RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   January window (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/116791-january-window.html)

davewilli 24th December 2020 10.33:11

January window

Put the takeover and opinions on DK to one side.

January is a week away and other NL clubs have already been getting players in. We are reasonably well placed after a quarter of the season gone but with this stop, start season there will be very heavy fixture list in the new year Covid permiting and we need freshening up and cover in key positions if we are to kick on.

Priority 1 - has to be a striker, we are short up top with Ponticelli's fitness issues and Bickerstaff a rookie and Yussaf looking better from the bench.

Priority 2 - a central midfielder to compete and compliment Harris and Young.

A centre back if we are to continue playing with 3 centre backs to compete with the 3 and not to have to rely on young Cleworth (or Reckord or Carrington filling in) for an extensive period. Failing that we need to be able to switch back to a 4 quickly if needed, making it more important to get another experienced midfielder in.

We have a number of number 10s or wide players but as yet no one has grasped those positions and put in any consistent performances so a candidate should be lined up and the situation scrutinised over the next few games.

Prodigal Dragon 24th December 2020 10.41:52

Re: January window

It’s a chicken and egg predicament: can’t create so we can’t score; can’t score because we can’t create.

Regardless, we ideally need 2 goal scoring strikers, a midfield general and a creative midfielder.

Come on Santa, bring it on!:)

TopCornerFergie 24th December 2020 10.54:44

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2421644]It’s a chicken and egg predicament: can’t create so we can’t score; can’t score because we can’t create.

Regardless, we ideally need 2 goal scoring strikers, a midfield general and a creative midfielder.

Come on Santa, bring it on!:)[/QUOTE]

I think we can create and we've got the likes of Young, Davies, Durrell and Jarvis to do it

Our strikers are the problem, it's as if the ball goes flat whenever it goes into the feet of Thomas, Ponticelli and Yussuf

Keates and Darlington seem bereft of ideas when it comes to the opposition's penalty area

OneLoveWrexham 24th December 2020 11.02:34

I am happy where we’re as we have the ‘best squad we’ve had In years’

But... full backs are a massive problem defensively and going forward, centre backs are another problem, midfield is weak as piss and don’t create anything, wide men are non existent and up front is the worst we’ve had for a long time so basically half a squad needed in January as results, stats, everything points to a dull mid table side.

Prodigal Dragon 24th December 2020 11.03:10

[QUOTE=TopCornerFergie;2421649]I think we can create and we've got the likes of Young, Davies, Durrell and Jarvis to do it

Our strikers are the problem, it's as if the ball goes flat whenever it goes into the feet of Thomas, Ponticelli and Yussuf

Keates and Darlington seem bereft of ideas when it comes to the opposition's penalty area[/QUOTE]

Thomas seems very poor.

Ponticelli looks worse than he is. Lack of fitness and trying too hard to score.

Yussuf is an enigma. Not fully fit, but also looks NFI most of the time. However, he still looks the one most likely to score.

Those midfielders must go up a gear.

New faces might help the cause, if chosen wisely.

Prodigal Dragon 24th December 2020 11.06:26

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2421652]I am happy where we’re as we have the ‘best squad we’ve had In years’

But... full backs are a massive problem defensively and going forward, centre backs are another problem, midfield is weak as piss and don’t create anything, wide men are non existent and up front is the worst we’ve had for a long time so basically half a squad needed in January as results, stats, everything points to a dull mid table side.[/QUOTE]

Don’t totally disagree, but we cannot change everything overnight. That must wait until the summer, when we hopefully have someone who understands what’s required.

Meanwhile, I still think 2 good midfielders and a striker would get us into the POs, albeit it won’t necessarily be good to watch.

OneLoveWrexham 24th December 2020 11.09:25

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2421655]Don’t totally disagree, but we cannot change everything overnight. That must wait until the summer, when we hopefully have someone who understands what’s required.

Meanwhile, I still think 2 good midfielders and a striker would get us into the POs, albeit it won’t necessarily be good to watch.[/QUOTE]
I agree to get in the playoffs, the biggest problem is Keates and Darlington’s negative approach and slow start starting games on the back foot. The negative football in engrained into these players and they can’t show any flair, when was the last time we seen a player score a goal out of nothing? Dom Vose when he scored that wonder goal?

dixienormous 24th December 2020 11.13:18

New management is the first thing we need.

Prodigal Dragon 24th December 2020 11.25:44

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2421659]I agree to get in the playoffs, the biggest problem is Keates and Darlington’s negative approach and slow start starting games on the back foot. The negative football in engrained into these players and they can’t show any flair, when was the last time we seen a player score a goal out of nothing? Dom Vose when he scored that wonder goal?[/QUOTE]

The management are the next root cause that need replacing. However, unsure how quickly that will occur. Sooner the better, but the replacements need to be available and signed up.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.24:49.