RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Players under contract beyond the end of the season (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/116810-players-under-contract-beyond-end-season.html)

DenbighRed 29th December 2020 05.39:51

Players under contract beyond the end of the season

Which players are under contract beyond the end of this season?

Just been day-dreaming about what we can look forward to post takeover and it occurred to me if a new manager comes in they'll have massive flexibility to shape the squad. I have a feeling not many players are contracted beyond the end of this season so the new manager won't be hamstrung by inheriting a load of players they can't get rid of.

Better times are coming.

Ddraigoch 29th December 2020 06.30:22

Re: Players under contract beyond the end of the season

Jordan Ponticelli
Dan Jarvis?

WrexSi 29th December 2020 06.50:56

While we are on this topic, is there ANY player in the current squad who we believe is of the quality and commitment to be part of a promotion winning Wrexham team???

waxcrayon 29th December 2020 07.05:47

Bobby grant

Back of the Kop 29th December 2020 07.16:53

[QUOTE=WrexSi;2422832]While we are on this topic, is there ANY player in the current squad who we believe is of the quality and commitment to be part of a promotion winning Wrexham team???[/QUOTE]

Rob Lainton.

Ends

sparky 29th December 2020 07.20:32

Laighton.

Davies, possibly Young.

Back of the Kop 29th December 2020 07.26:00

[QUOTE=sparky;2422838]Laighton.

Davies, possibly Young.[/QUOTE]

Young is vastly overrated. Wouldn't have got on the bench in the 98 point team and they didn't go up either.

We need to rip this team apart if we want promotion next season

OneLoveWrexham 29th December 2020 07.31:11

[QUOTE=WrexSi;2422832]While we are on this topic, is there ANY player in the current squad who we believe is of the quality and commitment to be part of a promotion winning Wrexham team???[/QUOTE]
None, I wouldn’t keep any of the current crop or serial losers not even Rutherford.

WrexSi 29th December 2020 07.32:19

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2422840]Young is vastly overrated. Wouldn't have got on the bench in the 98 point team and they didn't go up either.

We need to rip this team apart if we want promotion next season[/QUOTE]

This is the thing.

There’s quite a difference between the quality to just about scrape into a play off spot, vs a player who is absolutely of the ability and mindset to gun our way to automatic promotion.

Sorry to the OP for any discussions around my question as it’s kinda hijacked the original post!

WrexSi 29th December 2020 07.33:09

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2422841]None, I wouldn’t keep any of the current crop or serial losers not even Rutherford.[/QUOTE]

Gasp, not even Ruthers! :eek::):):)

WrexSi 29th December 2020 07.34:18

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2422840]Young is vastly overrated. Wouldn't have got on the bench in the 98 point team and they didn't go up either.

We need to rip this team apart if we want promotion next season[/QUOTE]

Just for the record, this is my view too. I think we have a few with the mindset and heart..... Lainton, Young, Pearson....but....

OneLoveWrexham 29th December 2020 07.35:52

I agree on Young, he has scored a couple of crackers but what has he achieved in normal play? Have you even noticed he’s playing this season?

Back of the Kop 29th December 2020 07.36:47

[QUOTE=WrexSi;2422844]Just for the record, this is my view too. I think we have a few with the mindset and heart..... Lainton, Young, Pearson....but....[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we've been down here that long we've started to accept mediocrity.

standman 29th December 2020 07.44:35

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2422846]Exactly, we've been down here that long we've started to accept mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

‘We’ didn’t but ‘they’ the board and their 29 followers did.

Percy Sugden 29th December 2020 07.51:45

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2422845]I agree on Young, he has scored a couple of crackers but what has he achieved in normal play? Have you even noticed he’s playing this season?[/QUOTE]

Torquay got relegated with young playing in the centre. He’s another that gives his all but sadly isn’t quite at the standard he needs to be.

Somebody mentioned the 98 point season. I can’t think of a single current player that would challenge for a starting place in that side (disregarding we now have an older jay harris).

krux 29th December 2020 08.20:40

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2422845]I agree on Young, he has scored a couple of crackers but what has he achieved in normal play? Have you even noticed he’s playing this season?[/QUOTE]

I feel sorry for Young. He is an average conference player expected to be this teams star player.

If he had Kyle Storrer and Connor Jennings alongside him he would be fine
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

-luke 29th December 2020 08.53:26

[QUOTE=krux;2422855]I feel sorry for Young. He is an average conference player expected to be this teams star player.

If he had Kyle Storrer and Connor Jennings alongside him he would be fine
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

It wasn't long ago we were praising him for being the one player who seemed to cover every inch of the pitch in multiple games... Young is a decent player but there's a limit on what one player can achieve. I think criticising young is very harsh personally.

Gives his all and when allowed to play does make an impact but I'm never quite sure what his true position is. Made to look worse via a combination of balls which constantly bypass the midfield and playing alongside Harris who not only gives the ball away far too often, but has actually lost the edge in his play that made him an appealing signing... Cant get close to a man to make those crunching tackles that we enjoy so much, instead ends up on his arse or worse throwing those tackles in so late that they are simply dangerous and reckless. Doesn't get on the ball in the right areas now to contribute with those goals from distance either. He is one of a number of reasons for our poor performances.

Durrell seems to have given up too. Which begs the question... Just who is capable of providing any midfield creativity? Only positive last night for me was Jordan Davies until ruthers came on, after which both him and ruthers were pretty much anonymous.

OriginalRhylRed 29th December 2020 08.57:02

bar Lainton get rid of the lot of them

mattw 29th December 2020 10.09:20

[QUOTE=OriginalRhylRed;2422861]bar Lainton get rid of the lot of them[/QUOTE]

Lainton isn’t all that and as for the comment earlier that it’s only him and Pearson with the right mindset... laughable. No team with Pearson in will get out of this league

WrexSi 29th December 2020 10.23:40

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2422846]Exactly, we've been down here that long we've started to accept mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

That’s what crossed my mind with the Stockport result.

It’s like Losing is Acceptable.

No one in the squad or the coaching team has got the guts or guile to think how we might actually be able to go about getting some points from Edgeley Park.

Instead it was negative stuff, roll over, accept defeat, go again next week.

It’s probably a poor example but look at Allardyce with West Brom, he set up his team for shithousery admittedly, but he was simply not going to Anfield to gift the points. He had a plan and he will have done what our coaching team never do, he will have put fire in the bellies of every player, to get out there and scrap for a result. And they got one.

Why can’t we set out to Achieve?

WrexSi 29th December 2020 10.24:50

[QUOTE=mattw;2422892]Lainton isn’t all that and as for the comment earlier that it’s only him and Pearson with the right mindset... laughable. No team with Pearson in will get out of this league[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say they are necessarily promotion chasing quality, I said they at least have the mindset.
Most of the squad have Neither of these things.

OneLoveWrexham 29th December 2020 10.26:01

I am guessing many on here will still want to keep Rutherford as ‘every squad needs one’

WrexSi 29th December 2020 10.29:27

[QUOTE=mattw;2422892]Lainton isn’t all that and as for the comment earlier that it’s only him and Pearson with the right mindset... laughable. No team with Pearson in will get out of this league[/QUOTE]

By the way, I’ll step back and allow you to be the one to say to Pearson that he doesn’t have the mindset to get out of this league.

Back of the Kop 29th December 2020 12.22:16

Didn't Pearson get promoted out of this league with Grimsby ?

Back of the Kop 29th December 2020 12.28:51

[QUOTE=WrexSi;2422897]That’s what crossed my mind with the Stockport result.

It’s like Losing is Acceptable.

No one in the squad or the coaching team has got the guts or guile to think how we might actually be able to go about getting some points from Edgeley Park.

Instead it was negative stuff, roll over, accept defeat, go again next week.

It’s probably a poor example but look at Allardyce with West Brom, he set up his team for shithousery admittedly, but he was simply not going to Anfield to gift the points. He had a plan and he will have done what our coaching team never do, he will have put fire in the bellies of every player, to get out there and scrap for a result. And they got one.

Why can’t we set out to Achieve?[/QUOTE]

Agree, there's a big difference between being hard to beat and setting up for a draw every game

We are setting up to draw and other teams know it which is why we are finding ourselves 2-0 down early on far too often

Winning the game doesn't even cross our minds unless we drag ourselves back into a game or we miraculously don't concede first half.

We can't carry on in this way

WrexSi 29th December 2020 12.37:18

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2422950]Agree, there's a big difference between being hard to beat and setting up for a draw every game

We are setting up to draw and other teams know it which is why we are finding ourselves 2-0 down early on far too often

Winning the game doesn't even cross our minds unless we drag ourselves back into a game or we miraculously don't concede first half.

We can't carry on in this way[/QUOTE]

Spot on mate :hurray::)

northwalian dragon 29th December 2020 12.38:26

Comparisons to the 98 point team are moot

The standard of this league has dropped rapidly since those years. Makes the WSTs failures even more glaring

-luke 29th December 2020 15.02:23

[QUOTE=Back of the Kop;2422948]Didn't Pearson get promoted out of this league with Grimsby ?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Back of the Kop 29th December 2020 15.26:42

Confirmed.....Pearson has the mindset to get out of this league because he's done it, which makes you look a bit silly.......and I think Lainton is good enough for League 2 personally

sparky 29th December 2020 15.35:04

[QUOTE=northwalian dragon;2422956]Comparisons to the 98 point team are moot

The standard of this league has dropped rapidly since those years. Makes the WSTs failures even more glaring[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Fleetwood, Crawley, Burton, Mansfield, FGR etc all had to fight hard to get out of non league. Those teams would be topping 120 points in 2021. Any well organised club with a decent budget and manager would walk this league, such is the low standard of it currently and recently. Yet, yet here we are again. Those involved and those who have gone along with this pantomime should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, but maybe more importantly, nowhere to be seen when things change.

Lods 29th December 2020 15.43:07

To answer the question, it's Ponticelli and Davies who are both contracted until 2022. Maybe Grant with his ever-extending contract.

So, a potentially big squad re-haul will come at the end of the season. Who I'd keep are Lainton (obviously), Young and Harris under the condition we actually sign a midfielder to go with them who is over six foot tall, and I'd also keep the back three we have.

I think a big problem our defence has at the moment is that they're under constant pressure because we never seem to retain possession.

Redpensioner 29th December 2020 16.10:18

[QUOTE=Lods;2423000]To answer the question, it's Ponticelli and Davies who are both contracted until 2022. Maybe Grant with his ever-extending contract.

So, a potentially big squad re-haul will come at the end of the season. Who I'd keep are Lainton (obviously), Young and Harris under the condition we actually sign a midfielder to go with them who is over six foot tall, and I'd also keep the back three we have.

I think a big problem our defence has at the moment is that they're under constant pressure because we never seem to retain possession.[/QUOTE]

You would keep Young and Harris and the back three, really, Young at a push.

Number6 29th December 2020 16.34:17

personally I think Lainton doesn't command his area enough and is weak on crosses, this pushes the back 4 deep to protect him.

OneLoveWrexham 29th December 2020 16.58:43

[QUOTE=Lods;2423000]To answer the question, it's Ponticelli and Davies who are both contracted until 2022. Maybe Grant with his ever-extending contract.

I think a big problem our defence has at the moment is that they're under constant pressure because we never seem to retain possession.[/QUOTE]
I was told 6 years ago that Harris was finished by the ‘experts’ on here when he dominated a few games whilst playing for the tramps but unfortunately he is finished now so get rid. We need experienced players but we need players who are comfortable on the ball and will dominate games with the ball not bombing around trying to get himself sent off and then getting nightly injuries which he’s had throughout his career

Birdy 29th December 2020 23.13:38

Just release the lot. We will be able to pick and choose once we are minted.

Cenotaff 30th December 2020 00.01:01

Young would be good back-up as a squad member at the least. When you're talking rotation/back-up, if Luke Young is that, then you're doing well for yourself. He may not be title winning material but he is the sort of squad member you would want. There will be far worse players than Young who have gone up being back-up.

LlayDragon 30th December 2020 10.02:04

[QUOTE=Cenotaff;2423072]Young would be good back-up as a squad member at the least. When you're talking rotation/back-up, if Luke Young is that, then you're doing well for yourself. He may not be title winning material but he is the sort of squad member you would want. There will be far worse players than Young who have gone up being back-up.[/QUOTE]

He could take Ruthers' mantle.

Tom wafc 30th December 2020 10.32:43

Young isn't looking the best because he's having to do all the work in midfield as Harris is finished. Also with Keatsball we are bypassing the midfield to hoof it up to Thomas. Put a decent midfielder next to him and get a proper manager, we would see the player we know he can be.

moynkeepthefaith 30th December 2020 10.56:53

[QUOTE=Tom wafc;2423104]Young isn't looking the best because he's having to do all the work in midfield as Harris is finished. Also with Keatsball we are bypassing the midfield to hoof it up to Thomas. Put a decent midfielder next to him and get a proper manager, we would see the player we know he can be.[/QUOTE]

This ,for me, is exactly the right point. Any creativity Young possesses is lost as he compensates for grumpy grandad Harris. He also has to cover centre halves with the acceleration of a Lada.

sparky 30th December 2020 11.07:11

[QUOTE=Cenotaff;2423072]Young would be good back-up as a squad member at the least. When you're talking rotation/back-up, if Luke Young is that, then you're doing well for yourself. He may not be title winning material but he is the sort of squad member you would want. There will be far worse players than Young who have gone up being back-up.[/QUOTE]

Bang on.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.01:26.