RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/115520-favourite-positive-moment-wrexham-fan.html)

andy buckley 23rd March 2020 22.33:59

Re: Favourite Positive Moment as a Wrexham Fan

[QUOTE=Red Light;2349990]

And Mike Williams testimonial - a 1 - 1 draw with Chester and when they scored two Chester lads celebrated on the kop and were chased down the steps only one cracked his head ducking under the crowd barrier rail and ended up being taken away in a St John's Ambulance to kop chants of 'Your going home in a Wrexham ambulance'..[/QUOTE]

LOL I think someone put the Chester fan on his arse it wasn't a barrier

Funny_Old_Game 23rd March 2020 22.42:18

[QUOTE=percy vere;2349470]Trundles hat trick against Oxford - awesome[/QUOTE]

Very much so, I remember it like yesterday. It was astonishing how good he was in those early games. His ability was on another planet altogether.

I remember another game on Sept 11th 2001, where the match went ahead and he absolutely rifled in a goal out of nothing.

Red Light 23rd March 2020 23.24:44

[QUOTE=Funny_Old_Game;2350017]Very much so, I remember it like yesterday. It was astonishing how good he was in those early games. His ability was on another planet altogether.

I remember another game on Sept 11th 2001, where the match went ahead and he absolutely rifled in a goal out of nothing.[/QUOTE]

That home game v Oxford United was a cracker - result 5 - 3 I think.

I will always remember Trundle for scoring a goal at Walsall infront of the away supporters in the second half when we came back from 2 - 0 down to win 2 - 3. Controlled the ball with his back to goal and scored from an overhead kick. He had some fabulous talent - one who's style of play didn't fit under Dennis Smith - our loss was Swansea City's massive gain - they loved him down there and still do. The common theme is as soon as we get a goal scorer he's off - Trundle, Jim Steele, Danny Wright and Jake Speight - nobody seems to have the desire to stay - even Gary Bennett who must have had his best ever years with us went to give life in a higher division a try.
Still have nightmares to this day how both Jim Steele and Jimmy Harvey left us for Tranmere Rovers under Johnny King and sent them soaring the leagues to the brink of the Premier League.

krux 24th March 2020 07.08:07

[QUOTE=Red Light;2350022]That home game v Oxford United was a cracker - result 5 - 3 I think.

I will always remember Trundle for scoring a goal at Walsall infront of the away supporters in the second half when we came back from 2 - 0 down to win 2 - 3. Controlled the ball with his back to goal and scored from an overhead kick. He had some fabulous talent - [B]one who's style of play didn't fit under Dennis Smith[/B] - our loss was Swansea City's massive gain - they loved him down there and still do. The common theme is as soon as we get a goal scorer he's off - Trundle, Jim Steele, Danny Wright and Jake Speight - nobody seems to have the desire to stay - even Gary Bennett who must have had his best ever years with us went to give life in a higher division a try.
Still have nightmares to this day how both Jim Steele and Jimmy Harvey left us for Tranmere Rovers under Johnny King and sent them soaring the leagues to the brink of the Premier League.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say that? it definitely did!

Hometown Unicorn 24th March 2020 07.20:17

Lee Trundle was my hero growing up. Always had time to talk to supporters, young and old.

Diggle 24th March 2020 08.54:35

[QUOTE=krux;2350033]Why do you say that? it definitely did![/QUOTE]

It was nothing to do with Trundle's style not fitting under Denis Smith, he tried everything to get Trudnle to re-sign.

Flynn knew Trundle's contract inside out and offered him much better terms. Simple, Same with Morrell and Coventry.

That was the beginning of the end of us as a League club realistically.

Huffy 24th March 2020 09.10:33

When I was at school ,if I was on the wing , I always wanted to be Ian Moir (in my head) or Brian Tinnion ,and if in front of goal -Albert Kinsey !!
I thought at the time the name Albert was a bit sort of old style but Kinsey was a great number 9 !! :coolgleamA:

Wiltshire_Red 26th March 2020 12.42:38

One of the few good memories of our time in non league was the 2011/12 season, and the home FA Cup replay against Brighton, then in the Championship, epitomises the good footballing team we had that season, losing 5-4 on penalties, after drawing 1-1.

A great goal by Andy Morrell, and some real footballers in that team [url]https://youtu.be/ZpRLtT39QaY[/url].

The team put together by Saunders would have romped the league that season with games to spare, but unfortunately the high spending Fleetwood and Jamie Vardy were there to thwart our hopes.

Red Light 26th March 2020 14.12:59

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2350381]One of the few good memories of our time in non league was the 2011/12 season, and the home FA Cup replay against Brighton, then in the Championship, epitomises the good footballing team we had that season, losing 5-4 on penalties, after drawing 1-1.

A great goal by Andy Morrell, and some real footballers in that team [url]https://youtu.be/ZpRLtT39QaY[/url].

The team put together by Saunders would have romped the league that season with games to spare, but unfortunately the high spending Fleetwood and Jamie Vardy were there to thwart our hopes.[/QUOTE]

The really frustrating part was we led the league for the most part of the season and took four points from the available 6 from Fleetwood.
We never recovered from losing Obeng.
Lost the number of times we would be coming out of the Racecourse at the final whistle celebrating another win - only to discover Fleetwood had scored again in the dying embers of yet another game to convert defeats into draws and draws into wins - unbelievable how it kept happening - timings is everything - we have been very unlucky in many ways.

Lord Derfyl Cadarn 26th March 2020 14.55:34

[QUOTE=The Method Maws;2349522]Pretty much the same ones people have mentioned. The fa cup games. Arsenal, Ipswich, Man Utd, Stoke

Does anyone remember this classic relegation 6 pointer? We were both bottom 2 with one team going down

Great game.

Never knew Andy Marriott played for them that day

Wow, I had forgotten that one. What a rollercoaster of a game that was.

BillEBadass 27th March 2020 09.18:04

I share so many of the memories above and massive thanks to everyone who bought back ones which had been 'lost'.
My own contribution is not a single game but the optimistic feeling of hope and anticipation the week or so before the season starts. Regardless of pre - season friendlies and new signings there has to be a sense of belief that this is 'our year'.

For me this will never change.

techender 27th March 2020 09.25:26

Good point Bill. I can't remember the number of times I have been totally unimpressed by some of our pre-season dealings only to see us thump some village team 4-0 in a pre season friendly and walk away thinking "Hey, that wasn't do bad, maybe this is our year"

Unfortunately, reality tends to bite before the end of August usually.

Ddraigoch 31st March 2020 10.17:52

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2349440]There is enough doom and gloom due to CV-19; and enough OTT slagging off of the Board. So, on a more upbeat note, which game or incident 'rocks your boat' as a Wrexham fan.

Mine was our 3-2 victory over Spurs in the League Cup back in 1976. Wagged school to go to London by train, and saw our best footballing display ever. Happy days, indeed!

Wrexham: Lloyd, Mason, Fogg, Davis, May, Evans, Tinnion, Sutton, Ashcroft, Kinsey, Thomas[/QUOTE]

I still say that was the best performance of a Wrexham team I have ever seen.
Surprisingly Billy Ashcroft thinks so too!!

Wiltshire_Red 1st April 2020 11.36:28

Some classic games in this article.

[url]https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wrexham-fc-150-12-games-7917787[/url]

Prodigal Dragon 1st April 2020 14.59:40

[QUOTE=Ddraigoch;2350954]I still say that was the best performance of a Wrexham team I have ever seen.
Surprisingly Billy Ashcroft thinks so too!![/QUOTE]

The quality, running, speed and vision shown that night was on a par with any Premiership game.

Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow repeat that level of performance sometime soon.

We can but dream!;)

Ddraigoch 1st April 2020 16.01:55

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2351127]The quality, running, speed and vision shown that night was on a par with any Premiership game.

Wouldn't it be great if we could somehow repeat that level of performance sometime soon.

We can but dream!;)[/QUOTE]

You said it:D
Spurs couldn't live with us in the 1st half and the difference between this and the Arsenal game was if we had won 5-2 it wouldn't have been a travesty. We were simply outstanding from 1-11.

Ah great memories. I'd love to see highlights

Welsh Kiwi 2nd April 2020 09.25:16

Yeah the spurs away game in 76 is the one game I wished I could have gone to but at 7 years old away games were out of bounds to me then.

So for me its Anderlecht at home. QF on Cup Winners Cup. Just 1 of 8 teams left in the whole of Europe.

The continental fizz. The expectation we could realistically take on a side with 2 dutch world cup winners.

The brand new adidas kit, we had only worn for the 2nd ever time. Adidas approached us because of our incredible exploits in Europe. Imagine them doing that now.

All red, a beautiful vision and the Wrexham badge was 10 times the size of the adidas trefoil logo. Imagine that ratio happening to day? Nope. Thought not.

King Billy up front. He impressed Anderlecht so much they tried to sign him straight after the game. Ive still got the board letters somewhere documenting the offer than came in and am trying to get them to Billy.

I was sitting on my dads knee as there were no seats anywhere.

When Stuart Lee scored he was so excited he threw me high up into the air.

All i could see was the paddock below me and thinking. Oh Sh*t Im going down there.

Luckily dad caught me on the way down.

Great memories, you can never forget memories.

Thanks for the positivity PD,

It's much needed !!

Apathetic 2nd April 2020 09.44:12

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2349440]There is enough doom and gloom due to CV-19; and enough OTT slagging off of the Board. So, on a more upbeat note, which game or incident 'rocks your boat' as a Wrexham fan.

Mine was our 3-2 victory over Spurs in the League Cup back in 1976. Wagged school to go to London by train, and saw our best footballing display ever. Happy days, indeed!

Wrexham: Lloyd, Mason, Fogg, Davis, May, Evans, Tinnion, Sutton, Ashcroft, Kinsey, Thomas[/QUOTE]

My dad went to this, sadly passed away last year. I remember him coming back and seeing shattered glass in his coat. Apparently his coach had been bricked leaving the ground. He didn't take me as it was a school night, probably worked out right for me. However I still would have loved to have been there. I also still have the match programme.

NottsRed 2nd April 2020 11.23:39

One that stands out for me was beating Cambridge 5-0 in the promotion season under Dennis Smith. Think it was the last game of the season played in beautiful sunshine. We absolutely played them off the pitch from the first kick of the game. Both Carlos and Paul Edwards were immense on the wing. Don't think Trundle played in this one either.

Prodigal Dragon 2nd April 2020 14.10:22

[QUOTE=Apathetic;2351213]My dad went to this, sadly passed away last year. I remember him coming back and seeing shattered glass in his coat. Apparently his coach had been bricked leaving the ground. He didn't take me as it was a school night, probably worked out right for me. However I still would have loved to have been there. I also still have the match programme.[/QUOTE]

I was 15 at the time. It was very frightening on the Tube back to Euston, when a bunch of Spurs fans were asking folk who had scored the goals for Wrexham. Thankfully, I was wise enough to say now't, otherwise I would have been thumped.

Would not have missed it for the world!:)

Prodigal Dragon 2nd April 2020 14.12:54

[QUOTE=Welsh Kiwi;2351209]Yeah the spurs away game in 76 is the one game I wished I could have gone to but at 7 years old away games were out of bounds to me then.

So for me its Anderlecht at home. QF on Cup Winners Cup. Just 1 of 8 teams left in the whole of Europe.

The continental fizz. The expectation we could realistically take on a side with 2 dutch world cup winners.

The brand new adidas kit, we had only worn for the 2nd ever time. Adidas approached us because of our incredible exploits in Europe. Imagine them doing that now.

All red, a beautiful vision and the Wrexham badge was 10 times the size of the adidas trefoil logo. Imagine that ratio happening to day? Nope. Thought not.

King Billy up front. He impressed Anderlecht so much they tried to sign him straight after the game. Ive still got the board letters somewhere documenting the offer than came in and am trying to get them to Billy.

All i could see was the paddock below me and thinking. Oh Sh*t Im going down there.

It's much needed !![/QUOTE]

Another great night to remember. The atmosphere was buzzing, and we were so unlucky not to beat them. Mickey Evans was brilliant except for that one moment which changed the game.

cardiffred 3rd April 2020 13.42:13

[QUOTE=Diggle;2350046]It was nothing to do with Trundle's style not fitting under Denis Smith, he tried everything to get Trudnle to re-sign.

Flynn knew Trundle's contract inside out and offered him much better terms. Simple, Same with Morrell and Coventry.

That was the beginning of the end of us as a League club realistically.[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't sign a contract as he had something else lined up. That fell through. We'd already spent our budget on Chris Armstrong and Chris Llewellyn so had no money to give him. He then went to the Jacks.

Wiltshire_Red 3rd April 2020 13.58:37

[QUOTE=Welsh Kiwi;2351209]Yeah the spurs away game in 76 is the one game I wished I could have gone to but at 7 years old away games were out of bounds to me then.

Re-live that match with the great man John Neal talking about the game [url]https://youtu.be/FUxCezzPUmM[/url]. We can only dream of those great games in the 70s happening again in the future

Welsh Kiwi 3rd April 2020 19.32:50

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2351401]Re-live that match with the great man John Neal talking about the game [url]https://youtu.be/FUxCezzPUmM[/url]. We can only dream of those great games in the 70s happening again in the future[/QUOTE]

Cheers Wiltshire Red.

It's like a dream.

But it really did happen in our lifetime didn't it?

Or are we all dreaming ?

Welsh Kiwi 3rd April 2020 20.22:12

[QUOTE=Prodigal Dragon;2351241]Another great night to remember. The atmosphere was buzzing, and we were so unlucky not to beat them. Mickey Evans was brilliant except for that one moment which changed the game.[/QUOTE]

Bit harsh that on Mickey PD. It was their class and talent that beat him in that one moment. Watch the video again!

Prodigal Dragon 4th April 2020 10.48:29

[QUOTE=Welsh Kiwi;2351444]Bit harsh that on Mickey PD. It was their class and talent that beat him in that one moment. Watch the video again![/QUOTE]

I must first mow the lawn and do some weeding in the garden. Afterwards, I will watch it.

My comments about Mickey Evans were a bit tongue in cheek because he — along with the whole team — gave an excellent performance that night. But, after 45 years, if my memory serves me well — for a change — we were undone by a world-class move by that great Anderlecht team.

Prodigal Dragon 4th April 2020 18.07:45

[QUOTE=Welsh Kiwi;2351444]Bit harsh that on Mickey PD. It was their class and talent that beat him in that one moment. Watch the video again![/QUOTE]

You are quite correct; I take it all back, and owe Mickey a beer.

What a great game that was! Mel Sutton was immense, and if only Graham Whittle's shot had gone in.

Mrs PD has just won the virtual Grand National: £1 e/w so is now a compulsive gambler. Mine came second, so won't hear the end of it.

Stay safe in NZ, and hope we have some normality soon.:)

eastsussexred 4th April 2020 18.28:01

[B]So for me its Anderlecht at home. QF on Cup Winners Cup. Just 1 of 8 teams left in the whole of Europe.[/B]

Same for me. I still remember the gut-wrenching feeling when Anderlecht equalised and I can still visualise their fans with purple and white scarves celebrating in the yale stand, and the realisation that we would be going out, which descended on the kop after; even so, a memorable night.

dixierob 5th April 2020 10.02:35

The thumping of Newcastle 4-0 in the Cup was one of the most complete performances I ever seen from a Wrexham team. The same season beating Bristol City, who were in the 1st Div, 3-0. That was after drawing 4-4 at at Bristol I think.

But the icing on the cake was beating Rotherham 7-1 to win the old 3rd Div and go up to the 2nd for the first time in our history. Great memories.

Inside Left 5th April 2020 10.22:18

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2351401]Re-live that match with the great man John Neal talking about the game [url]https://youtu.be/FUxCezzPUmM[/url]. We can only dream of those great games in the 70s happening again in the future[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that .Whilst watching I was still willing Lee's and Suttons shots to hit the back of the net. and as for their keeper s performance that night.

Quay Red 5th April 2020 11.24:12

[QUOTE=Inside Left;2351648]Thanks for that .Whilst watching I was still willing Lee's and Suttons shots to hit the back of the net. and as for their keeper s performance that night.[/QUOTE]

I always thought that the keeper pulled the ball back from behind the line for one effort in the top corner.

Wiltshire_Red 6th April 2020 17.32:17

[QUOTE=dixierob;2351640]The thumping of Newcastle 4-0 in the Cup was one of the most complete performances I ever seen from a Wrexham team. The same season beating Bristol City, who were in the 1st Div, 3-0. That was after drawing 4-4 at at Bristol I think.

But the icing on the cake was beating Rotherham 7-1 to win the old 3rd Div and go up to the 2nd for the first time in our history. Great memories.[/QUOTE]

2 great performances against Newcastle in the FA Cup in 1978, we were spoilt during those years with so many great performances, if only we had someone like Dixie in our team now [url]https://youtu.be/CGANI8y2cwQ[/url]. Just glad I was around to see that team in the 70s, what memories.

Dead eye Dixie 6th April 2020 17.56:42

With reference to the line up when we played Spurs on Wednesday 22nd September 2976.
I believe Periodical Dragon has the wrong line up.
I believe it was as follows.
Lloyd
Evan's
Dwyer
Davies
Robert's
Thomas
Shinton
Sutton
Ashcroft
Whittle
Griffiths.
Albert Kinsey never played.
I skipped school as well.
Went on the bus with " Phil the pies ".
Pretty scary after the game. Spurs fans wanting to fight anyone.
Great game as you said.

Prodigal Dragon 6th April 2020 18.03:14

[QUOTE=Dead eye Dixie;2351798]With reference to the line up when we played Spurs on Wednesday 22nd September 2976.
I believe Periodical Dragon has the wrong line up.
I believe it was as follows.
Lloyd
Evan's
Dwyer
Davies
Robert's
Thomas
Shinton
Sutton
Ashcroft
Whittle
Griffiths.
Albert Kinsey never played.
I skipped school as well.
Went on the bus with " Phil the pies ".
Pretty scary after the game. Spurs fans wanting to fight anyone.
Great game as you said.[/QUOTE]

You're quite correct. My first 'cut and paste job' was wrong.

Great night out. I went on the Special Train, and the Tube was very hairy after the game.

Pompey Dragon 6th April 2020 19.43:05

I've seen many a game over the years but apart from the fa cup games the 4 - 3 win at home against Swindon always sticks in the mind. A hat trick by king Karl and a winner by Barry Hunter. Lots of quality and fight in that team.

moynkeepthefaith 7th April 2020 08.03:39

[QUOTE=dixierob;2351640]The thumping of Newcastle 4-0 in the Cup was one of the most complete performances I ever seen from a Wrexham team. The same season beating Bristol City, who were in the 1st Div, 3-0. That was after drawing 4-4 at at Bristol I think.

But the icing on the cake was beating Rotherham 7-1 to win the old 3rd Div and go up to the 2nd for the first time in our history. Great memories.[/QUOTE]

I think it was 4-1 Dixie but it was a great night even if i did get a thick lip after a 'discussion' with some geordies in the car park afterwards.

Freddy Salted 7th April 2020 08.52:16

When I got the phone call that we had won our high court battle against Hamilton. Best news ever as a Wrexham fan. Shed a tear that day.

Welsh Kiwi 7th April 2020 09.21:51

[QUOTE=Wiltshire_Red;2351792]2 great performances against Newcastle in the FA Cup in 1978, we were spoilt during those years with so many great performances, if only we had someone like Dixie in our team now [url]https://youtu.be/CGANI8y2cwQ[/url]. Just glad I was around to see that team in the 70s, what memories.[/QUOTE]

Seems like im in a dream watching these old videos.

I mean I know I was there, but it still seems like another life. Another time lived.

That back pass from the newcastle player that set Les up for the 4th goal was laughable.

They were utterly perplexed by what Wrexham did to them that night and completely lost it.

What Les did with that final chip proved the gulf in class between the two teams.

And there we were a third division side out classing a first division (premiership) side.

Truly magic.

borntobered 7th April 2020 21.45:18

Here's another that I don't think has been mentioned - Zaragoza at home, never seen a goalkeeping display like the one given by their 6ft 6ins reserve goalie - cedrun (i think) and 2 goals from 'the chubby Chilean ' as the commentator called him

steve 8th April 2020 09.27:00

[QUOTE=borntobered;2351908]Here's another that I don't think has been mentioned - Zaragoza at home, never seen a goalkeeping display like the one given by their 6ft 6ins reserve goalie - cedrun (i think) and 2 goals from 'the chubby Chilean ' as the commentator called him[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable performance from Wrexham that night, well unlucky to only go out on the away goal. Was working on a building site at the time and remember a few of us going in the next day and we had all lost our voices with shouting, singing so much at the game.

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.17:53.