RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115520-favourite-positive-moment-wrexham-fan.html)

moynkeepthefaith 20th March 2020 11.30:43

Re: Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan

[QUOTE=Red Light;2349579]For moments of ecstasy you can't beat a last minute winner.

Beating Ipswich Town when they were in the top flight in the FA Cup - they had equalised quite near the end to make the tie 1 - 1.
Then in the dying embers of the game we got a penalty at the kop end.
You just knew Gary Bennett would create something magical - he dispatched the penalty and we won 2 - 1 to send us to Old Trafford in the next round.
The week after we beat Ipswich in the cup they went to Anfield and beat Liverpool 0 - 1 in the league so logically, we were better than Liverpool at the time.

Similarly - being 2 - 0 down in the league at Walsall and second half kicking towards our fans making a massive comeback and getting the winner in the last minute or so through Craig Faulconbridge to make it 2 - 3 - the Walsall balti pies were special too.[/QUOTE]

As comebacks go the 4-3 at Luton was incredible in 2000 I had wanted to go to the game but my daughter hosted a Halloween party for her school friends so i was grounded. Lets just say I was Jeckyll and Hyde that day !

dagg 20th March 2020 11.36:48

For me it has to be Hartlepool 10-1 the snow coming down, thought the game was going to be abandoned.

Huffy 20th March 2020 11.37:17

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349562]I feel slightly more mature today so here goes with a couple..

Hartlepool 4 - 6 Wrexham - A game I'll never forget. So glad I was there to witness that madness. What a game of football that was.

This game: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4259917.stm]BBC SPORT | Football | Oldham 3-5 Wrexham[/url]
Mark Jones was unplayable that night. Another classic but typical Wrexham we gave them a lifeline.

Then there was the LDV final itself. Probably the last great day out watching Wrexham. The FAT trophy just wasn't the same for me.

Nothing from non league. Its all been shit.[/QUOTE]
The Trophy win was a great day out for me (I dont get out much )
Jonnie Hunt in midfield ,and that horrible striker with the slap head firing the ball over the stand!
But the memory that sticks with me is being in that Irish themed pub down at the bottom end of Wembley hill,and thinking after the 3rd or 4th pint that there was another room full of people next door ,and as I went to look in there , realised it was a full wall mirror :freak:

krux 20th March 2020 11.42:29

[QUOTE=Huffy;2349585]The Trophy win was a great day out for me (I dont get out much )
Jonnie Hunt in midfield ,and that horrible striker with the slap head firing the ball over the stand!
But the memory that sticks with me is being in that Irish themed pub down at the bottom end of Wembley hill,and thinking after the 3rd or 4th pint that there was another room full of people next door ,and as I went to look in there , realised it was a full wall mirror :freak:[/QUOTE]

didn't Hunt play LB coz ashton was out?

mattw 20th March 2020 11.53:51

Being the last team to win at The Gay Meadow.

Beautiful

jacthelad 20th March 2020 12.33:13

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349480]When Spencer tweeted 'excitingtimesahead'.

When I got selected for the 'we're going to contact your employer and try to get you sacked' VIP director event.

When the strategy house document was unveiled - I wet my pants with excitement.

When the JCP post anything on facebook. Its award winning, ground breaking stuff.

When I get to games early just to witness the Pep Darlington warm up drills, jaw dropping and genius.

When Rutherford gets the ball at his feet. Its enchanting.

When Akil brilliantly doesn't touch the ball once for large periods of the game. Its pure genius, a new breed of midfield wizardry has been born.

Every Keates post match interview. Each and everyone is a detailed and concise footballing education.

When we signed Massanka. A day I'll never forget. Right up there with the birth of my children, my wedding day etc. What a coup.

The day we got rid of Dom Vose. One day he'll learn its all about running. We showed him.

The traditional and annual Ruthers signs a new contract day. In my house we treat this like Christmas and its become a favourite annual event.[/QUOTE]

Based on the last few years id say this post is one of my favourite moment tbf.

Otherwise trying to think of a moment that brought me pure screaming like a girl joy, beating oldham away in the ldv semi final. Cheesy scoring against brighton aswell was a moment aswell
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Red Light 20th March 2020 12.53:11

[QUOTE=jacthelad;2349590]Based on the last few years id say this post is one of my favourite moment tbf.

Otherwise trying to think of a moment that brought me pure screaming like a girl joy, beating oldham away in the ldv semi final. Cheesy scoring against brighton aswell was a moment aswell
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

That Trophy semi final at Kidderminster always seemed pretty special - winning 1 - 3 away knowing that the prize was a trip to Wembley.
With us leading 2 - 1 from the home leg against a very in form Harriers team it was twitchy bum time which was helped by Brett Ormerod giving us the lead - but they equalized and it wasn't until that late free kick went in during the closing stages that we could relax - but what a win.
Was lucky enough to be one of the 1,600 on the terrace that day - the supporters were really united as one on that occasion - red smoke everywhere and Pat's Coaches as far as the eye could see.

Quay Red 20th March 2020 13.02:57

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2349440]There is enough doom and gloom due to CV-19; and enough OTT slagging off of the Board. So, on a more upbeat note, which game or incident 'rocks your boat' as a Wrexham fan.

Mine was our 3-2 victory over Spurs in the League Cup back in 1976. Wagged school to go to London by train, and saw our best footballing display ever. Happy days, indeed!

Wrexham: Lloyd, Mason, Fogg, Davis, May, Evans, Tinnion, Sutton, Ashcroft, Kinsey, Thomas[/QUOTE]

Good thread starter.
Very difficult to single one moment out so I've listed a few.
Rotherham game for promotion.
Porto away, soaked but warm inside.
Pryce getting me on the Rome trip for £50.
Numerous cup wins, particularly Newcastle and Middlesborough. Palace, Spurs, Southampton away.
I'm fortunate that I can blank out the disappointing times 'cos that might overwhelm me.
Very few National league memories apart from the efforts to collect the bond money and what might have been.
In hindsight if the WST had stuck with Saunders we would probably have been playing league football now and have been better placed as a club both on and off the field. (Whether we could have stood the cost is another matter)

percy vere 20th March 2020 13.14:19

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349575]Yes there wasn't a huge following that day, I seem to remember not expecting anything from the game, especially when they took the lead.

She's now an ex missus, right? :)[/QUOTE]

:evilgrin:

subbuteorob 20th March 2020 13.36:42

Going 1-0 up at Man Utd in the cup and the constant taunting of United with "OOO AAH Where's your Cantona "

LWR 20th March 2020 13.49:53

[QUOTE=mattw;2349589]Being the last team to win at The Gay Meadow.

Beautiful[/QUOTE]

Standing on top of that fence.

Happy days

borntobered 20th March 2020 13.50:38

[QUOTE=The Method Maws;2349522]Pretty much the same ones people have mentioned. The fa cup games. Arsenal, Ipswich, Man Utd, Stoke

Does anyone remember this classic relegation 6 pointer? We were both bottom 2 with one team going down

Great game.

Never knew Andy Marriott played for them that day

[URL="https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417"]https://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?pg=matchesplayed&pd=1025&sort=sscore&order=asc&fply=478&fplyShowAll=true&fsea=all&fdfaShowAll=true&frt=rescomp&it=2417[/URL][/QUOTE]
This was one of my memories. Day before my son was born. Only time I saw my dad flick the v's at the Colchester directors when we went 3-2 up (in response to how they reacted when they took the lead). (we were shit then too 😁). For fan atmosphere though has to be Birmingham away in the FA Cup. Too many good memories

Huffy 20th March 2020 13.55:00

Wolves in The Fa Cup ,when Stevie Fox put us one up :coolgleamA:

And remembering my neighbour , a lovely one boy whos gone now , at the turnstiles when the steward asked him if he had anything in his pockets ,and he produced a small 10 ml spanner ,to which the man confiscated it !
Albert said to him 'You canner have that ,thats what I use to bleed the Nuffield !!!' (his tractor lol)

Phils-an-alki 20th March 2020 13.56:59

[QUOTE=LWR;2349597]Standing on top of that fence.

Happy days[/QUOTE]

Forgot about that game. I was in the stand on the side of the pitch and that stand went nuts too when Proctor scored.
What an utterly depressing shit hole of a ground Gay Meadow was.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Nq0PvbmC8Og&feature=emb_logo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Nq0PvbmC8Og&feature=emb_logo[/URL]

Phils-an-alki 20th March 2020 14.03:07

Remember when we had a proper team, a proper manager and proper strikers?

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=414&v=i4jA5CFtPdA&feature=emb_logo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=414&v=i4jA5CFtPdA&feature=emb_logo[/URL]

redone 20th March 2020 15.05:23

after we beat the Arsenal,we drew the Irons what an away day that was, Philips wonder goal and Lee Jones beat Breaker for pace for the equaliser, West ham had Mike Small who was on 15goals top scorer in the division, never had a lookin, great away support and i just catch a glimpse of myself on TV after Jones scores,28yrs ago jesus!!

Red Light 20th March 2020 16.50:37

I'm going to throw one in the mix - nothing to do with results or goals.

Doesn't matter what year it is - travelling in for a night match in the middle of winter along the Mold Road when you hit Gwersyllt at the end of the dual carriageway and up the hill - and there at the top in the distance like the star of Bethlehem are those massive floodlights glowing white in the black sky - it's like God calling on his congregation to join him at his and our place of worship - you just feel it's a homecoming, you have to be there it's a ritual and in your blood - travelled the same route as a kid with my father and now I am still doing it with my son.

it's one of those iconic moments in life - my other 'travelling moment' is every time I go to Anglesey and cross the bridge to the Island I have to put 'Island of Dreams' by the Seekers on the CD player - Judith Durham is as special as our floodlights ! Or pointing out to my son from a young age that every time you see NORTH WALES in capital letters on a motorway road sign and Liverpool and Manchester are in small letters - it's because we live in the most important and best part of the world.

Anyone else got positive moment match day rituals to add to the thread in addition to results and goals ?

Prodigal Dragon 20th March 2020 17.02:28

[QUOTE=percy vere;2349574]I think there was 126 of us at Hartlepool and I unintentionally kept my ticket. A few years later ugarte was a guest of the club on a match day so I thought I’d get him to sign it. When I couldn’t find it I asked the missus if she’d seen it and she said “ oh I threw it away “[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349562]I feel slightly more mature today so here goes with a couple..

Hartlepool 4 - 6 Wrexham - A game I'll never forget. So glad I was there to witness that madness. What a game of football that was.

This game: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4259917.stm]BBC SPORT | Football | Oldham 3-5 Wrexham[/url]
Mark Jones was unplayable that night. Another classic but typical Wrexham we gave them a lifeline.

Then there was the LDV final itself. Probably the last great day out watching Wrexham. The FAT trophy just wasn't the same for me.

Nothing from non league. Its all been shit.[/QUOTE]

Juan Ugarte was immense that day. It was a great game to be at, especially if you were a neutral who likes to see the odd goal.

Who needs a ticket when you have fond memories!:)

Prodigal Dragon 20th March 2020 17.05:27

[QUOTE=Red Light;2349613]I'm going to throw one in the mix - nothing to do with results or goals.

Doesn't matter what year it is - travelling in for a night match in the middle of winter along the Mold Road when you hit Gwersyllt at the end of the dual carriageway and up the hill - and there at the top in the distance like the star of Bethlehem are those massive floodlights glowing white in the black sky - it's like God calling on his congregation to join him at his and our place of worship - you just feel it's a homecoming, you have to be there it's a ritual and in your blood - travelled the same route as a kid with my father and now I am still doing it with my son.

it's one of those iconic moments in life - my other 'travelling moment' is every time I go to Anglesey and cross the bridge to the Island I have to put 'Island of Dreams' by the Seekers on the CD player - Judith Durham is as special as our floodlights ! Or pointing out to my son from a young age that every time you see NORTH WALES in capital letters on a motorway road sign and Liverpool and Manchester are in small letters - it's because we live in the most important and best part of the world.

Anyone else got positive moment match day rituals to add to the thread in addition to results and goals ?[/QUOTE]

It's weird just how emotive seeing those towering floodlights can be. As both a kid, and now as a grumpy old git :oldgit:, I get a tingling on the back of the neck whenever I approach a night game at the Racecourse. May the light soon return!;)

krux 20th March 2020 17.54:25

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2349601]Remember when we had a proper team, a proper manager and proper strikers?

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=414&v=i4jA5CFtPdA&feature=emb_logo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=414&v=i4jA5CFtPdA&feature=emb_logo[/URL][/QUOTE]

Morrell
Trundle
Ferguson

*shivers*
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

Diggle 20th March 2020 18.37:46

A lot of great memories.

Scouring my memory banks for some different ones:

Zaragoza away when we did a lap of honour after their fans had given the white hanky treatment to their own team. Tears in my eyes.

Rochdale away one night when Joe Cooke slammed in a late equaliser and a maniac skinhead came charging out of their end trying to get into ours. Took about ten police and stewards to get him down.

Steve Fox v Sheffield Wednesday, 4-0, ripped them apart in one of his best performamces for us. Waliking home up Chester Road with a traffic jam of Wednesday fans going past with my scarf round my wrist. Suddenly one of them grabbed it and started pulling me along out of the car "You're coming back to Sheffiled you little Welsh *******"
You don't get that anymore!

dagg 20th March 2020 19.44:09

[QUOTE=krux;2349617]Morrell
Trundle
Ferguson

*shivers*
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

I remember Morrell, Trundle and Ferguson but not shivers. :hiding:

Red Light 20th March 2020 19.55:03

[QUOTE=dagg;2349635]I remember Morrell, Trundle and Ferguson but not shivers. :hiding:[/QUOTE]

Played for Spurs - Martin with a C :D

Rob Edwards 20th March 2020 22.38:57

Wrexham v West Ham Aug 1979 - 1-0 - Mick Vinter. League 2 ( Championship now).
First ever game at Racecourse.
Cannot get much better than that.

Lods 20th March 2020 22.45:19

To post one I haven't seen mentioned yet, a match that always sticks out to me was the home game vs. Bournemouth from the 2002/03 season where we got promoted.

We went 1-0 up, then Bournemouth pulled it to 1-2, then we came back and won 3-2. Turned out to be a 6 pointer, too, we finished 3rd and they were 4th.

How times change though. Two out of the three teams that went up automatically are non-league (us and Hartlepool) and the other is defunct (Rushden & Diamonds), whilst Bournemouth who went up from the play-offs are now in the Prem.

ozzy red 21st March 2020 00.32:56

Tuesday evening 11th august 1984 v Exeter city.
During the miners strike with a crowd of only 1365.
I came all out from Australia on my honeymoon and of course went straight to the Racecource.
After 14 years in Australia my first game.
My cousin organised for my wife and I to be announced as the furthest travelling supporters at the Racecource that night, and when he announced we were on our honeymoon, a huge cheer...that will live with me forever.
Many other memories including Anfield in 1969 up 1-0 v Liverpool.
But that night with only 1365 supporters....brilliant....its what Wrexham is to me.
Back soon after this virus runs its course!

peterlyke 21st March 2020 00.57:33

The European nights in the 80’s were amazing and we should have beaten Zaragoza.

Oldham away in the LDV semi final was like watching Brazil in the first half!

Peterborough away in the cup was the craziest I’ve ever seen Wrexham support and to quote their turnstile bloke ‘what’s brought all you lot down here’

Boston was emotional and The LDV in Cardiff was the biggest high watching the Town

Here’s to more good times!

Wiltshire_Red 22nd March 2020 19.23:34

Keeping this good thread going, the FA Cup ties against Bristol City in 1978, when Bristol City were in the top division. Coming from 2-0 down in the first game away to 4-2 up, followed by 2 late goals from Bristol City to force a 4-4 draw. In the replay we played them off the park winning 3-0, and I seem to remember we also missed 2 penalties. That team was a joy to watch week in and week out.

[url]https://youtu.be/M4dMtzCMkn0[/url]

techender 23rd March 2020 11.10:55

What a game that was. Still remember being walked from the train station to Ashton Gate and the police being quite aggressive about everyone staying in line.

Suddenly there was a commotion behind us and the poor guy they used to call the "grid hopper" (remember him?) broke out of the crowd, ran across the road and started hopping around a grid.

The police just stood there and stared at him, not knowing what to do.

Red Light 23rd March 2020 11.45:56

Here's one favourite memory.
Welsh Cup semi final 1st leg night match at Ninnian Park.
Played them off the park first half but eventually lost the leg 2 - 0 in a cauldron of hatred.

At the end of the match we were aboard the official club coaches - police everywhere lining the initial route plus motorcycle outriders - all keeping the baying, screaming Cardiff hordes a distance from us pleasant mannered Northerners. Lots of verbal abuse, two fingered salutes - no welcome in the hillside from our southern brothers.

The late 'Ian 'Jacko' Roberts decides to give them some of their own medicine - and whilst the coaches are in full flow climbs through the coach roof skylight onto the coach roof, stands up and lets fly with some abusive 'body movements' and language of his own - the barometer of hatred goes up even more - after a distance the police realise something is up, stop the coaches and board them - by this time of course Jacko has shot down through the roof skylight and was back in his seat as if butter wouldn't melt. exclaiming 'What seems to be the problem officer?' Coach contents erupting in laughter.
A memorable classic which brought much humour to a defeat.

I remember asking him many moons ago why he was called Jacko - he told me as a kid he watched a TV show where a monkey climbed a tree and shook the coconuts from it - so he imitated the monkey by climbing trees - certainly the climbing tips he picked up in his youth were used that night. Never knew if it was absolutely true, never knew the TV programme - you could never tell if Jacko was pulling your leg or not - a much missed comedian from our midst.

Willywill 23rd March 2020 11.51:25

From memory, Gridhopper was a guy called Les Rowley. He had a few issues, I am sure. Sat near him on a trip to Carlisle once. Apart from jumping, he had to wrap things around his wrist three times. Tricky when it was fish n chips.

dragonspark 23rd March 2020 12.01:44

too much emotion, i could bloody well club, i know this thread is meant to cheer us up but reading and remembering are emphasising for me at least, what a club we once had and the remains we now have, just the remnants of a once respected club, feared by those above us, jealousy from our rivals gold i wish i could go back to the seventies, apart from the fashions, and live that carefree, no problems easier uncomplicated life with excellant music and a football team to watch, i know everything was not always perfect but those euro cup winners nights and our cup runs were something else it sickens me, absolutely sickens me to the core to see where we are now

Red Light 23rd March 2020 15.12:49

[QUOTE=Willywill;2349943]From memory, Gridhopper was a guy called Les Rowley. He had a few issues, I am sure. Sat near him on a trip to Carlisle once. Apart from jumping, he had to wrap things around his wrist three times. Tricky when it was fish n chips.[/QUOTE]

Thank yourself lucky he didn't opt for the mushy peas too - that 'long' trip to Carlisle could have become a very messy business indeed.

Every club has such characters if you look hard enough and long enough back - reminds me that Chester had such a supporter - didn't he go on the pitch pre match and half time walking on his hands.

dragonspark 23rd March 2020 17.19:36

to red light, that was harry mcnally

Red Light 23rd March 2020 17.55:03

[QUOTE=dragonspark;2349972]to red light, that was harry mcnally[/QUOTE]

Harry Mc drank far too much red wine to stand up properly on his feet never mind walk on his hands :D

Red Light 23rd March 2020 18.29:21

The Chester fan who walked on his hands back in the 70's pre match and half time was one Billy Large.
Crystal Palace had a keeper John Burridge who I distinctly remember seeing at the Racecourse - he would walk on his hands as part of his pre match warm up.
Crew Alex had a trumpeter in the early 80's playing 'Blue Moon'.
Portsmouth's John Westwood who's been ringing the Pompey chimes with his school bell for decades.
I close my eyes and go back in time - a packed Racecourse with far more red & white scarves, rattles, bog rolls being thrown (that's when you could buy them) and who remembers those Del Boy trotters Independent Trading like pale blue three wheeler cars parked pitchside between the kop corner and the Mold Road stand under the Turf balcony ? I'm not a smoker but football to me is best served at a night match under lights with tobacco smoke and the scent of burgers and onions wafting everywhere - the singing, the chanting, the vivid green pitch in contrast to the black sky......then the gladiators enter the arena.....I have friends who have never and will never attend a football match - they just don't understand do they ?

BloodRed 23rd March 2020 18.33:38

For me Peterborough away in the cup 4-2 game. The moment when Rooster’s incredible volley hit the top corner. The away end went ballistic. I think the yoof call it limbs!

anf 23rd March 2020 18.37:03

Rockin` Robin riding on a push bike around the pitch during a game..... York City, I think. Even the away end were laughing and clapping him too.

Also remember a young lad getting his head stuck in the railings at the front of the kop (Turf end) mid `90`s.

Red Light 23rd March 2020 19.17:33

[QUOTE=anf;2349981]Rockin` Robin riding on a push bike around the pitch during a game..... York City, I think. Even the away end were laughing and clapping him too.

Also remember a young lad getting his head stuck in the railings at the front of the kop (Turf end) mid `90`s.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes.....it's all coming back - think Rockin got in trouble over the bike ride - wasn't he holding a Welsh flag on a pole as he rode his bike around the pitch with the game in progress ?

And Mike Williams testimonial - a 1 - 1 draw with Chester and when they scored two Chester lads celebrated on the kop and were chased down the steps only one cracked his head ducking under the crowd barrier rail and ended up being taken away in a St John's Ambulance to kop chants of 'Your going home in a Wrexham ambulance'.

Joey Jones Testimonial pre match parachute drop by the Red Arrows team - only one missed the pitch and ended up dropping into the old empty disused Mold Road stand terrace at the time.

Bigmike 23rd March 2020 21.44:33

[QUOTE=Red Light;2349964]Thank yourself lucky he didn't opt for the mushy peas too - that 'long' trip to Carlisle could have become a very messy business indeed.

Every club has such characters if you look hard enough and long enough back - reminds me that Chester had such a supporter - didn't he go on the pitch pre match and half time walking on his hands.[/QUOTE]

His name was billy He was allowed to go on the pitch at half time and jump around do forward rolls and stuff. I think people used to give him money. As you say a character and was harmless.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.50:49.