Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2nd February 2024, 16.26:07   #28-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Kop, when it was open. Now my Couch
Twitter: @

Default Re: Transfer Window rated out of 10

Everyone has already commented (very well) on the key issues, so no need for me to repeat.
On the evidence so far I'd rate a 7 out of 10.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating of course, so if we get promoted then 7/10 stands, if we are champions then make that 10/10.
And if we've managed our finances such that we can recruit in the summer to mount a credible promotion attempt in league 1, then it will be 11/10!
Of course, if it all goes t!ts up then we'd have to move onto negative numbers
Old 2nd February 2024, 21.31:42   #29-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

6.5/10 - extended Lee and Mullin, Arthur here until the summer, got rid of dead wood (Macca and Bryce, loaned Waters and Bicks).

Would rate it higher but reserving judgement on the two new lads until we get through February.

In my opinion, release Tunni and Hayden. Pay up Davies' contract because he's not cut out for L1 and probably not even L2 - or try to loan him out and release in 2025.

Young, as much as I love him, will not be with us, but at least he'll get a promotional medal. Good servant to the club even before the takeover, but he needs regular playtime at a mid-table club like Grimsby or hell, even a southern non-league club like Torquay, Yeovil or similar (assuming both get promoted back to NL - Yeovil are on track, Torquay is bottom of the playoff spots).

He's from Plymouth (and played in Argyle's academy and senior team) so he can't really go back there. Probably wouldn't go to Exeter either as they're a big rival to Argyle and they're not going down to L2 anytime soon either

Keep Lainton as a coach if he wants to stay, maybe keep Howard just in case - always good to have a backup keeper and frankly he's not that bad - the defense (Tozer I'm looking at you) let him down just like they let Arthur down several times - not just at Blackburn
Old 2nd February 2024, 23.00:10   #30-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS (In my heart)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
So we have brought in two signings and missed out on Lindsey due to Rotherham being a bit greedy with wanting the extra 100k, even though he will be able to leave for free at the end of the season.

I saw a post on twitter asking fans to rate our transfer window out of 10, and to be honest with you I put a 6 out of 10, thinking yes, the two lads that have come in do strengthen us, but I was really hoping for a fast striker and either a solid league one centre half or defensive midfielder.

Fans from other clubs have said Bolton is a fantastic signing, as he is a class player, he also adds a lot of pace to the team, but saying that, he will play right wing back, so your taking pace out of the side with Barnett.

Marriott is the other one to look at. I know we wanted a striker with height and pace to play up front with Mullin, but I think Parkinson has been a bit clever with this one. If Mullin gets injured or suspended, who did we have to take him place. Out of our current strikers I would say Bickerstaff is the only one really than could play that role, and that responsibility is way too much to put on Bickerstaff at this point in his career. Now we have Marriott, who has played in the Championship for years and is a proven goal scorer.

Parkinson has filled in the holes that we desperately needed to fill. It was never about replacing what we have, it was about ensuring the squad is strong enough to keep up the promotion push, and now, all positions are covered with quality.

The big thing though, and I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere before, but none of these signing have broken our transfer record, because if they had, then it would be reported as a transfer record signing, like Olly Palmer signing was. This mean both signings were under 300k each, and when you think, we were going to pay 500k for Armstrong, then we now have two quality players in for a sum not far away of what we nearly paid for one in the last transfer window. Is Harvey looking after our money now, so we can really push for promotion again next season? It does look that way to me.

At the end of the season we will see quite a lot of players who are out of contract leave. We already know the quality players that will be available on frees at the end of the season, and I can see Parkinson working on that and taking advantage of that too. We are not talking about players who are being released, we are talking about players who are not wanting to stay at their current club, which is a huge difference to what we are used too.

I do feel sorry on Bryce leaving, he has had some awful luck with injuries since joining and I hope he goes somewhere and kick on, as the lad has a lot of ability, its just a shame he can’t stay fit. Macca leaving too, he has been decent since coming here, again a player who didn’t play in his natural position for us, filling in everywhere, and to be honest, this is not a dig at him at all, but I’m glad now that he is no longer an option for Parky to play at left back.

Bickerstaff going to Accrington Stanley on loan is just brilliant. I hope he can go there and score some goals, and if that happens, we may have a player here that will be fighting for a first team place next season.

So, looking at it practically, Phil Parkinson is showing he believes in the players he has in his squad, and the two additions have just strengthened the squad depth. Harvey is also saving the budget for the attack on League One next season, so with all this in mind, and having time to look at the bigger picture, my original 6 out of 10 is now probably an 8 out of 10. Lindsey would have taken that up to a 9, but we are second in the league, and I’m sure we have more than enough to finish in the top 3 this season. In Parky we trust!
Good assessment can’t disagree and agree on the 8/10 mark
Promotion is ours to loose, if we can start to get a couple of away wins it’s definitely on
Easter matches will give us a big indication of what’s going to happen.
Old 3rd February 2024, 00.49:58   #31-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: YouTube

If this is the single year in League Two it cannot be less than a 10, because that's the real goal.
Old 3rd February 2024, 02.44:03   #32-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Away stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by windjc View Post
Ours was the best. Point still stands.
How do you quantify that? Every team has different requirements from the window so it's not really possible to say that one is clearly better than another.

You needed to add some quality and did that but I still think you missed a trick not signing some pace for your back 3.

We brought Olaofe, Knoyle and Stretton in during our first January window in L2 which was when we also needed to inject some more quality. This time it was more about adding the depth to cover any more injuries. We already have more than enough quality if a decent proportion are fit. We've brought 6 in if you include recalling Connor Lemonheigh-Evans. With the signings we made we're in a better position than we were at the start of January and we'll have lots of room to add L1 quality in the summer (providing we get there).

You had a good window for you and we had a good window for us. To say you had the best before either of your signings have kicked a ball in a Wrexham shirt is frankly a bit bizarre.
Old 3rd February 2024, 03.16:30   #33-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcounty1883 View Post
How do you quantify that?
We brought in more long term quality talent. That's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcounty1883 View Post
You needed to add some quality and did that but I still think you missed a trick not signing some pace for your back 3.
Tozer, Tunnicliffe, and Hayden - all contracts up in the summer. Along with 3 goalkeepers. We can bring in plenty of speed in the summer. Today, we increased our speed on the team and in a position of need in RWB and we added L1 firepower to our attack, someone who can cause problems in front of goal - something we've been missing.

Last edited by windjc; 3rd February 2024 at 03.22:11..
Old 3rd February 2024, 03.57:10   #34-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by windjc View Post
We brought in more long term quality talent. That's my opinion.
The proof of the pudding will be who finishes top after 46 games. We're 5 points behind with a game in hand so we're very handily placed but let's take nothing for granted.

We'll know how successful this window has been on April 27th
Old 3rd February 2024, 05.24:55   #35-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Just been trying to find Fleetwood fans views on Jack Marriot and not found much, what does come across though is that he wasn't happy at Fleetwood and wanted to leave in the summer, Oxford and ourselves failed to sign him then, as they were asking more than we valued him. So this season has been playing while he's wanted to leave, Waters signed for us after we couldn't get Marriot it would seem.
Old 3rd February 2024, 05.38:36   #36-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand

I wont judge the 2 new guys until I have seen them play at least 5 games. I remember saying in the late 70’s - “who the hell is Bobby Shinton!”
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 07.08:42.