View Single Post
Old 18th July 2017, 22.55:54   #27-0 (permalink)
Red Light
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Warrington game reaction

Wrexham started in their familiar red and white strip - Mackreth was missing from the team sheet with a minor strain. We started with Gime and Holroyd up front and Hurst at right back with Dunn returning in goal. The playing surface was poor, the pitch was poorly cut, dry, hard and uneven.

Early on Jennings sustained what appeared to be a minor injury and was replaced by Akil Wright who moved into midfield with Carrington moving to the left back position.

First half we had a number of good chances - after about 15 minutes following a mistake in the Warrington defence Holroyd had a free run on goal and a one on one he failed to convert - the Warrington keeper making the save.

Akil Wright made a fantastic run through the Warrington half eventually pulling back to Gime who’s shot was saved. Holroyd also had a good volley from the edge of the box which was well saved but he wasn’t to be denied and as half time approached following a cross from the right flank by Hurst opened the scoring to give us a half time lead.

Second half continued in the same pattern - we had lots of possession against a stubborn gritty Warrington side.

Part way through the half the strikeforce was changed - Boden and Massanka replacing the ineffective Gime and Holroyd. After a few minutes Boden latched onto the ball and put a lovely shot high into the net.

Late on Rutherford was replaced by Leo Smith.

Dunn had not been troubled all match and had not had a save to made - Wrexham gained a corner and from it, Warrington broke forward fast against an outnumbered rearguard - the Warrington striker cutting in from the left flank and putting a cross shot across Dunn into the far corner to gain Warrington a consolation.

Final score Warrington Town 1 Wrexham 2
Attendance 547 (majority from Wrexham)

My man of the match - Pearson was awesome in the centre of defence.
Wedgebury was everywhere in the midfield and at times linked well with Kelly and Wright.
If I had to select a pair of strikers to start the first league game it would currently be Boden & Holroyd with Massanka in third place - Gime is down the pecking order and seems to need one or two touches too many before shooting by which time the opportunity is lost.
Right back continues to concern me - Hurst repeatedly played hoofball in the first half but I thought had a better game in the second. Carrington had significant possession first half on the left flank but to win games someone has to take responsibility and move the ball forward - unfortunately Carra only goes sideways or backwards.
Up front we need more firepower - Gime is not the answer (and I’ve seen him in 4 pre season matches now) - a tall target man is needed - and quickly.