Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26th October 2023, 06.08:44   #1-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Tactics

It's clear to me that many fans are struggling with our tactics and how we set up to gain as many points as possible from 46 games. Let's be clear here, that's Parky's number 1 priority. The entertainment and sexy football comes a poor second. He's constantly 3 consecutive defeats from the sack. That's the bottom line

We are set up to allow other teams the ball in non dangerous areas. This is totally at odds with how Notts play for example who's aim it is to dominate with 70%+ possession which requires incredible fitness, concentration and comes with a high degree of risk if you are caught in possession.

We are quite content to conserve energy and play a lower risk waiting game, play percentages, wait for mistakes to happen and strike quickly, deliver set piece accuracy and generally stay in the game.

Depending on the situation, we then engage our own version of the South African Rugby team "bomb squad" where we aim to completely overwhelm the opposition in the final 15 minutes when bodies and minds are tiring

These tactics have delivered a probable never to be beaten 111 point title win and 3rd place after a third of the season in League Two with just 2 defeats in 15.

I think many fans are struggling to accept our tactics, preferring the Notts way but that will never be Parky and who's to say he's wrong as he eventually overcame Luke Williams over 46 games. Football is a 90+ minute game of chess in many ways and there's many ways to win. I just wish fans could be a little more patient and look at the bigger picture. We are there to be entertained but it will always be results first and Parky isn't bad at delivering them

Enjoy the game
Old 26th October 2023, 06.12:22   #2-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Bamfords/excutive.

Default Re: Tactics

Good post and nice and positive for so nearly in the morning.
Old 26th October 2023, 06.43:58   #3-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: PG7

A good analysis of Parky’s tactics. I’ve always considered myself someone who enjoys passing football and like Wrexham to play an attractive style, however I’m not so blind that I can’t see it when another way of playing is incredibly effective. I can’t recall a more dangerous Wrexham team than this one - we score more goals, win more games and always give 100% until the end of every game and I don’t think you can ask for any more than that. Yes we are very direct, but the entertainment we’ve had at the racecourse over the last few seasons is pretty much unparalleled. Long may it continue and I hope Parky stays for a good while yet.
Old 26th October 2023, 06.50:00   #4-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand

Good post BOTK.

I’m happy with PP, it’s a results business, and we are getting points when appearing not to play good football. There’s method behind it. As you say. With tiring out the opposition then going for it late-on.

The only bit I’m not entirely comfortable with is the allowing them the ball in non critical areas. We do seem to do more than our fair share of standing off players, not marking up, not getting in their faces…. Most worryingly on the wings too, we stand back and don’t cut the supply. It’s a bit odd cos playing the percentage game the more crosses we allow them to put in, unchallenged, the more chances they got of spawning a goal against us.

As you say though, otherwise ok, even though we aren’t as entertaining as we once were.
Old 26th October 2023, 07.08:08   #5-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Surely this is strategy rather than tactics.

But both are just means to an end.

It will be an interesting competition to see which camp come out top.
Old 26th October 2023, 08.07:22   #6-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: GUS

I think most people understand our tactics. If we had scored that first goal after 60 minutes then everything would have worked out fine. When we scored so early it was an opportunity for us to put that extra player into the midfield and push for a crucial second. They're all only opinions and I'm sure everyone is more than happy with how we're going
Old 26th October 2023, 08.17:11   #7-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: MRS

We are all living the dream at the moment and long may it continue and as long as we are winning games I don’t care how we do it! UTST
Old 26th October 2023, 08.49:51   #8-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Excellent post BOTK . This is exactly what we're doing & very successfully .

What baffles me at times is the blames statements we see from some about 'parkyball' - we just hit long balls forward & we never keep the ball ..... neither of which is true . At tomes we're very effective at keeping the ball . The likes of Evans & O'Conner have both helped with that - people just have to be patient with this , when we keep the ball it doesn't matter if we go forwards, backwards , or sideways , as long as we keep the ball - we're looking to move the opposition as much as the ball and when eventually they make a mistake in their movement , that's when we exploit it , until then , we just have to be patient .

Same with the long balls , I think this is a misconception - we generally look to move the ball left and right and ultimately look to get one of the WBs in or have Lee drop back and open up the back line - we do hit long balls at times, of course we do , every team does ( even Notts County ) but we're certainly not a long ball side .

... same with the ' I wish we would 't play 5 at the back ' thing we har often - we don't play 5 at the back - we play 3 , the wingback are generally well in advance of the back 3 so in effect we play 5 in midfield - we only see 5 at the back when we're really under the pump and struggling to get forward - which actually, isn't that often ...

it's a results game as you say , but also in terms of entertainment , I can't recall a more entertaining time at the racecourse for decades & those last 20 minutes in most games are absolutely thrilling ...

( the rugby analogy is spot on by the way - the best teams have been doing it for years - wear people down for 60 minutes or so , then open up and kill them in the last 20/30 )
Old 26th October 2023, 09.03:19   #9-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back of the Kop View Post
It's clear to me that many fans are struggling with our tactics and how we set up to gain as many points as possible from 46 games. Let's be clear here, that's Parky's number 1 priority. The entertainment and sexy football comes a poor second. He's constantly 3 consecutive defeats from the sack. That's the bottom line

We are set up to allow other teams the ball in non dangerous areas. This is totally at odds with how Notts play for example who's aim it is to dominate with 70%+ possession which requires incredible fitness, concentration and comes with a high degree of risk if you are caught in possession.

We are quite content to conserve energy and play a lower risk waiting game, play percentages, wait for mistakes to happen and strike quickly, deliver set piece accuracy and generally stay in the game.

Depending on the situation, we then engage our own version of the South African Rugby team "bomb squad" where we aim to completely overwhelm the opposition in the final 15 minutes when bodies and minds are tiring

These tactics have delivered a probable never to be beaten 111 point title win and 3rd place after a third of the season in League Two with just 2 defeats in 15.

I think many fans are struggling to accept our tactics, preferring the Notts way but that will never be Parky and who's to say he's wrong as he eventually overcame Luke Williams over 46 games. Football is a 90+ minute game of chess in many ways and there's many ways to win. I just wish fans could be a little more patient and look at the bigger picture. We are there to be entertained but it will always be results first and Parky isn't bad at delivering them

Enjoy the game
Some fair points, but requiring 20 yard screamers every game to get us out the crap surely can't be part of the plan as well.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.12:09.