View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2017, 10.19:30   #28-0 (permalink)
Sandgrounder
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Nantwich Verdict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzarella View Post
It was my first preseason friendly this summer.

Dibble: didn't have much to do other than pick the ball out of the net once, he's certainly in his defenders' ears but we'll see him have busier games.
Jennings: we know about him.
Manny: Ditto
Hurst: Looks ok but I don't remember him being involved in much.
Marx: Doesn't look ready for our first team regularly. Not a very assured performance.
Roberts: Looks a good player and will help with attack, but looked a bit unfit to me. Maybe his preseason at Halifax has been a bit lacking.
Ruthers: We know about him but I think he looks fitter and faster.
Kelly: looks a great little player, composed and can pass a ball.
Wright: Said he isn't known for his goal scoring and he wasn't kidding, but he's a good physical presence and he can tackle and run and didn't do a lot wrong other than blaze his shots anywhere other than at the goal.
Leo Smith: Didn't have as much of the ball out wide but he's coming on nicely as a player generally. I think he's got a good future.
Jimmy: Harsh but I wasn't at all impressed and I hope we don't sign him unless he's incredibly cheap. However, strikers are funny creatures, I thought Morrell and Walters were crap when I first saw them, so I'd love to be proved wrong.
Boden: Didn't get much ammunition today but he looks like an intelligent player with tidy feet.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Roberts and Mackreth overlap and link up.
Do we have a few knocks and niggles? I didn't see Wedge, Mackreth or Holroyd today.

Overall we seemed a bit toothless up top today as I think Jimmy was the weakest link, so the sooner we get another good striker the better.
That's pretty much how I saw it too. The only thing I'll add is re Wright: first half an hour or so, I was really impressed, obviously a big unit but got a nice touch, took up some proper midfield positions and kept the game moving with some nice, short but quick balls. After that, he faded out a bit, started trying to hit longer balls which never got there and the Nantwich players started reading his short passes, so maybe needs to vary it a bit. Also, without meaning o get at the lad, I'm not a fan of midfielders blazing over the bar from 25 or 30 yards out: that's not what they're there for and they should be looking to work the ball closer.

It was also my first game along with several others, it seems (obviously we've all had the same thought and kept our eye on the game half an hour down the road!)

Re the 442 v 433 question, we weren't very good yesterday playing the former but the fact we retained Rutherford and signed Mackreth surely suggest that is what we are going to play. I'm also not sure that Wright would b mobile enough to play in a 3.