Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Three Episode Threads: S3E1 Welcome To EFL / S3E2 Goals / Notts Again / Risky Business / Temporary ...

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th August 2017, 10.37:57   #55-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale stand, town end
Twitter: @

Default Re: Crying out for a creative midfielder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
I want results over entertainment. Without a shadow of doubt. It's as if you've never watched Wrexham/lower or non league football before.

Most fans are with Keates but I'm not wholly surprised you're not.

Mills tried an attractive brand of football...for about 2 months. That didn't end so well.

I suggest once we've built some momentum and confidence, the football will be much better.
I hope you're right.

I just like one of the two central midfielders to be able to possibly play a ball in behind or relaese one of our wide players? How are we going to create anything when both are sitting deep. This might improve when the ball sticks upfront.
Old 16th August 2017, 10.40:05   #56-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienormous View Post
You're talking bollocks again Alan. My gripe is the fact we play with two defensive midfielders at home, away from home I get it. Most fans feel exactly the same. You get this right?

My point about Kelly was I think he might be too lightweight and might go missing in a tackle, if we played him in the middle in 4-4-2.
I'm mindful to agree that Kelly would not be suited centrally in a 4-4-2 and neither is Carrington. We could do with a carbon copy of Wedgebury who seems to have the physical capabilities of playing centrally in a 2.

I wouldn't label Wedgebury or Carrington as defensive midfielders at all. I'd label them as midfielders; well Wedgebury anyway.
Old 16th August 2017, 10.40:32   #57-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B10Red View Post
We need to create chances, and I don't understand why Leo Smith isn't given a chance?

I have criticised Carrington in the past but he wasn't bad last night, just average (as per).

Our issue is there doesn't seem to be a link between striker and midfield, meaning Boden has to drop deep, leaving Massanka up top alone (and offside)... if we had someone in front of Wedgbury and Carra it may work
Wasn't bad? He did absolutely nothing barely touched the ball. He literally does nothing.
A Wright must be garbage if he can't get in ahead of dross like Carrington. I agree the gap between midfield and attack was massive eventually causing Bodenro drop in hunting for the ball.
Old 16th August 2017, 10.51:57   #58-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Mold Road Stand (opposite the tunnell)

It's just not quite right at the moment, the parts (mostly) are all there but it isn't working.

I expect the idea of the two holding midfields and non overlapping of the full backs is to allow us to play a front 4 that don't need to track back much. This is working, but the front 4 isn't.

Last night, Kelly was getting bested by Wes York as he was too fast for him and didn't give him the time he needed, where as Mackreth seemed scared of Fyfield (proved IMO by Rutherford giving Fyfield a harder time even if having little more success)

I said at half time I would have changed the front 4 by putting Kelly in the middle playing behind Boden, Mackreth out wide left to challenge York with Pace and Massanka on the right to give Fyfield something different to think about.

I don't like playing two defensive midfielders at home on paper, but if we get the front 4 working better (may happen with Reid involved) then I don't necessarily think it is wrong and it does make us hard to beat.

Keates deserves credit for leaving Massanka on also, I was shocked and disappointed that he hooked Boden but he was proved right as the combination led to the goal and caused more problems then we had previously.
Old 16th August 2017, 10.52:21   #59-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
Wasn't bad? He did absolutely nothing barely touched the ball. He literally does nothing.
A Wright must be garbage if he can't get in ahead of dross like Carrington. I agree the gap between midfield and attack was massive eventually causing Bodenro drop in hunting for the ball.
That's what Keates brought Holroyd in to do although being injured doesn't help.

I'm a big believer in confidence breeding confidence. Wedgebury and Carrington being somewhat conservative is making us solid if not a little one dimensional. For example on Saturday, we didn't do too well chasing the game. If Gateshead had taken one of their early chances we'd have had to have taken a few more risks; similar to the Macc game.
Old 16th August 2017, 10.56:19   #60-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

6 years ago we started with Mangan,Morrell and Pogba up front. A combination most on hear would kill for at present. We got beat 7-2 ....
Old 16th August 2017, 10.57:38   #61-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale

Quote:
I'm mindful to agree that Kelly would not be suited centrally in a 4-4-2 and neither is Carrington. We could do with a carbon copy of Wedgebury who seems to have the physical capabilities of playing centrally in a 2.

I wouldn't label Wedgebury or Carrington as defensive midfielders at all. I'd label them as midfielders; well Wedgebury anyway.
If you're going to just generalise them as 'midfielders' that would imply that they can both defend and attack, break-up play, pass well and create - that would be the attributes of all-round midfielders.

But can they pass well and create? Play incisive passes to our wingers & forwards? I'd strongly suggest they can't, hence their classification as 'defensive midfielders' in the eyes of the majority.

If we were to ever play 4-2-3-1, where would these two be better suited - in the two or in the three? In the two of course.

Their defensive attributes far outweigh their attacking, hence why when they both play we really struggle to create and open teams up.

I staggers me the lack of concern being shown by some in this regard. People have tended to go on about looking solid and not conceding, which is fine but shouldn't be at the expense of having creativity and posing a threat - the balance is the key.

If you do not create, you will rarely score. If you don't score, you don't win games.

So so fundamental.
Old 16th August 2017, 10.58:25   #62-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
To be fair, Carrington can do no right in your eyes no matter what he does. But I do think we both agree he shouldn't be starting.

Boden dropping deep is an issue. This can be resolved by either finding a player to play between the midfield and striker (in a CAM role), or by having a striker who complements Boden by making decent runs for him... Lets see if Reid can off this.
Old 16th August 2017, 10.59:52   #63-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
That's what Keates brought Holroyd in to do although being injured doesn't help.

I'm a big believer in confidence breeding confidence. Wedgebury and Carrington being somewhat conservative is making us solid if not a little one dimensional. For example on Saturday, we didn't do too well chasing the game. If Gateshead had taken one of their early chances we'd have had to have taken a few more risks; similar to the Macc game.
I don't get people saying Carrington and Wedgebury are too similar. One does all the work and all the running the other does f k all. People need to start watching them closer then they will see this. I watched them last night closely and the difference between them is frightening.

If we were up against a clincal team last night the game would have been out of sight by HT.

I too think we sorely miss Holroyd, his work rate if nothing else. I think Keates has got the formation all wrong.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 13.02:16.