Thread: RIP Mick Vinter
View Single Post
Old 21st January 2020, 22.53:29   #57-0 (permalink)
Red Light
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: RIP Mick Vinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted mcwhirter View Post
Me and me bro slept on a mate's floor in Fulham to see the late John Lyons score our first goal in Div 2 in the match at Fulham and stayed down to see Whittle score a pen to win at Orient on the Sat. Lyons also scored our first Div 2 goal at home as well - a penalty in the pouring rain in a 1-2 defeat to Cardiff.

I liked Vinter though, as said, he got more criticism than he deserved. Always put a shift in despite the criticism he sometimes received. RIP.
Heady days indeed - that home defeat to Cardiff was shown on TV highlights - I remember watching it from the wooden bench seats of the old Mold Road stand - I can't recall a game where it rained heavier and longer - Eddie Nid in goal for us that day.

Going back to John Lyons - I also recall a home match very near to Christmas around that time v West Ham United - just after half time he blasted one of his trade mark penalties into the roof of the net in front of the kop to put us 4 - 1 up - couldn't believe it at the time, us beating WHU by such a scoreline - mind you Bryan 'Pop' Robson scored two late goals to make the last few minutes 'big twitchy bum time' but we held out to win 4 - 3 - great times and good entertaining players.