RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board

RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/)
-   Wrexham (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/)
-   -   Is that it for signings? (http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrexham/110081-signings.html)

WREX01 19th July 2017 18.46:41

Re: Is that it for signings?

Off topic slightly but , Ishmael Miller is still available !
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size]

johnstownred 19th July 2017 19.33:53

Heard off a Halifax fan we've had a five figure sum accepted don't know how true it is :confused:

Keyser Söze 19th July 2017 19.54:20

[QUOTE=johnstownred;2051641]Heard off a Halifax fan we've had a five figure sum accepted don't know how true it is :confused:[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I've only heard good things about Roberts.

Foxy 19th July 2017 19.54:36

[QUOTE=johnstownred;2051641]Heard off a Halifax fan we've had a five figure sum accepted don't know how true it is :confused:[/QUOTE]

If we have spent five figures on a full back when we already have one, alarm bells will be ringing.

Hawarden Red10 19th July 2017 19.57:20

[QUOTE=Foxy;2051652]If we have spent five figures on a full back when we already have one, alarm bells will be ringing.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what you've wanted the club to do, spend some money?:44:

LWR 19th July 2017 20.01:09

[QUOTE=Foxy;2051652]If we have spent five figures on a full back when we already have one, alarm bells will be ringing.[/QUOTE]

Arguably we haven't gotten one.

Hurst when signed. Keates said he spotted him when he was playing Centre Mid against us for Dover. Arguably signed as a utility/ cover player.

Carrington is a Central Midfield (whether you think he's any good there is another matter) playing RB.

Its been rumoured that Keates has been after Roberts since atleast January, when we were rumoured to have had a bid rejected.

johnstownred 19th July 2017 20.04:53

Halifax fans rate him highly 'great in the air, good passer and got lots of assists last season'

Birdy 19th July 2017 20.13:17

Not at all. It shows ambition (something you wanted the club to do) and even then it could be just £10k hardly a big sum is it.

Connah's Quay Red 19th July 2017 20.16:55

There'll be money left for a striker even if we sign Roberts. No need to panic.

I think, on paper. That would give us one of the best back fours in the league and they'll all be on two year deals.

dixienormous 19th July 2017 20.18:13

Why la? Come on, we haven't got one at the club ffs. Carrington does a 'job' there and that's it, that's all he does wherever he is. Don't get me wrong he's a solid pro and a very useful squad player but that's it.

Jennings likes to attack down the left but Carrington is unable to get over the half way line without turning inside and slowing everything down. For me, we're crying out for a proper right sided fullback or the balance wont be right.

We also need another decent striker.

Foxy 19th July 2017 20.18:53

[QUOTE=Birdy;2051658]Not at all. It shows ambition (something you wanted the club to do) and even then it could be just £10k hardly a big sum is it.[/QUOTE]

We will see. I think Keates knows enough not to spend money on a full back. It's the icing on the cake , the last position you get right, the ultimate luxury.

Superunknown 19th July 2017 20.19:28

It's a good signing. But not at the expense of a quality striker.

NedStarksGhost 19th July 2017 20.21:02

Considering it's a position we have struggled with for years and always look exposed there, I'd say it's a pretty good idea to get a quality right back in. I feel Dean will be wise with what he has and will have enough to bring in another striker.

Carrington isn't good enough as a right back. He's always been a makeshift right back.

dixienormous 19th July 2017 20.21:02

[QUOTE=Superunknown;2051664]It's a good signing. But not at the expense of a quality striker.[/QUOTE]

I'll be very pleased if we sign Roberts, presuming we'll be signing another striker.

Keyser Söze 19th July 2017 20.21:07

[QUOTE=Birdy;2051658]Not at all. It shows ambition (something you wanted the club to do) and even then it could be just £10k hardly a big sum is it.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree! Keates knows he needs another striker, I don't doubt that he will also address that.

WREX01 19th July 2017 20.30:38

10 assists last season !

Birdy 19th July 2017 20.33:58

[QUOTE=WREX01;2051675]10 assists last season !
[size=1][i]Posted via mobile theme[/i][/size][/QUOTE]

Beware of the assists! Just look at Newton!

eggjinderbrummiedragon 19th July 2017 20.35:35

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2051662]Why la? Come on, we haven't got one at the club ffs. Carrington does a 'job' there and that's it, that's all he does wherever he is. Don't get me wrong he's a solid pro and a very useful squad player but that's it.

Jennings likes to attack down the left but Carrington is unable to get over the half way line without turning inside and slowing everything down. For me, we're crying out for a proper right sided fullback or the balance wont be right.

We also need another decent striker.[/QUOTE]

After seeing Hurst for the 1st time on Saturday i have to agree with you Dixie.

dixienormous 19th July 2017 20.41:00

[QUOTE=eggjinderbrummiedragon;2051682]After seeing Hurst for the 1st time on Saturday i have to agree with you Dixie.[/QUOTE]

Aye, Hurst doesn't look great at right back and Kelly is even worse as a left back. To be fair, I think Keates prefers him in midfield.

Carrington and Hurst will be great as cover though.

don1 19th July 2017 21.20:08

Living in Halifax myself, I've heard nothing concrete. Interest on our part, but I haven't been made aware by my Halifax supporting mates about an offer being accepted. I'd be happy with Roberts though.

pagl 19th July 2017 21.35:28

Why?
Keates knows what he needs and what he can pay for better than anyone.

Bissell 19th July 2017 21.44:38

[QUOTE=don1;2051703]Living in Halifax myself, I've heard nothing concrete. Interest on our part, but I haven't been made aware by my Halifax supporting mates about an offer being accepted. I'd be happy with Roberts though.[/QUOTE]

Roberts is a decent player and would improve us.

What about Halifax's giant no9 denton? Scored for fun last season, 20 goals. Could we be after him and not Roberts?

sionwxm 19th July 2017 21.46:18

[QUOTE=Bissell;2051713]Roberts is a decent player and would improve us.

What about Halifax's giant no9 denton? Scored for fun last season, 20 goals. Could we be after him and not Roberts?[/QUOTE]

Sorry he's a donkey. One of the worst players I have seen play at the Racecourse, although he did score against us that day :eek:

LlayDragon 19th July 2017 22.25:59

[QUOTE=sionwxm;2051715]Sorry he's a donkey. One of the worst players I have seen play at the Racecourse, although he did score against us that day :eek:[/QUOTE]

At 6'7'' I'm not suprised he isn't very mobile.

red under the bed 19th July 2017 23.51:27

[QUOTE=dixienormous;2051662]Why la? Come on, we haven't got one at the club ffs. Carrington does a 'job' there and that's it, that's all he does wherever he is. Don't get me wrong he's a solid pro and a very useful squad player but that's it.

We also need another decent striker.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this.....and also that Carrington tends to turn in on himself ,often leading to unnecessary pressure at the back

WREX777 20th July 2017 00.27:20

Can't believe people seriously think this is a good idea. We need a striker to get out of this league not a full back, a position of which we already have more than enough cover for.

Connah's Quay Red 20th July 2017 02.21:17

[QUOTE=WREX777;2051724]Can't believe people seriously think this is a good idea. We need a striker to get out of this league not a full back, a position of which we already have more than enough cover for.[/QUOTE]

Obviously we don't know for certain if it is Roberts we've put a bid in for. Even if we have. What makes you think it'll be instead of a striker? Of the first team squad we have, 2 are loanees and two are first year pros.

Birdy 20th July 2017 07.34:02

[QUOTE=WREX777;2051724]Can't believe people seriously think this is a good idea. We need a striker to get out of this league not a full back, a position of which we already have more than enough cover for.[/QUOTE]

Thats a bad idea too. We need both. Not a fill in for right back it will be pretty big weakness in our team if we don't adress it.

Foxy 20th July 2017 07.51:05

[QUOTE=Birdy;2051737]Thats a bad idea too. We need both. Not a fill in for right back it will be pretty big weakness in our team if we don't adress it.[/QUOTE]

Really ? Carrington was player of the season in that position a few years back and he was probably runner up to Riley last year.

FieldtownRed 20th July 2017 08.01:52

[QUOTE=Foxy;2051740]Really ? Carrington was player of the season in that position a few years back and he was probably runner up to Riley last year.[/QUOTE]

Given the squad over the last few years, those aren't really achievements to brag about.

Gaz Wxm 20th July 2017 08.16:13

was Kevin Roberts the right back DK made an offer for early in the window which was turned down?
DK said he would review the RB position if he thought it necessary..... having seen most of the friendly games it is necessary.....
I appreciate the clamour to get another striker (which i am sure is in hand) but surely we need players than can get the ball to the forward line?
Something we have been lacking for a few years.

red_dragon 20th July 2017 08.21:09

[QUOTE=Gaz Wxm;2051745]was Kevin Roberts the right back DK made an offer for early in the window which was turned down?
DK said he would review the RB position if he thought it necessary..... having seen most of the friendly games it is necessary.....
I appreciate the clamour to get another striker (which i am sure is in hand) but surely we need players than can get the ball to the forward line?
Something we have been lacking for a few years.[/QUOTE]

bid for him in January and earlier in the summer

Phils-an-alki 20th July 2017 08.26:38

Carrington isn't a full back. After what 4 years of watching him, that penny should have dropped a long time ago.

B10Red 20th July 2017 09.09:22

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2051747]Carrington isn't a full back. After what 4 years of watching him, that penny should have dropped a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

Tbf Phils-an-alki, you would barely call Carrington a footballer

sparky 20th July 2017 09.10:13

Personally I'd be all for signing a proper right back (Carrington isn't one), that would really set the foundations for the next couple of years and put the defence to bed.

I'm also a bit miffed that some of those who appear to less than impressed with such a signing still say to this say day that selling our previous proper right back (for the best fee we have received for a player since we have been down here) and replacing him with an average one cost us promotion. Things that make you go hmmmmm....

Phils-an-alki 20th July 2017 09.18:34

[QUOTE=B10Red;2051755]Tbf Phils-an-alki, you would barely call Carrington a footballer[/QUOTE]

No pace, no guts, no ambition or attacking intent on the ball, always chooses the safe option, hides and against any sort of decent winger he gets rinsed. These are all facts not opinions.

ugarte007 20th July 2017 09.25:58

If build the budget hasnt been touched lets get a right back and a striker in now, thats what I put my cash in for. I would like to be ready to go come the 5th of August. January could be to late to start chasing signings.

redtalk 20th July 2017 09.26:47

[QUOTE=Phils-an-alki;2051759]No pace, no guts, no ambition or attacking intent on the ball, always chooses the safe option, hides and against any sort of decent winger he gets rinsed. These are all facts not opinions.[/QUOTE]

If they were facts, consecutive managers would not continue to keep him on. You may be confident in you analysis of him, but your confidence cannot stretch into calling your views as facts. I am indifferent when it comes to Carrington personally.

Actually here is a BTB idea, i will kick the ball rolling and donate £10 if we can get the media team to record a civilised chat between Phils-an-alki and Carrington over a cup of tea in cafe to discuss the qualities needed to be a successful Wrexham player.:D

NedStarksGhost 20th July 2017 09.35:05

[QUOTE=Foxy;2051740]Really ? Carrington was player of the season in that position a few years back and he was probably runner up to Riley last year.[/QUOTE]

He's a mediocre right back. He'll do for cover.

quaydragon 20th July 2017 09.44:49

When you read some of the comments put on here about our existing players, it is a miracle that Dean Keates has been able to attract any new players here. I just wonder if the posters are as good at their jobs as they expect our players to be at theirs. We are after all a National League team .

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.38:55.