Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st October 2017, 19.17:09   #235-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend
Twitter: @

Default Re: Sutton reaction thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshian View Post
forget it, your talking to a brick wall
Whether he is right in his opinion that we will be out of the running is open for debate but he is right about us being very poor up front.

Its obvious that Holroyd would be an excellent striking partner alongside a decent number 9, a centre forward, someone that can hold the ball up and all that.

Reid, Massanka and even Boden could all play the number 10 role but none of them has got the attributes to play the CF position.

I know this drum has been banged so many times and counter argued that we can wait until January but I think we cannot afford the luxury of waiting.
In addition the target DK had lined up will still have the same agent so that means the same problem unless we pay the agents fee.

As it stands we will still struggle to score goals but will also be strong enough to keep them out as well, all in all not very exciting watching but hopefully enough to keep us in or near the top 7.
Old 1st October 2017, 19.34:49   #236-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road

5I don't get the desperation to get a striker in, I can see a more urgent need for an extra midfielder with our current squad. Reid will need replacing soon, so steps should be well advanced to keep a minimum of 4 first team strikers. Currently, Holriyd is lioking the part, but Reid, Massanka and Boden are under achieving when we know they are all capable, so it's DK's and CD's job to get at least 1 of them up to the level we need. Even if we break our budget to bring another striker in there is o guarantee we will get a striker who will do better. Yes it will be easy to bring in more muscle but even doing that won't guarantee we start putting teams to the sword.

I remember the early season doubts about Speight, Wright & Pogba but they came good after being given time.

Last edited by davewilli; 1st October 2017 at 19.39:27..
Old 1st October 2017, 19.45:23   #237-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Removed User
;2075632]I won’t bother with Birdy as he’s a troll with an opinion which extends no further than one simple proposition at a time and a black and white perspective which struggles with the idea that two apparently contradictory things might both be true at the same time.
And breathe.....

Watch out everyone if you don't agree with Mike your a troll thats a new one on me!!
Old 1st October 2017, 20.09:45   #238-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightown Brymbo Red View Post
The bare facts are that we have only scored 11 goals in 13 games.Which i am sure everyone can work out is less than a goal a game.If we continued with that percentage throughout the season we would end up with about 39 .goals. The lowest total of goals a promoted side has had over the 6 years is 72(cambridge).The average for promoted sides is over 80
That is a soul destroying stat to be fair. It says that it is 99% nailed on that we will not be promoted.
Old 1st October 2017, 20.19:53   #239-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

I am not too worried right now. We have started to look like the team in general is getting better, and more chances are being created. We missed some good chances yesterday but on other days we will score them. I expect us to get better.
Old 1st October 2017, 20.32:53   #240-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
;2075632]I won’t bother with Birdy as he’s a troll with an opinion which extends no further than one simple proposition at a time and a black and white perspective which struggles with the idea that two apparently contradictory things might both be true at the same time.

I wholly agree with the idea that one different striker could (but not would, nothing is that certain) make a difference but I also posted pre-season that the obsession with so-called “natural” goal scorers or “big men” or a “20 goals a season” player was the wrong thing to look at. The teams who go up do sometimes score more goals than we currently are but the load is spread. Football fans live in this weird world with an excess of stats but generally not really understanding the basics of them.

So, yes, on average, champions score x goals but averages by definition must mean some teams did it with a score below the average. In fact, the way averages work is that most teams have done it with a below average score; a smaller number will have significantly exceeded it and most will have come nowhere near the final average. So, if we’re scoring below the average you can literally take little of any great certainty from that because it’s what most teams who go up have done. All you can actually say for certain is that if we do go up we’ll have lowered the average next time someone looks at it.

It’s why fans are often bewildered when their free scoring teams don’t go up. You can almost hear them bleating about how they scored way more than the average needed for promotion. Our 98 point season is a near classic example.

What we actually need right now is more goals from midfield. Amusingly, that brings up back nicely to my idea that our distribution from the back to midfield is as significant issue as a striker.

Do we need a striker? Yes. Absolutely. This team is far from complete. Do we need them right now? The table suggests not and so do the stats. over a very long period.

Keates has delivered the best January transfer window in my recall for us and a pre-season plan which few of us had any issue with. If he can bring in 1 midfielder and 1 striker before Christmas then brilliant. If not then I’d be confident January will be full of soecial treats. Even then I think there’s a string chance we’re doing more than enough to be top 7. Any RP poster claiming that we MUST score x goals to achieve promotion simply doesn’t understand the stats.

A world in which RP posters try to portray me... ME of all people.. as a happy clapper... is definitely one in which people need to go take a look at their reactions and motives when things are going pretty well.

We need more goals full stop from our front men and midfield. However if we look at the number of career league goals of our senior midfield player we will see that we don't have a midfield that will contribute many goals. In 1167 starts between them they have managed

Carrington 14
Rutherford 17
Wedgebury 4
Mackreth 17
Kelly 28

Interestingly Carrington and Wedgebury are the 2 lowest scorers of the 5 indicating they don't get forward into goal scoring positions enough. This backs up my opinion that our midfield 2, especially when they both play, sits far too deep.
Posted via mobile theme

Last edited by blackbrookred; 1st October 2017 at 20.37:00..
Old 1st October 2017, 21.14:31   #241-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
;2075654]Nope, fundamental failure to grasp the meaning of the stat. To then use 99% is laughable. Just kill me if my soul is ever near being destroyed when we’re 8 unbeaten and 2 points off top after more than 1/4 of the season has gone.

I am 99% certain you’re being a little OTT.
They have been saying since the start that we will be out of the running. With 15 minutes to go yesterday we were top of the league.
Old 1st October 2017, 23.23:00   #242-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given

Haven't read the earlier posts and wasn't at Saturday's game. My mate on the terrace thought that Mackreth could have been allowed to cross the ball with two Wrexham attackers lurking in the visitors' penalty area. Keates however, instructed him to take the ball to the corner flag where he duly lost it. Sutton then apparently broke away and scored their superb equaliser. If this is true then Wrexham need to be braver and bolder with a view to crushing the opposition. On the credit side, only 7 goals conceded in the context of no less than four goalkeepers having to be used so early in the season. I would now sign Jordan Archer, 6'3'' striker from Stourbridge before league clubs come in for him. He certainly looks the part.
Old 2nd October 2017, 05.12:00   #243-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Most team take the ball in the corner in that position.if Mackreth had lost possession by crossing the ball he would have been called naive. Keates has said we should have had a corner. If given we would have used up more time and seen out game. Agree we do not score enough and this needs sorting but I readon't some post and start thinking we are in Chester's league position.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 17.16:13.