Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th August 2017, 09.03:48   #1-0 (permalink)

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Attacking football?

Just picking up on a comment off another thread saying we look like we are 'set up to not lose rather than win a game', I think that might have some truth in it. Quite 'Wilkinesqe'

2 defensive midfielders in Carrington and Wedgebury would suggest this, and now with a forced change with Carrington being suspended I would hope to see Akil Wright brought in, or Leo Smith, 2 players that are more attack minded.

We need to have a real go at Woking today. They are no great shakes by all means, and a win and a decent attacking performance would go a long way to lifting the spirits

C'mon the Town!!
Old 26th August 2017, 09.11:10   #2-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Default Re: Attacking football?

Here here I'm sick of watching timid scared to have a go football.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 26th August 2017, 09.21:06   #3-0 (permalink)
User

Racecourse Spot: mrs

Would like to know when was the last time an opposing keeper won a MOTM award against us ????? We just don't hit the target
Old 26th August 2017, 09.29:52   #4-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given

We have hardly put a shot in until Reid arrived.

Agreed - most home matches have turned into borefests.

Carrington's red card could be a blessing in disguise - it's forced DK's hand regarding team selection - how will he cope without 'teacher's pet'.

We are at home - in recent years we have played two or even just one striker who has become isolated - just go 4 - 3 - 3 and entertain the crowd for a change.

If the highlight of the afternoon is more than the pre match chilli beef pie I will be amazed.
Old 26th August 2017, 09.34:49   #5-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand

I think we are all pretty clear really that the reason we aren't hitting the target, or even getting shots away at all, is we are simply not set up to attack, particularly from midfield. Everything is set up to play chess with the opposition, stroke the ball around sideways and backwards, maintain possession, etc etc. The trouble is, these tactics are only suited to gifted pro's at a much higher level. Let's face it we have some of the least gifted pro's in the country, any lower in their career and they're out of the game, it's part time football and get another career. Expecting them to maintain obsession then suddenly open up the opposition simply doesn't happen, it always end in a misplaced pass, and the much trumpeted possession is lost. I'm not saying we should go route one and lump the ball fifty yards all the times but there has to be a middle ground in all of this surely. Get the whole team playing on the front foot. Make sure they know it's attacking football we are playing. I think a lot of us long suffering Wrexham fans would maybe prefer to lose 3-2 than 1-0 (and of course we don't want to lose at all! But you know what I am saying. If we ARE to lose, let's go down fighting instead of farting). Goals wins games, goals brings the floating fans in. At the moment we are looking at another season where we neither entertain NOR achieve. This can't be right. Either it's (negative) tactics, or some of the players we have forgotten what they learned ten years ago as kids about getting forward and making things happen. All we are saying is get forward, play with more freedom, have a real go.
In the meantime, one more thing on my mind....if some fans don't rate Carrington, Rutherford, or whoever else, please think hard about not getting on their backs, and pulling them to bits on RP. They might be, erm, sh1te, but they're OUR sh1te! Get behind them. I'm not saying be soft on a shirker, but I don't see any shirkers on the pitch for us. They're to a man giving it their best, even if that best is 'limited'. Get behind them, release some of the nervousness and tension that sometimes spills onto the pitch from the stands.
COYR!

Last edited by WrexSi; 26th August 2017 at 09.41:26..
Old 26th August 2017, 09.42:59   #6-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Some very good points Wrexsi - well written and more direct than our current playing tactics.

Like so many others I feel the phrase 'it's still early days' should be mentioned - I really hope our players are better than we have seen so far and there is every chance they may prove to be.
Old 26th August 2017, 09.43:09   #7-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

If the player coming in is told to fill the same role as Carrington there will be very little difference; other than playing Carrington's role better or worst than him.

It depends on the instructions given by the management.
Old 26th August 2017, 09.47:18   #8-0 (permalink)

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlayDragon View Post
If the player coming in is told to fill the same role as Carrington there will be very little difference; other than playing Carrington's role better or worst than him.

It depends on the instructions given by the management.
very true
Old 26th August 2017, 09.51:41   #9-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand

I agree BillE and LlayDragon....some of what we have seen so far must go beyond which XI is out there each week, and is more about how we are set up.
It's is still early days for sure. We are a work in progress. But please Deano, let's at least set out with the intent to get forward, attack, and entertain.
He of all people should know. He scored twice v Woking in the past, and a 3-0 one season was all about getting forward.
I hope we see us attacking today. I know we would probably all settle for a season of dull chess-like 1-0 wins if that's what it took to go up! But let's face it it's not gonna happen. We are always liable to ship one at the back. And half the time that happens due to playing too deep in the first place, arseing around with the ball then suddenly getting caught out.
Attack truly is the best form of defence, particularly at this level where defences aren't the most gifted.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 06.59:04.