RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Woking (A) reaction thread (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/111537-woking-reaction-thread.html)

Wiltshire_Red 18th March 2018 08.04:41

Re: Woking (A) reaction thread

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2124902]His interview is just what I want to hear. Spoken like a proper leader. Confident we won’t fall apart with him around.[/QUOTE]

Spot on, good honest perspective of both the game and where we are with regards to play offs/top spot. Well spoken and inspires confidence, a true leader.

redllan 18th March 2018 08.09:40

Was there today .one of our BEST performance's of the season . But yet again CORNERS why can't we defend them .? we must have conceded 12 goals off them . I can't remember the last time a team has scored against us in open play

Congy Red 18th March 2018 10.17:03

Don't think the new management combo got off to a great start, but not terrible. Getting more out of Kelly was good, but was a gamble that didn't pay off. Strangely playing really well wasn't a priority against Woking. They were under pressure to get points, it just needed a patient display with a few chances created for Quigley and Holroyd (i.e Play Wright)

Pearson highlighted the defensive weakness (height) that cost us the points. (i.e Play Wright)

After Chester I would have played Deverdics, he started to look useful last week. This week the management duo made a terrible decision to keep him on. I think a lot of effort was made to get him here (probably by Keates) and the decision to keep him on was weak and unjustified. Taking Kelly off just looked like the standard Keates tactic, no thought needed. Again a terrible decision.

FieldtownRed 18th March 2018 10.32:42

[QUOTE=Congy Red;2124990]Don't think the new management combo got off to a great start, but not terrible. Getting more out of Kelly was good, but was a gamble that didn't pay off. Strangely playing really well wasn't a priority against Woking. They were under pressure to get points, it just needed a patient display with a few chances created for Quigley and Holroyd (i.e Play Wright)

Pearson highlighted the defensive weakness (height) that cost us the points. (i.e Play Wright)

After Chester I would have played Deverdics, he started to look useful last week. This week the management duo made a terrible decision to keep him on. I think a lot of effort was made to get him here (probably by Keates) and the decision to keep him on was weak and unjustified. Taking Kelly off just looked like the standard Keates tactic, no thought needed. Again a terrible decision.[/QUOTE]

Why was getting more out of Kelly a gamble that didn’t pay off when he scored a wonder goal and was most people’s man of the match??

Bigmike 18th March 2018 11.26:36

Re: Woking reaction thread

[QUOTE=eastsussexred;2124784]I thought we were a different team today; much more positive. How many times have we had so many shots on goal this season? and so many on target? Not many, if any; plus we dominated possesion for most of the game and were positive going forward for most of the game too.
Their goalkeeper stopped us having a goalfest today and we were also missing Manny too.
Dunn disappointing again, and despite another draw, we are now looking like a team that wants 3pts rather than 1. Overall, feeling much more positive than I have for much of the season[/QUOTE]

thanks for the report east

Bigmike 18th March 2018 11.29:15

[QUOTE=StattoWrexham;2124906]Spot on!
Feel a lot better about it all after listening to that. Today hasn't been too bad a day when you look at some of the other results.

What I liked about this Pearson interview was he had a kind of relaxed demeanour, more or less we are going to do this, we are going to finish the job. He is the kind of bloke you would want to be led by!

I just hope whoever takes over gets him on another contract with a clause in that he can do whatever he likes around the club in the next 2-3 years, learn his coaching badges, put his feet up when he feels like and basically lets get this lad signed up so we can keep him "in the building". It isn't often we get a player like this here.[/QUOTE]

excellent post

Birdy 18th March 2018 11.46:45

[QUOTE=Congy Red;2124990]Don't think the new management combo got off to a great start, but not terrible. Getting more out of Kelly was good, but was a gamble that didn't pay off. Strangely playing really well wasn't a priority against Woking. They were under pressure to get points, it just needed a patient display with a few chances created for Quigley and Holroyd (i.e Play Wright)

After Chester I would have played Deverdics, he started to look useful last week. This week the management duo made a terrible decision to keep him on. I think a lot of effort was made to get him here (probably by Keates) and the decision to keep him on was weak and unjustified. Taking Kelly off just looked like the standard Keates tactic, no thought needed. Again a terrible decision.[/QUOTE]

You contradict yourself all over the place! Please try again.

[QUOTE=Congy Red;2124990]After Chester I would have played Deverdics[/QUOTE] He did play!

[QUOTE=Congy Red;2124990]Getting more out of Kelly was good, but was a gamble that didn't pay off. Strangely playing really well wasn't a priority against Woking.[/QUOTE] So if Kelly hadn't have scored we would have lost the game.

Prodigal Dragon 18th March 2018 12.02:56

Thought Pearson came across very well in his post match interview. Just the type of leadership qualities you need from our captain. We have a job to do over these next 11 games.

StattoWrexham 18th March 2018 12.13:00

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2125046]Thought Pearson came across very well in his post match interview. Just the type of leadership qualities you need from our captain. We have a job to do over these next 11 games.[/QUOTE]

Thought Andy Davies came across very well too, there is no panic around the club that is for sure!

Sometimes when the manager goes there is a bit of panic and unrest as natural but this time I feel it's calm and just ready to complete the job. (Hope I am not going to regret posting this) as football doesn't ever go as smooth as we would like.

rhyger 18th March 2018 12.14:49

Andy Davies didn't answer the question though about taking over till the end of the season

StattoWrexham 18th March 2018 13.00:48

[QUOTE=rhyger;2125054]Andy Davies didn't answer the question though about taking over till the end of the season[/QUOTE]

I don't expect him to as that might be discussed today, no one knows yet.

fifaking 18th March 2018 13.47:33

Thought at times we played really well yesterday, possibly the best I've seen us play from 1-0 down until we went 2-1 up.

By far the best I've seen Kelly play. Very threatening going forward. Couple of great shots from distance that required good saves, and constantly switching play along with Wedgbury.
While not having many shooting opportunities, Quigley with his back to goal played well. Held the ball up well with good lay offs, or winning throw ins and corners.
So it was bizarre we took off both Quigley and Kelly towards the end, our two big threats going forward.

Thought Boden's chance was more difficult than has been made on here.. it's come at an awkward height and on his left foot. Personally, the more guilt edged miss was Holroyd (put through one on one after another lovely touch and through ball from Quigley) who couldn't beat the keeper one-on-one at 2-1.

Dunn looked to have gone wandering for the second corner Woking scored from and a looping header back over him.

shinton fox 18th March 2018 13.54:13

We all see the game differently but I thought we played very well at times yesterday in difficult conditions . It is probably the coldest I have been at a football match for a good 29 years . The wind was biting cold and all the players deserve praise for putting on an entertaining game .

I am a big fan of Pearson who has been immense for us . However ,my view he was at fault for their first goal as opposed to Dunn . Pearson got involved in a silly piece of shirt grabbing with their centre half , began arguing with him , then the ref , lost focus , lost his man and the centre half scored .

We were definitely more direct but I expect that was because the conditions were difficult and it would have been foolish to try to play too much football from the back .

Rutherford played very well and is just the player you need in such poor conditions .Kelly was also very good . I can’t think of anyone who played poorly . I felt the decision to take Quigley off was correct as he wasn’t working as hard as most of his teammates .

Losing two goals from corners is disappointing but I don’t think Dunn was at fault for either as both their players had free headers .

Tom wafc 18th March 2018 14.39:02

[URL="http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-2849875/videos/125051"]http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-2849875/videos/125051[/URL]
Don't know what Dunn was doing for the 2nd goal.

Rob Edwards 18th March 2018 14.45:24

Re: Woking reaction thread

[QUOTE=smiffysarmy;2124802]Should have brought Ainge on as soon as they equalised[/QUOTE]

Agree fully with this.A bit strange to bring on Boden on rather than Ainge when needing a goal.
Also given the 85 minute subs yesterday makes you think that not solely Keates decision when he did.

OneLoveWrexham 18th March 2018 14.49:28

Dunn is shite simples, seen on twitter he was someone’s player of the season and he was a ‘scapegoat’ cost us so many points this season

WREX777 18th March 2018 14.51:02

what a miss from Boden for god's sake the guys a donkey infront of goal TAKE A DAMN TOUCH

EnglishRed 18th March 2018 15.09:34

[QUOTE=WREX777;2125099]what a miss from Boden for god's sake the guys a donkey infront of goal TAKE A DAMN TOUCH[/QUOTE]

And he would have been closed down and people would have been saying JUST HIT IT FIRST TIME.

On another day looks like we'd have won that comfortably.

The defending for their goals was dreadful.

FieldtownRed 18th March 2018 15.10:45

[QUOTE=Tom wafc;2125096][url=http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-2849875/videos/125051]Woking 2 - 2 Wrexham - The Vanarama National League[/url]
Don't know what Dunn was doing for the 2nd goal.[/QUOTE]

Surprised they didn’t include the blatant pen.

sparky 18th March 2018 15.29:10

[QUOTE=OneLoveWrexham;2125098]Dunn is shite simples, seen on twitter he was someone’s player of the season and he was a ‘scapegoat’ cost us so many points this season[/QUOTE]

I imagine the same folk rated Coughlin. I'm sorry, but he is a fecking liability. I can't believe we didn't go in for Coddington when he became available.

Bigmike 18th March 2018 15.30:16

thanks for the highlights tom. I read some criticism of Holroyd re his one on one. I thought he had very little time and their keeper was on him very quickly and saved well.

Hampshire Red 18th March 2018 15.36:21

[QUOTE=shinton fox;2125089]We all see the game differently but I thought we played very well at times yesterday in difficult conditions . It is probably the coldest I have been at a football match for a good 29 years . The wind was biting cold and all the players deserve praise for putting on an entertaining game .

I am a big fan of Pearson who has been immense for us . However ,my view he was at fault for their first goal as opposed to Dunn . [B]Pearson got involved in a silly piece of shirt grabbing with their centre half , began arguing with him , then the ref , lost focus , lost his man and the centre half scored [/B].

We were definitely more direct but I expect that was because the conditions were difficult and it would have been foolish to try to play too much football from the back .

Rutherford played very well and is just the player you need in such poor conditions .Kelly was also very good . I can’t think of anyone who played poorly . I felt the decision to take Quigley off was correct as he wasn’t working as hard as most of his teammates .

Losing two goals from corners is disappointing but I don’t think Dunn was at fault for either as both their players had free headers .[/QUOTE]

Afraid Shaun was responsible for their first goal and seemed to lose concentration following his arguments before the kick. He seemed less dominant than usual, perhaps because he was conscious that there was more pressure on him to clear the ball in the air in the absence of Manny.

I agree with the comments about Kelly and Ruthers who both I thought had a good game. I was pleased with our attacking intent for most of the game and the first 20 mins of the second half were as good as I've seen from us in the last couple of seasons. When we subbed first Quigley then Kelly I thought we lost impetus. I couldn't understand bringing on Boden before Ainge as I thought the conditions were better suited to the new man. I'm beginning to wonder why SA was brought in as he has now been brought on 3 times with less than 10 minutes to play (twice when we have been drawing).

My Woking supporting friend e-mailed me this morning and said his team hadn't played that well for months. ive told him they need to do the same again and better against Macc, Dover and Bromley (all at home).

I think if we play as positively as we did yesterday and are tighter at the back we should make the play offs. Getting through to the final will be difficult. Turning to next week it will be interesting to see who plays at left back. I thought Carra did little wrong yesterday and didn't play like someone who until last weekend had benn out for a couple of months. Raven also put in a decent shift. JJ may find it hard to get his place back.

Funny_Old_Game 18th March 2018 16.45:37

[QUOTE=Tom wafc;2125096][url=http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-2849875/videos/125051]Woking 2 - 2 Wrexham - The Vanarama National League[/url]
Don't know what Dunn was doing for the 2nd goal.[/QUOTE]

Dunn is a complete joke for both goals of course, due to his pathetic inability to leave his line, jump and claim things. He jumps about half an inch off the ground every time.

Also notice the pathetic lack of effort from Deverdics to clear the loose ball after it comes off the post, just letting their player get to it when he should have had no right and which leads to another corner which they score from. Boden is a bottle job as we know, he didn’t want the ball to come anywhere near him then and just wasted it.

Most of those long range shots and our 2 fluke goals were clearly affected by the wind. The Kelly goal flies in with the wind assistance.

totesey2 18th March 2018 17.53:48

Dunn can't cope with corners and crosses, How many times have we said this?

TaidTom 18th March 2018 18.12:18

[QUOTE=totesey2;2125170]Dunn can't cope with corners and crosses, How many times have we said this?[/QUOTE]

Whereas Dibble showed he could. Very strange he's not being given another chance, especially as he was in fine form prior to his injury.

LlayDragon 18th March 2018 18.23:19

[QUOTE=TaidTom;2125176]Whereas Dibble showed he could. Very strange he's not being given another chance, especially as he was in fine form prior to his injury.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make sense. Given a run he showed up better than Dunn; saving a couple of penalties along the way.

Dunn's been in worst form and kept his place though.

Wrexham's Patrick Bateman 18th March 2018 18.24:07

He looks like a frightened rabbit at set pieces..,.Just hoping the ball gets cleared by the defence .I know the penalty area is like a January Sale at corners....But a keeper that can cope with it, would be like a twenty goal striker..

Redordead 18th March 2018 18.38:35

[QUOTE=Wrexham's Patrick Bateman;2125183]He looks like a frightened rabbit at set pieces..,.Just hoping the ball gets cleared by the defence .I know the penalty area is like a January Sale at corners....But a keeper that can cope with it, would be like a twenty goal striker..[/QUOTE]

Let’s go back to the days when we had everyone back for corners.

Dstanley 18th March 2018 18.49:51

Looking at the bbc teams for the woking game, I was surprised to see Deverdics in the right back position. As a Poolie, along with most other fans, I was dismayed at the playing of him at left back. With subs in the last few minutes, it appears that your management team are as hopeless as the Harrison setup that got Pools into the mess that they are in now.

benwilliams 18th March 2018 18.53:17

Dunn definitely at fault for 2nd but 1st inconclusive. Poor defending either way. Boden's chance came at him so quickly it's a bit harsh to call it a bad miss.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Royal welsh red 18th March 2018 18.58:41

[QUOTE=Dstanley;2125197]Looking at the bbc teams for the woking game, I was surprised to see Deverdics in the right back position. As a Poolie, along with most other fans, I was dismayed at the playing of him at left back. With subs in the last few minutes, it appears that your management team are as hopeless as the Harrison setup that got Pools into the mess that they are in now.[/QUOTE]

He played left mid mate.

Bryn Tirion 18th March 2018 19.36:28

Both our goals looked like flukes to me. I reckon they were crosses that managed to find their way in.

I don’t blame Dunne for the first goal but definitely at fault for the second. Boden’s chance wasn’t as straightforward as some made out but it still wasn’t a great effort. Also I’m sure Dunne saved that shot in the second half with his face!

dimps1 18th March 2018 21.34:54

Enjoyed the game , freezing cold .
Thought the ground was one of the poorer ones I've visited .
Catering was shocking .
Huge choice of burger , cheese burger or chips . £4 for a burger .£4.50 with cheese.

Thought there keeper had a great game ,if it wasn't for him we could have walked it . Onwards we go

NottsRed 19th March 2018 07.56:33

[QUOTE=Bryn Tirion;2125217]Both our goals looked like flukes to me. I reckon they were crosses that managed to find their way in.

I don’t blame Dunne for the first goal but definitely at fault for the second. Boden’s chance wasn’t as straightforward as some made out but it still wasn’t a great effort. Also I’m sure Dunne saved that shot in the second half with his face![/QUOTE]

Agree about our goals.

That Boden chance though wasn't an easy one. It came at him really quickly.

Id look at giving Dibble a try in goal. Dunn is making too many errors which are costing us points which we can ill afford to loose at the moment.

John Neals Dynasty 19th March 2018 09.31:30

[QUOTE=NottsRed;2125279]Agree about our goals.

That Boden chance though wasn't an easy one. It came at him really quickly.

Id look at giving Dibble a try in goal. Dunn is making too many errors which are costing us points which we can ill afford to loose at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Disagree about Dibble, I'm no fan of Dunn but fans are quick to blame him when he makes a mistake saying he has cost us points, but conveniently forgot the many top class saves he has made which have stopped us from losing 1) eg: his save at at home against Tranmere, their is more but we are a non league club we aren't going to get a top goalkeeper down here, as for Dibble he did ok but now is not the time to disrupt the side with 8 games to go.

Wrexham's Patrick Bateman 19th March 2018 09.46:11

[QUOTE=Redordead;2125189]Let’s go back to the days when we had everyone back for corners.[/QUOTE]

Or, leavel our three shortest, quickest players along the halfway line....Opposition has to keep three players back . less crowded penalty area. Our keeper plucks the ball out of the air..runs to the edge of the area, and launches it forward...

Simples...

LlayDragon 19th March 2018 09.50:37

[QUOTE=John Neals Dynasty;2125316]Disagree about Dibble, I'm no fan of Dunn but fans are quick to blame him when he makes a mistake saying he has cost us points, but conveniently forgot the many top class saves he has made which have stopped us from losing 1) eg: his save at at home against Tranmere, their is more but we are a non league club we aren't going to get a top goalkeeper down here, as for Dibble he did ok but now is not the time to disrupt the side with 8 games to go.
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

Personally I'd say Dibble did a little better than OK. His run in the side coincided with decent form and contributed to our goals against column. He also saved a couple of penalties and proved that when you go up for the ball whilst competing with an attacker you really can come down with it in your hands.

I've never quite understood the argument of keepers who are decent shot stoppers should be excused other major parts of their games. Dunn is weak in the air, especially when he's having to compete for the ball. He's also often glued to his line when his defence could really do with someone to come out and claim the ball cleanly; to take the pressure off them for a change.

jackwilliams 19th March 2018 10.11:45

Another aspect of Dunn's game which is weak is his kicking. He finds it hard to clear the half way line and it invariably is straight on one of their midfield or centre back foreheads. All keepers at this level have weaknesses I guess. He does make some very good saves and so he should with his height and the fact that he has done some coaching.

Ooh aah Paskin 19th March 2018 10.55:34

Yes, there are very few perfect keepers.
I used to know a lad who was 6'7". He could deal with crosses all day. He was good with one on ones due to his size, and very good at making saves above waist height and in the corners.

However, he wasn't as good at low shots.

Dunn is far from perfect and normally I would prefer Dibble over him but at this stage I think unless he makes another couple of howlers in the next game we need consistency. Hopefully get Manny back in the centre next game and that will help.

John Neals Dynasty 19th March 2018 11.20:23

[QUOTE=LlayDragon;2125321]Personally I'd say Dibble did a little better than OK. His run in the side coincided with decent form and contributed to our goals against column. He also saved a couple of penalties and proved that when you go up for the ball whilst competing with an attacker you really can come down with it in your hands.

I've never quite understood the argument of keepers who are decent shot stoppers should be excused other major parts of their games. Dunn is weak in the air, especially when he's having to compete for the ball. He's also often glued to his line when his defence could really do with someone to come out and claim the ball cleanly; to take the pressure off them for a change.[/QUOTE]
You're missing my point LD when was the last time Dibble actually played? Against Harrogate was it not, Coddington when only loan was better than both of them, I don't disagree with your assessment of Dunn at all I just think disruption to the back, 8 games left is a gamble the coaches see Dibble in training but decided a loan of Coddington was preferable to Dibble when Dunn was injured. I just think we need experience in goal now the pressure is on.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.55:48.