Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th December 2018, 10.22:38   #217-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop
Twitter: @

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffred View Post
Some will still be moaning... "if we'd have signed Rowe we'd have had 140 points".

It's not necessary that Rowe would be as lethal here infront of goal, that's the problem some players play well at one club but when they move it don't always work out especially at lower levels, also the expectancy is high here because of our support and I think some players can't handle the pressure.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 14th December 2018, 11.46:44   #218-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: On the centre spot

Default Re: Disappointed (Newport A)

I remember meeting a Cambridge fan on holiday just after we had signed Bobby Shinton. He said he was glad he was leaving Cambridge because he was rubbish! He turned out to be one of the best players Wrexham ever had. It's very much hit and miss with players.

As John Neals Dynasty says;

'.....some players play well at one club but when they move it don't always work out especially at lower levels....'

I don't envy the manager in selecting who to buy. At our level, sometimes they work out, more often than not, they don't. Anybody who does succeed, player or manager, are then picked off by other clubs. Difficult situation.
Old 14th December 2018, 11.54:41   #219-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I remember meeting a Cambridge fan on holiday just after we had signed Bobby Shinton. He said he was glad he was leaving Cambridge because he was rubbish! He turned out to be one of the best players Wrexham ever had. It's very much hit and miss with players.
Its all about judgement, spotting potential and then the man management to realise the potential.

Quite often a new manager does better at a club as he changes and mixes the formation and mix of players in the team.

Yes it's difficult and it is about players a manager likes the look of. e.g. Kosylo
Old 14th December 2018, 12.26:39   #220-0 (permalink)
Printing My Own Banknotes

Racecourse Spot: Upper Yale stand, town end

Quote:
Full of great suggestions as always. Easier to just snipe.
I haven't suggested anything, I've been stating this for over four years now. Any manager with half a brain will almost certainly want a proven goalscorer in his spuad,otherwise it's fair to assume he's trying his best not to lose games. Remind me who we had upfront during our 98point season? We've either had complete numpties as managers or our playing budget wont allow us to bring in the quality any team at any level of football needs, if you have any aspirations of success. For the past five years or more, as a club, we're the polar opposite of these types teams, our midtable and eleven year stay down here proves this.

To be fair to Keates he did it the Shankey way and built from the back, neglected every other aspect and then Horsey added a cougle of midfielders with the ability to pass a ball five yards. What I don't undertstand is why, after having his defence sorted for him, we didn't identify and bring in the quality upfront. The players brought in to create and score goals this year, and I include every striker currently at the club, are utter dog shit. Without Lainton and the back
our we'd be midtable at best. We haven't got one striker in the top 24 ffs, shocking.

It's a miracle where we are in the league, and with the team spirit and solid backline we already have, we only need that special player in and around the box, most teams find these players during the summer, we have a second chance in
January. Failure to do so will mean we win nothing, we'll most probably dominate whoever we play in the play offs, only for their goalscorer to do what he's paid to do and win the game for the opposition. (exactly what Bonne did)

Our season depends on the strikers we bring in January, but as I said before, it should've been sorted during the summer.
Old 14th December 2018, 12.46:46   #221-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: ERS

Where to start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienormous View Post
I haven't suggested anything.
That was my point...

Quote:
I've been stating this for over four years now. Any manager with half a brain will almost certainly want a proven goalscorer in his spuad,otherwise it's fair to assume he's trying his best not to lose games. Remind me who we had upfront during our 98point season? We've either had complete numpties as managers or our playing budget wont allow us to bring in the quality any team at any level of football needs, if you have any aspirations of success. For the past five years or more, as a club, we're the polar opposite of these types teams, our midtable and eleven year stay down here proves this.
There's an element of a number of things:

1) our budget in the 98 point team was far bigger than it is now so comparisons are difficult. I would add though that one of the key attributes of that team was pace. Pace is often a differentiator and something, IMO, we lack with the team we've been playing recently.
2) our managers have been mixed. Morrell struggled to deal with the reduction in budget. Wilkin did well in the transfer market but was not professional in others (such as analytics etc). Mills set us back years. Keates & Ricketts both had the right idea - make us difficult to beat first of all.
3) Our budget is not in the same league as some teams but better than most.

Quote:
To be fair to Keates he did it the Shankey way and built from the back, neglected every other aspect and then Horsey added a cougle of midfielders with the ability to pass a ball five yards. What I don't undertstand is why, after having his defence sorted for him, we didn't identify and bring in the quality upfront. The players brought in to create and score goals this year, and I include every striker currently at the club, are utter dog shit. Without Lainton and the back our we'd be midtable at best. We haven't got one striker in the top 24 ffs, shocking.
Our striking recruitment was poor. However, this team is an improvement on last year.

Quote:
It's a miracle where we are in the league, and with the team spirit and solid backline we already have, we only need that special player in and around the box, most teams find these players during the summer, we have a second chance in January. Failure to do so will mean we win nothing, we'll most probably dominate whoever we play in the play offs, only for their goalscorer to do what he's paid to do and win the game for the opposition. (exactly what Bonne did).
It's not a miracle. We're where we deserve to be. You don't win 13 games in half a season and it be a miracle. this team has a number of qualities. if it didn't you point about only needing that special player would be nonsense.
Old 14th December 2018, 13.20:41   #222-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Quote:
1) our budget in the 98 point team was far bigger than it is now so comparisons are difficult.
I think far bigger is over-stating this. We have always been informed that budgets have not been cut.

Do you have the figures to support this from that season?
Old 14th December 2018, 13.23:50   #223-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
I think far bigger is over-stating this. We have always been informed that budgets have not been cut.

Do you have the figures to support this from that season?
It had to be bigger - look at the players we had!

we are often informed that the budget had not been cut - definitely remember this about the 16-17 budget compared to the 15-16 one, however I cannot remember it being said about EVERY budget EVERY season. No comments have been made about this season's budget to my recollection?
Old 14th December 2018, 13.25:16   #224-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
It had to be bigger - look at the players we had!
So what was the figure then that's what I am asking otherwise were assuming.
Old 14th December 2018, 13.56:13   #225-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
So what was the figure then that's what I am asking otherwise were assuming.
yep, assuming correctly!

i don't think we saw the 11-12 accounts did we?
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 10.04:27.