Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th June 2019, 20.38:29   #73-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Vote Rockin' Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
I presume we are the robins because play in red. Simple origins but for you that's not enough of a reason it's not unique it doesn't have meaning.

However, the fact that WE are the robins is the things that gives it meaning over time. The fact that Fans identified with that is the significance.

Now if you dont think we should go back then that one thing but to say the nickname is dumbass and doesn't have meaning or whatever is absurd.
Posted via mobile theme
We’re the Robins after being named after a director called Robinson - one version of the tale at least that took hold. You don’t have to know this but probably ought to if you’re going to argue the toss about meaning.
Old 13th June 2019, 20.44:27   #74-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale stand, town end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Shabadoo View Post
Well the Robins name has more meaning than your insinuation that I’m “modern” with whatever that entails (like not being offended by girlies playing football presumably), I’ll give you that. Essentially, you’re prepared to inconvenience the club by giving this name more meaning than it provides it a practical sense. Your choice I suppose.
I'm not offended by it it's just the standard of it in relation to the coverage it gets is just a joke.

Female athletics, tennis and swimming is fantastic to watch.

Last edited by dixienormous; 13th June 2019 at 20.46:28..
Old 13th June 2019, 20.45:30   #75-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
We’re the Robins after being named after a director called Robinson - one version of the tale at least that took hold. You don’t have to know this but probably ought to if you’re going to argue the toss about meaning.
History often starts with great acts or tall tales, merged with the mist of the past.

Can you tell us the tale of how 'the dragons' name came about
Old 13th June 2019, 20.51:21   #76-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
History often starts with great acts or tall tales, merged with the mist of the past.

Can you tell us the tale of how 'the dragons' name came about
If you’d read the previous posts you’d know it isn’t me banging on about the Eastern mysticism of the dragon. It’s the upholders of history doing that with the robin.
Old 13th June 2019, 21.02:34   #77-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Quote:
If you’d read the previous posts you’d know it isn’t me banging on about the Eastern mysticism of the dragon. It’s the upholders of history doing that with the robin.
From the archives... Latest News

12/06/2001 Dragons change announced

Wrexham Association Football Club's official web site today carries an official press release announcing the club's change of nickname from The Robins to The Red Dragons.

It states:

Dragon Set To Fire New Life into Racecourse!

The Red Dragons! That's the new nickname of Wrexham AFC that we all need to get used to over the coming weeks. The change, designed to enhance the marketing capabilities of the club, whilst also trading in more on their Welsh identity brings to an end the Robins' reign on the Racecourse which has been apparent since then secretary Ted Robinson was at the club.

This obviously brings to an end Rockin' Robins stay at the club, along with wife Tina Turfit and son Robin-son, but fear not the change in nickname also means we get a new mascot in the form of Wrex the Dragon. Wrex is the loveable rogue with fire in his belly who wants to typify the never say die attitude within the club.

Commercial Manager Christian Smith, who has spearheaded the change, stated that "everyone at the Racecourse is very excited that the Club will be changing its nickname to the Red Dragons at the start of next season. It is part of an overall profile building exercise aimed at improving the image of Wrexham AFC and making the Club more appealing to more people." It is also hoped that it will help increase revenue for the club as a result of trading more on the Welsh identity.

Having said this there are obviously going to be some people who don't see the need for such changes, a point on which Christian is keen to rectify. "While tradition and traditional values should never be totally overlooked, Wrexham Football Club is entering a period in its history when changes need to happen with progress both on and off the field of play. By developing the imagery to incorporate a more Welsh feel, we hope that the Club will become more appealing to the wider community of North Wales."

The future certainly looks bright for the club with these new ideas coming to fruition along with others being looked into all of the time.

"designed to enhance the marketing capabilities of the club" and "help increase revenue for the club as a result of trading more on the Welsh identity"

That was 2001 as we were "entering a period in its history when changes need to happen with progress both on and off the field of play", is the curse of the dragon real?!

I just wonder how high a resolution that said the following would fly...

- Sack off the Robins
- We are a Welsh club so lets use a dragon to cash in

Also, to remake a point from last time, in 2013 the club moved from Wrexham FC to Wrexham AFC

http://wst.org.uk/www3/index.php/doc...-agm-pack/file page 13.

No mention of time and expense better spent elsewhere then, and Board took a 'neutral position'.

Bearing in mind that was a change on the badge as well etc etc

We were Vincent Tan'ed back in 2001 and people have got used to it
Old 13th June 2019, 21.19:00   #78-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

I won’t quote all that.

If it had never happened and was proposed now, it wouldn’t fly at all and there would probably be no need to get it to fly. In 2001 the club’s marketing consisted of updating the match board and that was it, so a gimmick made more sense to them than doing real work. The question is what value you get in 2019, after a period of actually running the club as a business, what you get from bringing back a brand that means nothing to the people it’s really aimed at - children. The club’s statement shows they get this.

The problem with your average football historian is that they know the past but don’t evaluate it, they just cling to it. An actual historian, will weigh it up, reject bits, re-evaluate others and point it at a new audience. Coming down from my high horse what about what it means for me in real terms, telling my daughter that we binned off the thing she likes for something I remember in soft focus. We’ve had enough of that on more meaningful issues than this that’s for sure.
Old 13th June 2019, 21.30:08   #79-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

The nickname / mascot etc is not just for the kids, it is for the big kids too.

Re-reading the reasoning crystallises my original point “By developing the imagery to incorporate a more Welsh feel, we hope that the Club will become more appealing to the wider community of North Wales.”

Non local bloke comes in as a marketing genius, whack a dragon on it and they will lap it up was the strategy.

Are we now more appealing to North Wales as people up the coast love a dragon, coz all the welshies love that and rugby boyo *pops a leek hat on starts singing 'that really long town name' on demand*
Old 13th June 2019, 21.41:22   #80-0 (permalink)
Legend & True Fan

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

FFS just have both then we can all worry about more important things like actually fielding a team of footballers.
Old 13th June 2019, 21.50:08   #81-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

This is one of the piss takes of fan involvement, a crazy January where nobody owns up to what went on balls too asking for clarity we want a mascot change.

Ridiculous.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 09.34:21.