RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   3 Year expectations? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/109736-3-year-expectations.html)

Todd Sweeney 16th May 2017 08.48:19

Re: 3 Year expectations?

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2027590]I don't want to be negative however we've had bigger gates than most of the teams in this league for nearly 10 years. Let's be honest, it doesn't matter.

It's the rabble on the pitch that matters and the mantle is passed to Keates to assemble his squad.

It's up to Keates, Davies and Darlo to keep the squad fit and motivated.[/QUOTE]

As a fan owned club, which is run in a very lean way with the minimum possible spent on costs, and the maximum possible spent on the 1st team, I think our fan base is probably our biggest asset.

If we can challenge towards the top, I'd expect to see average crowds pushing towards 6,000 (we saw this in the early days of Mills tenure). This would hugely increase our potential budget and allow us to compete on a more level playing field with the clubs who are "sugar daddy" owned.

What I'm saying is that the potential is there for our club to compete with almost any club in this league financially despite us not having external funding.

Alan Attack 16th May 2017 08.58:05

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2027596]As a fan owned club, which is run in a very lean way with the minimum possible spent on costs, and the maximum possible spent on the 1st team, I think our fan base is probably our biggest asset.

If we can challenge towards the top, I'd expect to see average crowds pushing towards 6,000 (we saw this in the early days of Mills tenure). This would hugely increase our potential budget and allow us to compete on a more level playing field with the clubs who are "sugar daddy" owned.

What I'm saying is that the potential is there for our club to compete with almost any club in this league financially despite us not having external funding.[/QUOTE]

Again, I hear what you say but I'm not seeing where this 6k average is coming from.

We're operating on a phenomenal average gate given the last 3 seasons. We have the ability to get 8-9k for a playoff game and maybe double that for a Wembley trip but to average 6k is bloody tough. If we were in contention we'd average that for the last few home games.

t1954 16th May 2017 09.00:12

Each season we should be aiming to win the league. After 9 years in this league, the minimum must be play offs. I don't go with 3 year plan. Each year some say it is a 2 year plan. We will never get out of this league without aiming high. We cannot go on with 2/3 year plans. The plan must be for next season not any other.

DenbighRed 16th May 2017 09.18:16

This coming season has to be about seeing signs of clear improvement. Keates is basically starting from scratch in terms of his playing squad, which as Darlington said in his interview can be viewed as both as a positive and a negative. The good thing is Keates can bring in exactly who he wants, the bad thing is he also has to bond them and build an identity.

This season is a classic 'transitional' season. Hopefully we can build and retain a nucleus that can really give promotion a good go in 2018/19.

3 years from now I'd love to be looking forward to starting the season in the Football League.

Todd Sweeney 16th May 2017 09.28:32

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2027599]Again, I hear what you say but I'm not seeing where this 6k average is coming from.

We're operating on a phenomenal average gate given the last 3 seasons. We have the ability to get 8-9k for a playoff game and maybe double that for a Wembley trip but to average 6k is bloody tough. If we were in contention we'd average that for the last few home games.[/QUOTE]

I can't find the attendances online, but in the first few months of Mills tenure, when we looked like we would be challenging for promotion, we were getting crowds of between 5,500 and 6,700 ish. If we had a winning team then I'd expect to see similar crowds again.

Despite an appalling second half of the season our average attendance over that season was still not far off 5,000. The potential is there.

Alan Attack 16th May 2017 09.29:37

The club isn't set up for a 3 year plan. I don't know why people keep mentioning it.

StattoWrexham 16th May 2017 09.30:57

[QUOTE=t1954;2027600]Each season we should be aiming to win the league. After 9 years in this league, the minimum must be play offs. I don't go with 3 year plan. Each year some say it is a 2 year plan. We will never get out of this league without aiming high. We cannot go on with 2/3 year plans. The plan must be for next season not any other.[/QUOTE]

Ideally after making a bit of a challenge in 15/16 under Mills, you would have expected us to make another challenge in the season just gone!

Instead we went a couple of years backwards and so we've needed another rebuild because those players just weren't good enough. Same thing happened when Wilkin took over, all we expected was to challenge and we had a mid-table flaky effort with another set of new players.

After challenging for 3 seasons running that was the benchmark for us, to do that every season, the title is always a long shot because we've not had stability on the pitch for a few years now.

NottsRed 16th May 2017 09.31:46

[QUOTE=Todd Sweeney;2027607]I can't find the attendances online, but in the first few months of Mills tenure, when we looked like we would be challenging for promotion, we were getting crowds of between 5,500 and 6,700 ish. If we had a winning team then I'd expect to see similar crowds again.

Despite an appalling second half of the season our average attendance over that season was still not far off 5,000. The potential is there.[/QUOTE]

Think your right about the attendances when the football was good at the start under Mills. Lets not argue on this BUT the football quality was excellent at the time and It got people in and it even had people coming in who normally wouldn't. I know two Man U fans who cam to watch the Halifax match.

Give them good football and they will come

crazywelsh 16th May 2017 09.34:31

[QUOTE=Alan Attack;2027608]The club isn't set up for a 3 year plan. I don't know why people keep mentioning it.[/QUOTE]

It's set up for a year by year basis like most are at this level with huge movement of players each season.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 16.48:46.