a billionaire. Even the bloke who owns AFC Fylde is making big cuts and calling for a salary cap. He was worth an estimated 250 million before the pandemic ffs.

Is is frightening how bloody insular we have become !

KM Red 13th May 2020 18.33:11

[QUOTE=sparky;2358566]Indeed.[B] What a truly abhorrent individual. The fact that he and his ilk own the club makes it worse.[/B]

Still, credit where credit is due, they have played the long game and have come out on top. They must be delighted with how it's gone.[/QUOTE]

The club is owned by Wrexham supporters. So are you saying that about everyone ?

LlayDragon 13th May 2020 18.41:31

[QUOTE=KM Red;2358570]The club is owned by Wrexham supporters. So are you saying that about everyone ?[/QUOTE]

The club is financed by Wrexham fans.

Calling them owners is rather a stretch.

Foxy 13th May 2020 18.52:53

[QUOTE=KM Red;2358570]The club is owned by Wrexham supporters. So are you saying that about everyone ?[/QUOTE]

I think we have done this debate to death and proved it beyond doubt that the club is not owned by Wrexham supporters. To repeat for the millionth time, it is owned by a small, activist and utterly useless clique. That clique needs running out of town.

Hightown Brymbo Red 13th May 2020 18.56:14

I will not hand over a penny more until real change has happened at the club

standman 13th May 2020 18.59:16

[QUOTE=KM Red;2358570]The club is owned by Wrexham supporters.[/QUOTE]

Owners have a say in the running of the business which they own, owners requests and wishes are followed by those that run the business for them so exactly how we are classed as owners I really don’t know. We are treated like complete mugs by a select few delivering failure, is that the the duty that has been asked of them?

ruthinred 13th May 2020 20.08:32

It's a funny one because you could make a case that Covid has saved Wrexham FC from catostrophe

Vital we clear the decks now before going again

Corner Flag 13th May 2020 20.12:54

[QUOTE=standman;2358578]Owners have a say in the running of the business which they own, owners requests and wishes are followed by those that run the business for them so exactly how we are classed as owners I really don’t know. We are treated like complete mugs by a select few delivering failure, is that the the duty that has been asked of them?[/QUOTE]

Stop giving them any money then see what they will do. I miss sitting with my friends every other Saturday but dont miss the turgid football . Problem is ghose in charge think they are immune to criticism and just carry on regardless with failure after failure.
Will the club survive ? of course it will but the League in its present form wont and I fully expect to see a regional combined EFL and National League set up based on teams locations .

FieldtownRed 14th May 2020 06.12:28

[QUOTE=ruthinred;2358588]It's a funny one because you could make a case that Covid has saved Wrexham FC from catostrophe

Vital we clear the decks now before going again[/QUOTE]

You could also argue that Covid has assisted our demise as many fans have come to realise there are so many more important and enjoyable things in life than Wrexham FC

bowler 14th May 2020 07.30:31

Only for coronavirus a demonstration outside the ground with the same passion as against Hamilton or to a lesser degree The Two Robbers could have been the kickup the backside this lot need. Shame really

cynprifathro 14th May 2020 08.19:32

Will Wrexham FC survive within the English pyramid system? New thread perhaps...

Quay Red 14th May 2020 08.30:22

[QUOTE=cynprifathro;2358641]Will Wrexham FC survive within the English pyramid system? New thread perhaps...[/QUOTE]

I'd rather restart at the bottom of the English pyramid than the p1sstake that's the Welsh Premier .

Phils-an-alki 14th May 2020 08.52:40

"Owned by Wrexham Supporters" :crampe::crampe:

Didn't think there was anyone left who actually believed this WST propaganda. Wakey wakey

The WST or to be more precise, Pete coaches and his band of cronies have taken us backwards and we're becoming more and more like Chester as each week and scandal passes.

WST is slowly turning us into Chester. Give yourselves a pat on the back chaps.

KM Red 14th May 2020 10.46:34

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2358653]"Owned by Wrexham Supporters" :crampe::crampe:

Didn't think there was anyone left who actually believed this WST propaganda. Wakey wakey

The WST or to be more precise, Pete coaches and his band of cronies have taken us backwards and we're becoming more and more like Chester as each week and scandal passes.

WST is slowly turning us into Chester. Give yourselves a pat on the back chaps.[/QUOTE]

The club is [B]run[/B] by a small set of people but it is [B]owned[/B] by every member of the WST. The fact that you and many others on here fail to grasp that somewhat simple concept says something about you and those to subscribe to the same theory.

Why not get in touch with that bloke Murphy that Chester have told to get lost ? A mate of mine reckons he is really a Tranmere Rovers fan. He claims to have money so he could be your man ?

OneLoveWrexham 14th May 2020 10.51:06

[QUOTE=KM Red;2358670]The club is [B]run[/B] by a small set of people but it is [B]owned[/B] by every member of the WST. The fact that you and many others on here fail to grasp that somewhat simple concept says something about you and those to subscribe to the same theory.

Why not get in touch with that bloke Murphy that Chester have told to get lost ? A mate of mine reckons he is really a Tranmere Rovers fan. He claims to have money so he could be your man ?[/QUOTE]
I am assuming you have ‘part owner of Wrexham FC’ on your twitter bio

Phils-an-alki 14th May 2020 11.10:37

[QUOTE=KM Red;2358670]The club is [B]run[/B] by a small set of people but it is [B]owned[/B] by every member of the WST. The fact that you and many others on here fail to grasp that somewhat simple concept says something about you and those to subscribe to the same theory.

Why not get in touch with that bloke Murphy that Chester have told to get lost ? A mate of mine reckons he is really a Tranmere Rovers fan. He claims to have money so he could be your man ?[/QUOTE]

So if I own part of the club, wanna buy my share?
Oh no wait I can't sell it. What does that tell you?

We grasp it, the reality of it is different though. How come you haven't grasped the reality of it yet?
WST members fund the club, nothing else, [B]we own nothing[/B].

Have you missed the fact that the WST and Club boards pick and choose what members can vote on? You must have.

We voted to get the ground lease but no vote on the training ground. Again you must have missed this.

Brain washed by pete coaches and his cronies. Its the hard of thinking for themselves like you that have brought the club to where it is today. Do you feel proud of yourself? *slow clap

Phils-an-alki 14th May 2020 11.11:09

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2358671]I am assuming you have ‘part owner of Wrexham FC’ on your twitter bio[/QUOTE]

Probably got a tattoo of it as well.

Imagine being that brain washed? :eek:

KM Red 14th May 2020 11.46:59

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2358675]So if I own part of the club, wanna buy my share?
Oh no wait I can't sell it. What does that tell you?

We grasp it, the reality of it is different though. How come you haven't grasped the reality of it yet?
WST members fund the club, nothing else, [B]we own nothing[/B].

Have you missed the fact that the WST and Club boards pick and choose what members can vote on? You must have.

We voted to get the ground lease but no vote on the training ground. Again you must have missed this.

Brain washed by pete coaches and his cronies. Its the hard of thinking for themselves like you that have brought the club to where it is today. Do you feel proud of yourself? *slow clap[/QUOTE]

Grasp all of that thanks. Almost everything you have said is about the way the club is run not about ownership. There needs to be changes in the way the club is run. I would agree with some of your criticism.

So when it boils down to it do you want private ownership or supporter ownership ? There are alternatives in between 51/49 etc. So which is your preferred option ?

KM Red 14th May 2020 11.48:30

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2358671]I am assuming you have ‘part owner of Wrexham FC’ on your twitter bio[/QUOTE]

Not on twitter so your assumption is 100% wrong :)

KM Red 14th May 2020 11.50:43

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2358676]Probably got a tattoo of it as well.

Imagine being that brain washed? :eek:[/QUOTE]

You just love abusing fellow Wrexham fans don't you ?

Phils-an-alki 14th May 2020 12.15:27

[QUOTE=KM Red;2358682]You just love abusing fellow Wrexham fans don't you ?[/QUOTE]

How on earth do you think that's abuse? What a drama queen.

Phils-an-alki 14th May 2020 12.21:50

[QUOTE=KM Red;2358680]Grasp all of that thanks. Almost everything you have said is about the way the club is run not about ownership. There needs to be changes in the way the club is run. I would agree with some of your criticism.

So when it boils down to it do you want private ownership or supporter ownership ? There are alternatives in between 51/49 etc. So which is your preferred option ?[/QUOTE]

Nope you said we were owners. We are not. Glad you've come round though.
Used to think fan ownership was the way but now I don't think it can work. I may be wrong but our model is utterly flawed in its current form. Not enough fans buy into it and not enough vote on resolutions and that won't change. Your average everyday fans just wants to watch games.

Fans who think that all private owners are crooks need to look at nearly every other league club and have a rethink.

The evidence is that private ownership is by far the most successful way. 50/50 might work too. I'm open to anything bar carrying on as we are.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 00.37:01.