Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th January 2024, 22.11:04   #1-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Wrexrent
Twitter: @

Default Men in blazers

Really enjoyed this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKlxJuWw1NA
My Nain was Welsh speaking from Harlech, and told me about "Welsh not", she was hit with a cane for speaking Welsh in school, which i guess would have been 1890-1900, she died just short of her 100th birthday.

Anyone else have stories about that?

I remember when the national anthem was hummed at Cae Ras by a lot of people in the 1980's. Love the fact that Welsh language revival, has resulted in the Anthem and Yma o Hyd etc is now belted out!

I come from a Welsh speaking family and am gutted i am not fluent in Welsh, but I was that generation when it wasn't pushed and we moved away from the area, hence, I am in the dipyn bach gang.

How many fluent Welsh speakers on here?
Old 19th January 2024, 23.00:01   #2-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Hays Travel Stand

Default Re: Men in blazers

Iaith gyntaf.First language Welsh speaker.
Old 20th January 2024, 04.06:21   #3-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: none given

My first language is Welsh, and English was only spoken at home when we had non Welsh-speaking visitors on quite rare occasions. I went to "Yr Ysgol Gymraeg" which was on Park Avenue, then to Grove Park where I had to study in English for the first time.

Family and friends always called our ground Y Cae Ras, but even so most of the cheering was in English.

My mum was born in 1925, and the Welsh Not was still used at her school, a fact that she resented throughout her life.

Though I have been away from Wales for 11 years, I still speak in Welsh to family there, and to some Welsh friends here in Thailand. Since the publicity that the club has gained in the recent past, I'm often asked about the Wrecsam shirts I wear by people who might have scorned that a few years ago, but now show genuine interest in the club's progress as well as the increased awareness of our language.

Byddai'n braf cael ysgrifennu hyn i gyd yng Nghymraeg, ond mae'n bwysig i'n cefnogwyr di-Gymraeg ddeallt na'd yw'r iaith yn marw ac y bydd enwogrwydd y clwb yn cadarnhau cryfder ein iaith am y dyfodol.

Last edited by The Only Way Is Up; 20th January 2024 at 04.07:24..
Old 20th January 2024, 04.44:48   #4-0 (permalink)
PG7
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Way Is Up View Post
My first language is Welsh, and English was only spoken at home when we had non Welsh-speaking visitors on quite rare occasions. I went to "Yr Ysgol Gymraeg" which was on Park Avenue, then to Grove Park where I had to study in English for the first time.

Family and friends always called our ground Y Cae Ras, but even so most of the cheering was in English.

My mum was born in 1925, and the Welsh Not was still used at her school, a fact that she resented throughout her life.

Though I have been away from Wales for 11 years, I still speak in Welsh to family there, and to some Welsh friends here in Thailand. Since the publicity that the club has gained in the recent past, I'm often asked about the Wrecsam shirts I wear by people who might have scorned that a few years ago, but now show genuine interest in the club's progress as well as the increased awareness of our language.

Byddai'n braf cael ysgrifennu hyn i gyd yng Nghymraeg, ond mae'n bwysig i'n cefnogwyr di-Gymraeg ddeallt na'd yw'r iaith yn marw ac y bydd enwogrwydd y clwb yn cadarnhau cryfder ein iaith am y dyfodol.
Amazing. Don't tell Mr Kippling
Old 20th January 2024, 06.57:59   #5-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Three of my grandparents were first language Welsh speakers and always preferred speaking Welsh. My Dad couldn’t speak English until he went to school in Denbigh. At secondary school he has said he got into trouble for speaking Welsh. I’ve tried to learn it and went to a night school in it run by a Welsh speaking Uni lecturer (for free) in Cambridge with my mate Anglian Red.

Personally I love hearing Welsh spoken and announcements in Welsh at our games for all these reasons. I’m not remotely fluent but the language is a real source of pride and what sets us apart from other clubs.
Old 20th January 2024, 07.24:52   #6-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Is the number of Welsh speakers on this thread dawning on Mr Kipling yet? The language isn't as minority as he seems to think. The fan base is made up of lots of first language speakers, lots who did or are attending Welsh language schools. lots of learners such as myself and lots who appreciate the history and culture of the language.
Old 20th January 2024, 09.55:08   #7-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

My mum’s first language was Welsh until about seven, coming from Holyhead, now she doesn’t speak a word of it. My wife has been learning Welsh for about five years now and is really good at it. Think she’s only doing it to put me to shame. Her first language is Polish but the grammar has similarities, as does many of the words. Llew is Welsh for lion, Lew is Polish for lion.

Btw, loving Men In Blazers!

Last edited by ActonRed; 20th January 2024 at 09.57:21..
Old 20th January 2024, 11.37:35   #8-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Rd

Fortunate to have been raised in a first language home in a rural area where virtually everyone spoke Welsh-much different there now unfortunately. I made sure both my lads spoke Welsh and hope instilled a sense of pride in their language and culture. I know many non Welsh speakers who do not speak the language due to a variety of reasons but who fully support it and believe it to be extremely important to the Welsh identity. Lastly, I do not believe myself to Be more “Welsh “ than none Welsh speakers, but that does not stop me from being proud and passionate about yr iaith Gymraeg. I love hearing Welsh used by the announcers and hearing Welsh around the Cae Rās of which there is plenty, and I also love hearing Hźn Wlad fy Nhadau/Yma o Hyd being sung as well. I’m sure all these detractors of YOH weren’t slating it when Dafydd Iwan was belting it out before the world cup qualifiers in Cardiff!

Last edited by Glyn Army; 20th January 2024 at 11.38:45..
Old 20th January 2024, 12.38:50   #9-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale

Iaith gyntaf i minnau hefyd.

Great to read posts with such pride towards our language.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 03.18:17.