RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115520-favourite-positive-moment-wrexham-fan.html)

Johno 19th March 2020 15.48:18

Re: Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2349440]There is enough doom and gloom due to CV-19; and enough OTT slagging off of the Board. So, on a more upbeat note, which game or incident 'rocks your boat' as a Wrexham fan.

Mine was our 3-2 victory over Spurs in the League Cup back in 1976. Wagged school to go to London by train, and saw our best footballing display ever. Happy days, indeed!

Wrexham: Lloyd, Mason, Fogg, Davis, May, Evans, Tinnion, Sutton, Ashcroft, Kinsey, Thomas[/QUOTE]

I was there but whilst I haven’t checked the team I have a very vivid memory of Bobby Shinton playing and keeping the ball by the corner flag to waste time. Spurs were reduced to fouling him to get the ball.

cynprifathro 19th March 2020 16.10:58

Albert Kinsey did not play v Tottenham in 1976. He left Wrexham in 1972!

spuderz123 19th March 2020 16.11:02

LDV final, FA Trophy final, plenty of league games already mentioned.

One for the Conference for me is pumping Chester 3-0. Good limbs when Jennings scored that penalty.

Best for me though is the first trip to Portugal. Proper scummy trip that

griff49 19th March 2020 16.46:30

Has to be wrexham 10 hartlepool 1 in 1962.
Travelled 5 miles as a 12 year old on my own
As my mates ( yes I had some then !) Didnt turn up.
Used my daily school bus pass and paid one shilling
Entry -thats 5P !
WYN DAVIES hatrick in first 20 minutes and then
two more hatricks. Oh I forgot it snowed most of the
Game and they remarked the lines at half time.
Stood on the cop happy days. That was a great season.

Huffy 19th March 2020 16.52:04

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349508]Its hardly the end of the world, what a drama queen.

I'm smiling though. At all the ones who took my initial post so seriously and got all arsey and defensive over it.
I guess the truth really does hurt, even if its not meant for the precious petals to take offence.[/QUOTE]

Phil ,to be honest mate ,you have written endless pages on the same thing.
I know whats up with the club but find it sad you have to infect every thread with another reminder .
I am a bit of an expert in sarcasm ,but I have nothing on some folk .
Do well

The Method Maws 19th March 2020 17.14:44

Pretty much the same ones people have mentioned. The fa cup games. Arsenal, Ipswich, Man Utd, Stoke

Does anyone remember this classic relegation 6 pointer? We were both bottom 2 with one team going down

Great game.

Never knew Andy Marriott played for them that day

[URL="https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417"]https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417[/URL]

dixienormous 19th March 2020 17.17:24

[QUOTE=The Method Maws;2349522]Pretty much the same ones people have mentioned. The fa cup games. Arsenal, Ipswich, Man Utd, Stoke

Does anyone remember this classic relegation 6 pointer?

Great game.

[URL="https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417"]https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417[/URL][/QUOTE]

I do, I was six then! Is that a certain Ray Wilkins playing for Colchester?

The Method Maws 19th March 2020 17.26:17

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2349523]I do, I was six then! Is that a certain Ray Wilkins playing for Colchester?[/QUOTE]

It was a classic! A forgotten one.

Wasn’t ray wilkins. Have a look at the program notes :) classic stuff.

kopitered 19th March 2020 18.24:12

For me definitely spurs away 76.best ever footballing display I have seen from a wrexham team.

Wrecsam91 19th March 2020 18.29:16

saturday january 4th 1992 the greatest day of my life beating arsenal

davewilli 19th March 2020 18.55:18

[QUOTE=kopitered;2349528]For me definitely spurs away 76.best ever footballing display I have seen from a wrexham team.[/QUOTE]

To be fair Keith Burkinshaw did say in the press he would swap his 11 for the Wxm team.

Pistol Pete 19th March 2020 19.04:48

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2349456]King Connolly slotting in the third at St Andrews[/QUOTE]

This.

Redpensioner 19th March 2020 19.30:42

If it was memorable moments it would have to be for me, the 77/78 season, in a matter of two months on the 5th of January we played Liverpool at home in front of 25.500 and lost 1-3 with the great Kenny Daglish playing for the scousers in the League cup.

Then on the 6th March, we played Arsenal at home again in front of 25.500 and got robbed with a 2-3 loss in the FA Cup.

Where did it all go wrong.

Inside Left 19th March 2020 19.39:01

[QUOTE=Redpensioner;2349532]If it was memorable moments it would have to be for me, the 77/78 season, in a matter of two months on the 5th of January we played Liverpool at home in front of 25.500 and lost 1-3 with the great Kenny Daglish playing for the scousers in the League cup.

Then on the 6th March, we played Arsenal at home again in front of 25.500 and got robbed with a 2-3 loss in the FA Cup.

Where did it all go wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yes Red I remember those 2 matches Robbed v Arsenal but Liverpool were a bit better. - Team on both occasions never outclassed and fantastic crowd.
We all have views as to what went wrong and when.

davewilli 19th March 2020 19.45:34

[QUOTE=Inside Left;2349533]Yes Red I remember those 2 matches Robbed v Arsenal but Liverpool were a bit better. - Team on both occasions never outclassed and fantastic crowd.
We all have views as to what went wrong and when.[/QUOTE]

Lots of things have gone wrong over those decades, as well as getting alot of things right but we were punching well above our size through the 70s and significantly assisted by qualification into Europe via the Welsh Cup.

Willywill 19th March 2020 19.58:38

For me it was going to Anderlecht, with my late dad on a Majestic Travel trip. It was March 1975 and a flight from Manchester. Wandering around Brussels tasting this new tangled Stella Artois - did it catch on?
The city centre was full of dream cars, but all overshadowed when a Tecwyn Price coach flew round a corner with Eric Woodfine shouting at us. The Stadium was full and the locals plied us with Brandy. Considering the form book suggested a 4-0 home win, we did amazing to keep them down to one nil. Mickey Evans did ever so well against local hero Rob Rensenbrinck. As a 14 year old lad, I couldn’t imagine life getting better than this. A magic day out.

billybersham 19th March 2020 20.06:16

[QUOTE=Willywill;2349535]For me it was going to Anderlecht, with my late dad on a Majestic Travel trip. It was March 1975 and a flight from Manchester. Wandering around Brussels tasting this new tangled Stella Artois - did it catch on?
The city centre was full of dream cars, but all overshadowed when a Tecwyn Price coach flew round a corner with Eric Woodfine shouting at us. The Stadium was full and the locals plied us with Brandy. Considering the form book suggested a 4-0 home win, we did amazing to keep them down to one nil. Mickey Evans did ever so well against local hero Rob Rensenbrinck. As a 14 year old lad, I couldn’t imagine life getting better than this. A magic day out.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic times Willy.I was a few years to young for that game,could you tell me what kind of following did Wrexham take to Belguim.

harrypothead 19th March 2020 20.08:19

Last ever Welsh Cup final in the Arms Park against Cardiff. Both won the cup the same amount of times and our last ever year in it Beating them in Cardiff was amazing. Carrington goal at Stoke was amazing, Keiran Durkin putting us one nil up at United. Beating Middlesbrough with all their starts. Beating west ham away.

Thinking about it, does anyone really believe them good times will ever come back in our lifetime?

Red Light 19th March 2020 20.12:36

[QUOTE=The Method Maws;2349522]Pretty much the same ones people have mentioned. The fa cup games. Arsenal, Ipswich, Man Utd, Stoke

Does anyone remember this classic relegation 6 pointer? We were both bottom 2 with one team going down

Great game.

[URL="https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417"]https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417[/URL][/QUOTE]

Vivid memories of that match as we were losing 1 - 2.
During the game we had every type of weather imaginable.
I was on the Kop and it was if an electric switch was flicked - the weather blew up, wind was howling and we were kicking towards the kop - as though the Gods were willing us to win and so we did with 2 goals.
It was a massive game at the time as we were running neck and neck for bottom spot and relegation - think ex Ipswich Town and England full back Mick Mills was the manager of Colchester United at the time.

Also whilst talking about Colchester - the season we gained promotion mid week by winning 0 - 2 at Northampton - the following Saturday we played our final league game at home to Colchester - nearly 10,000 there to see us win in an enthralling match 4 - 3 with a late Steve Watkin winner in the kop end.
Colour, scarves, ticker tape - game played in an electric atmosphere and on the pitch at the final whistle in our thousands.

We truly did have some magical times under the reign of Brian Flynn.

shinner 19th March 2020 20.16:29

I have 3 , the 7 - 1 promotion victory against Rotherham , the win away at Northampton
again to clinch promotion , and the fantastic 3- 1 fa cup win at Birmingham 😊

BennoKarlShintz 19th March 2020 20.18:42

I'll throw in beating Cloughie's Forest 3-1 in the FA Cup; Durkin scoring to put us one up at United (again in the FA Cup); Beating Chesterfield 6-0 in the best all-round display I've seen (Ashcroft scored 4) - all these away from home!

Top three in reverse order -
Cheesy's equaliser against Brighton at their place
King Karl sealing the 3-1 Cup win at Birmingham

and the winner, Noddy's equaliser v Arsenal, absolute bedlam

Leighton Red 19th March 2020 20.52:44

Oh so many cup wins...Arsenal has to forever be my number one with my dad and grandad either side of me as a 9 year old sat in the Yale...I’ll take it to my grave! Brum away was super special, as was West Ham away. Middlesbrough at home and West Ham at home in the snow!! Got to add Wembley and Cardiff victories in cup finals..a few Wembley lows offset it though. Brentford away was magic. Going 1-0 up at Old Trafford...

Luton away when we lost but the chant of ‘We’re proud of you!’ just made the hairs stand up and was more emotional than most games I’ve ever witnessed. It was a true ‘I’m Wrexham til I die’ moment due to the camaraderie on display and the true love and dedication for a team.

The day I was a ball boy at Cae Ras having not expected it when I arrived at the ground for a league game vs Rotherham when we had a wooden stand on the Mold Road...the roar when we scored was immense at pitch level, again hairs on end. Getting the ball from behind the cladding just seemed strange as the old stand was still there and it felt so spooky to see such a wonderful piece of our history empty when the game was going on.

The day we almost disappeared from existence and kids with piggy banks and deeds to properties turned up to aid the cause. Only Wrexham fans would manage what we did that day...proven by Bury recently (very sadly I add!).

Thanks for setting up this thread...needed to be reminded of the good times!!

The Method Maws 19th March 2020 21.03:35

[QUOTE=Red Light;2349538]Vivid memories of that match as we were losing 1 - 2.
During the game we had every type of weather imaginable.
I was on the Kop and it was if an electric switch was flicked - the weather blew up, wind was howling and we were kicking towards the kop - as though the Gods were willing us to win and so we did with 2 goals.
It was a massive game at the time as we were running neck and neck for bottom spot and relegation - think ex Ipswich Town and England full back Mick Mills was the manager of Colchester United at the time.

Also whilst talking about Colchester - the season we gained promotion mid week by winning 0 - 2 at Northampton - the following Saturday we played our final league game at home to Colchester - nearly 10,000 there to see us win in an enthralling match 4 - 3 with a late Steve Watkin winner in the kop end.
Colour, scarves, ticker tape - game played in an electric atmosphere and on the pitch at the final whistle in our thousands.

We truly did have some magical times under the reign of Brian Flynn.[/QUOTE]

Great post mate! A forgotten classic.

Very big gate at the time 4600.

It was the lull after the Dixie Leyton Orient play off defeat when we were getting 2000 tops. Bad times.

The start of the Flynn rebuild.

Every generation has their special moments.

I never saw the classic 70/80s teams people rave about. Old Div 2, European nights and Jim Steel 😀

But I saw the Leyton Orient play off game. Saw the fa cup antics and a promotion to old div 3 and Ian rush debut. And Lyngby, our Porto 😬

The next generation just know the fallout from the Hamilton, M0ss era.

Still some good memories tho.

Staying up v Boston
Getting Wrexham conference tour t shirts 13 years ago. Won 5-1.
Fa trophy. Both games memorable 😬
98 point season team
That vose goal.
Stoke
Salford

We will be back

Prodigal Dragon 19th March 2020 21.32:35

[QUOTE=cynprifathro;2349515]Albert Kinsey did not play v Tottenham in 1976. He left Wrexham in 1972![/QUOTE]

My mistake. Made the schoolboy error of ‘copying and pasting’ duff gen off the web without checking all the details. I’ll use Pete Jones’s definitive book and update the team tomorrow.

With a few, notable exceptions, our collective memory of our great club may be fading with age, but the passion is still there and will, I am sure, rekindle when this horrible trial is over.

Keep posting, guys and gals. Really enjoying the memories.

Wiltshire_Red 19th March 2020 22.58:13

[QUOTE=Redpensioner;2349532]If it was memorable moments it would have to be for me, the 77/78 season, in a matter of two months on the 5th of January we played Liverpool at home in front of 25.500 and lost 1-3 with the great Kenny Daglish playing for the scousers in the League cup.

Where did it all go wrong.[/QUOTE]

Great game against Liverpool, Dalglish hat trick on a typical 70s pitch [url]https://youtu.be/1hVNSsAzO1w[/url]

Bigmike 19th March 2020 23.11:05

Cup win at Southampton great goal by Smallman. A poster asked about film of him playing. As lots of fans will know he went to Everton for a lot of money. I remember seeing him on TV in "match of the day" (or its equivalent) scoring a great goal for the blues. It went right in the top corner and Bob Latchford nearly crushed him in the celebration. Sadly injury ended his career prematurely. Other great memories Trophy win what wonderful support that day. Arsenal win of course. I missed the game because I was away on holiday. I can still remember buying a paper on the ferry coming home. I could not believe it when I saw the result. Young's volley to score this season. Joe Allen's screamer when he was on loan with us. BTW thanks for this thread among all the doom and gloom it is a refreshing change.

Wiltshire_Red 19th March 2020 23.12:36

Remembering Ian Edwards fantastic strike at Derby in 1980/81 season

[url]https://youtu.be/Fj3-KLm11Ec[/url]

Those were the days when Match of the Day also showed games outside the top division.

whead 19th March 2020 23.25:08

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2349456]King Connolly slotting in the third at St Andrews[/QUOTE]

This, I grew up in the West Midlands and my complete helmet of a games/PE teacher was a Blues fan giving me grief all week in the build-up; filling the railway end, playing so well, Steve Watkin nailing Steve Bruce with a crunching tackle, those two headed goals...

I couldn't believe how well we played, I practically floated home thinking we could beat anybody...

Then 'accidentally' forgetting my PE kit and strolling out of the changing room in my Wrexham shirt, scarf and hat two days later with all the Wolves, WBA and Villa fans pishing themselves laughing :D At least my teacher admitted we deserved the win, although he mostly blamed Devlin for being sent off :)

Wiltshire_Red 19th March 2020 23.27:19

[QUOTE=Bigmike;2349550]Cup win at Southampton great goal by Smallman. A poster asked about film of him playing. As lots of fans will know he went to Everton for a lot of money. I remember seeing him on TV in "match of the day" (or its equivalent) scoring a great goal for the blues. It went right in the top corner and Bob Latchford nearly crushed him in the celebration. Sadly injury ended his career prematurely. Other great memories Trophy win what wonderful support that day. Arsenal win of course. I missed the game because I was away on holiday. I can still remember buying a paper on the ferry coming home. I could not believe it when I saw the result. Young's volley to score this season. Joe Allen's screamer when he was on loan with us. BTW thanks for this thread among all the doom and gloom it is a refreshing change.[/QUOTE]

You have a good memory, Dave Smallman’s first goal for Everton against Sheffield United [url]https://youtu.be/FHV-PfV9F_U[/url] on The Big Match. A natural striker who was blighted by injuries.

Huffy 19th March 2020 23.35:07

Great stuff people :coolgleamA:

moynkeepthefaith 20th March 2020 05.34:07

Wrexham 3 Oldham 1 August 21st 1971. My aunt was going to the catholic cathedral from Holywell and I was commissioned to accompany her in the Morris minor. I suggested that I go to the match while she went to her cathedral. It was love at first sight.
Home to Rotherham in 78 and my dad saying after the game ‘you missed a few chances’
Birmingham away was very special but Boston home was the most emotional as it was also my best mates 50th.

Prodigal Dragon 20th March 2020 07.24:49

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2349545]My mistake. Made the schoolboy error of ‘copying and pasting’ duff gen off the web without checking all the details. I’ll use Pete Jones’s definitive book and update the team tomorrow.

With a few, notable exceptions, our collective memory of our great club may be fading with age, but the passion is still there and will, I am sure, rekindle when this horrible trial is over.

Keep posting, guys and gals. Really enjoying the memories.[/QUOTE]

———————————-Lloyd

Evans————-Davis————-Roberts————-Dwyer

Shinton———-Sutton————Thomas————-Griffiths

——————-Ashcroft————-Whittle

Thomas 2
Ashcroft

19,156 with 1,500 Reds!

‘WREXHAM A Complete Record 1872-1992’ by Pete Jones

Phils-an-alki 20th March 2020 08.10:27

I feel slightly more mature today so here goes with a couple..

Hartlepool 4 - 6 Wrexham - A game I'll never forget. So glad I was there to witness that madness. What a game of football that was.

This game: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4259917.stm]BBC SPORT | Football | Oldham 3-5 Wrexham[/url]
Mark Jones was unplayable that night. Another classic but typical Wrexham we gave them a lifeline.

Then there was the LDV final itself. Probably the last great day out watching Wrexham. The FAT trophy just wasn't the same for me.

Nothing from non league. Its all been shit.

Vorporix 20th March 2020 08.17:33

Too many great memories to go along with the the all too many bad memories!

wafc1926 20th March 2020 08.18:09

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2349560]———————————-Lloyd

Evans————-Davis————-Roberts————-Dwyer

Shinton———-Sutton————Thomas————-Griffiths

——————-Ashcroft————-Whittle

Thomas 2
Ashcroft

19,156 with 1,500 Reds!

‘WREXHAM A Complete Record 1872-1992’ by Pete Jones[/QUOTE]
Fabulous team and fabulous night!

davewilli 20th March 2020 08.59:32

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2349553]You have a good memory, Dave Smallman’s first goal for Everton against Sheffield United [url]https://youtu.be/FHV-PfV9F_U[/url] on The Big Match. A natural striker who was blighted by injuries.[/QUOTE]

Another hero playing that day, 'Dai the Drop'

techender 20th March 2020 09.23:15

Probably not my most favourite Wrexham memory, but never the less a great night out.

LDV vans semi final first leg vs Oldham where we won 5-3. The atmosphere in the away end that night was fantastic.

I remember we went 5-1 up at one stage after Ugarte scored a hat trick, but then we gave them that lifeline by conceding two late goals, including a controversial penalty. I remember also Foster made a super save right at the end to avoid a 5-4 score line.

First time I really believed we could get to the final that year.
Prior to that I was thinking Wrexham would cock it up as they usually did.

percy vere 20th March 2020 09.44:51

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349562]I feel slightly more mature today so here goes with a couple..

Hartlepool 4 - 6 Wrexham - A game I'll never forget. So glad I was there to witness that madness. What a game of football that was.

This game: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4259917.stm]BBC SPORT | Football | Oldham 3-5 Wrexham[/url]
Mark Jones was unplayable that night. Another classic but typical Wrexham we gave them a lifeline.

Then there was the LDV final itself. Probably the last great day out watching Wrexham. The FAT trophy just wasn't the same for me.

Nothing from non league. Its all been shit.[/QUOTE]

I think there was 126 of us at Hartlepool and I unintentionally kept my ticket. A few years later ugarte was a guest of the club on a match day so I thought I’d get him to sign it. When I couldn’t find it I asked the missus if she’d seen it and she said “ oh I threw it away “

Phils-an-alki 20th March 2020 09.57:44

[QUOTE=percy vere;2349574]I think there was 126 of us at Hartlepool and I unintentionally kept my ticket. A few years later ugarte was a guest of the club on a match day so I thought I’d get him to sign it. When I couldn’t find it I asked the missus if she’d seen it and she said “ oh I threw it away “[/QUOTE]

Yes there wasn't a huge following that day, I seem to remember not expecting anything from the game, especially when they took the lead.

She's now an ex missus, right? :)

Red Light 20th March 2020 10.57:09

For moments of ecstasy you can't beat a last minute winner.

Beating Ipswich Town when they were in the top flight in the FA Cup - they had equalised quite near the end to make the tie 1 - 1.
Then in the dying embers of the game we got a penalty at the kop end.
You just knew Gary Bennett would create something magical - he dispatched the penalty and we won 2 - 1 to send us to Old Trafford in the next round.
The week after we beat Ipswich in the cup they went to Anfield and beat Liverpool 0 - 1 in the league so logically, we were better than Liverpool at the time.

Similarly - being 2 - 0 down in the league at Walsall and second half kicking towards our fans making a massive comeback and getting the winner in the last minute or so through Craig Faulconbridge to make it 2 - 3 - the Walsall balti pies were special too.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.53:46.