Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th March 2024, 21.02:10   #37-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Mold Roa
Twitter: @

Default Re: 8 games left, how do we finish the job

On Evans. I think he's a top class player but I'm still not sure he is the type of midfielder to sit in front of a back 3. He plays a bit like a quarter back and sits just in front of them and tries to dictate the play. We then have 3 centre halves permanently behind the ball as he tries to create. Would love to see a change in system but it you can bet we won't see it.
Old 18th March 2024, 00.34:27   #38-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: Someday

I just roll my eyes at the entitlement of some who think we should be blowing out teams 5-nil every time and blame it on Parkinson's 'tactics' or system... the very same tactics and system that have us in an automatic promotion place right now in our very first year back in the Football League after being gone for 15 years.

How do we finish the job? We don't panic for starters. In March so far, we've gone 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss. We've scored 7 goals and conceded just 2. Yes, we should have done better with Harrogate (even though they played a hell of a game against us) and Tranmere (they are a much better squad than they were when we faced them earlier in the season) but we're not playing the likes of Woking, Boreham Wood, or Maidenhead anymore. There are no gimme games in League Two.

I wouldn't mess with the system. We finally have a settled back three in Max, EOC, and Boyle. Once McClean comes back, he should go back into midfield with Cannon and Lee with Mendy and Barnett... even though I wouldn't mind Bolton getting a start... on the wings.

Mullin and Palmer up front with Fletcher and Marriot/Dalby coming off the bench.

I understand that opinions are opinions and we're all entitled to one. But the fact of the matter is this: we are where we wanted to be... where we hoped we would be when the season started. We have a good chance to move up to League One if we hold our nerve. It all starts on Saturday. A win and we're one step closer.

Last edited by Midwest Express; 18th March 2024 at 00.39:15..
Old 18th March 2024, 01.24:33   #39-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Express View Post
I just roll my eyes at the entitlement of some who think we should be blowing out teams 5-nil every time and blame it on Parkinson's 'tactics' or system... the very same tactics and system that have us in an automatic promotion place right now in our very first year back in the Football League after being gone for 15 years.

How do we finish the job? We don't panic for starters. In March so far, we've gone 2 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss. We've scored 7 goals and conceded just 2. Yes, we should have done better with Harrogate (even though they played a hell of a game against us) and Tranmere (they are a much better squad than they were when we faced them earlier in the season) but we're not playing the likes of Woking, Boreham Wood, or Maidenhead anymore. There are no gimme games in League Two.

I wouldn't mess with the system. We finally have a settled back three in Max, EOC, and Boyle. Once McClean comes back, he should go back into midfield with Cannon and Lee with Mendy and Barnett... even though I wouldn't mind Bolton getting a start... on the wings.

Mullin and Palmer up front with Fletcher and Marriot/Dalby coming off the bench.

I understand that opinions are opinions and we're all entitled to one. But the fact of the matter is this: we are where we wanted to be... where we hoped we would be when the season started. We have a good chance to move up to League One if we hold our nerve. It all starts on Saturday. A win and we're one step closer.
Some sensible points for sure, sadly have seen this story before….its starts with a playoff birth followed by an exit in said playoffs.
Old 18th March 2024, 01.27:33   #40-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelor Minute View Post
Management wise they probably do in all fairness. I'm now of the opinion that most clubs in this league would have considerably more points than we do currently if they'd had our squad at their disposal.

I don't dislike Parkinson and I think he is capable of great things, but it's those tiny flaws like stubbornness and lack of self reflection that are costing us this season and will go on costing us in my opinion.

Dalby and Davies shouldn't be on the pitch unless we're 5-0 up, then fair enough, give them a run out. He never ceases to find an excuse to put Dalby on when we have far better options though. He seems to get something in his head and like an OCD sufferer he can't get away from it.

We all know he won't budge on his usual formation unless he's desperate. Start with a different formation once in a while but he won't. Why is he so stubborn?

Surely he has to take some of the blame for our shocking performances this season. People will remind me that we're still 3rd in the league, but the point is, we're 3rd in the league in spite of Parkinson in many ways, not because of him.

I can tell you what system most clubs in this league conform to after watching them play for 30 minutes, but after watching every match we've played in full this season I still don't know what our system is, other than "give the lads up top some scraps to chase".
Very fair comments here as well. I would change him out in the summer.
Old 18th March 2024, 07.21:57   #41-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_holt_dragon View Post
Do our promotion rivals have more strength in depth?
I would say Mansfield and Stockport do. If Stockport hadn't had so many injuries i think they would be top of the league.
Old 18th March 2024, 07.42:35   #42-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Express View Post

“Don’t panic, Mr Mainwaring!” is good advice, and PP is here until the end of the season. What will or should happen after this is open to discussion, but for the future.

On current trend, we will probably drop into the POs. We therefore somehow need to reverse that trend. Currently, the critical issue is scoring more goals. That is the challenge for all in the management and squad.

The rest is mostly OK. Alas it’s impossible to totally cut out silly mistakes, so we need to score 2 or more goals per game and, I think, win 5 of the remaining 8. If we can beat Grimsby I think we’ll be OK. However, lose there and we become reliant on 2 from Stockport, MK Dons or Crewe blowing up.

Over to PP to either get more out of his preferred starters or be a bit more radical. He won’t do the latter, so it must be the former. Wrexham are used to nail-biting finishes, plus it’s good for TV. All will become clear very soon, just hope Lady Luck gets back from her hols pdq!
Old 18th March 2024, 08.27:09   #43-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Dragon View Post
“Don’t panic, Mr Mainwaring!” is good advice, and PP is here until the end of the season. What will or should happen after this is open to discussion, but for the future.

On current trend, we will probably drop into the POs. We therefore somehow need to reverse that trend. Currently, the critical issue is scoring more goals. That is the challenge for all in the management and squad.

The rest is mostly OK. Alas it’s impossible to totally cut out silly mistakes, so we need to score 2 or more goals per game and, I think, win 5 of the remaining 8. If we can beat Grimsby I think we’ll be OK. However, lose there and we become reliant on 2 from Stockport, MK Dons or Crewe blowing up.

Over to PP to either get more out of his preferred starters or be a bit more radical. He won’t do the latter, so it must be the former. Wrexham are used to nail-biting finishes, plus it’s good for TV. All will become clear very soon, just hope Lady Luck gets back from her hols pdq!
On current form we'd lose out in the play-offs so we need the players to dig deep for a final promotion push. Back-to-back is there for the taking.

We've had a run of Tue / Sat fixtures of late and the players look goosed at times. 100% focus required for Grimsby where we have to go to win the game following 1 from 6 at home.

Grimsby is now sold out for Wrexham fans so the players will have the backing.
Old 18th March 2024, 08.54:09   #44-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Yale/Wrexham Lager Stand Centre Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexy View Post
On current form we'd lose out in the play-offs so we need the players to dig deep for a final promotion push. Back-to-back is there for the taking.

We've had a run of Tue / Sat fixtures of late and the players look goosed at times. 100% focus required for Grimsby where we have to go to win the game following 1 from 6 at home.

Grimsby is now sold out for Wrexham fans so the players will have the backing.
The POs are always a lottery and they always suit teams who are on a positive run, whereas we always seem to be physically and mentally worn out when we partake.

Top 3 or wing and a prayer for me!
Old 18th March 2024, 09.02:45   #45-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Dragon View Post
The POs are always a lottery and they always suit teams who are on a positive run, whereas we always seem to be physically and mentally worn out when we partake.

Top 3 or wing and a prayer for me!
Top 3 or bust. A few weeks ago I thought we were destined for 4th. Despite blowing hot & cold recently we're somehow in 3rd with Mansfield, Crewe and Stockport still to come. Great position.

Crawley Town v Stockport County tonight as well. That won't be easy for them.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.54:23.