View Single Post
Old 11th October 2016, 15.18:14   #404-0 (permalink)
Blenheimjack

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Smile Re: New (and old) RP'ers Introduce Yourselves...

Hello to all you Wrexham fans. I have been a supporter of the reds since the very first game that I saw at the racecourse in the 1940s it was against Leyton Orient, in those days if Wrexham scored a goal you could hear the roar in the town centre.
My memories are mainly from the 50s and the 60s My best moment was at Reading for a 2nd round replay in the F A cup, a moment that I will treasure was hearing the final whistle of a FA cup replay against Reading at Elm Park. The first game at the racecourse on the Saturday ended in a 1--1 draw, the draw was made on the following Monday, and it drew Reading or Wrexham at home to Manchester united. The response from the Wrexham fans was fantastic with thousands of reds fans going to Reading for the replay. Wrexham scored first with a great goal from Johnny Anderson, Reading got an equalising goal later, but the game was won near the end by Wrexham with a spectacular 35 yard rocket from one of the best players ever to wear a Wrexham shirt,the late great, Ronnie Hewitt. When the game ended the pitch was swamped with Wrexham fans, and who could blame them, the result meant that Wrexham from the old 3rd division north were going to play the mighty Busby babes from Manchester United at the racecourse. At that time Wrexham had gone 18 league games and three FA cup games including the Reading replay making a total of 21 games unbeaten. The Racecourse was packed for the replay with over 30 thousand which I believe is still the record attendance for the Racecourse ground. Manchester United came to the racecourse with a full first team and they beat Wrexham 5-0 but what a game we had we saw the great Duncan Edwards and His team at their best, Tommy Taylor scored a hat trick. Shortly after this game came the tragic air disaster that killed so many of this great Manchester United team. But I look back and think how lucky I was to have seen Wrexham football club in one of the best periods of their history.