Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th November 2020, 17.27:54   #73-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: Kop RIP

Can’t wait for the bulldozer to move in and flatten it. I know it holds memories for so many but in honesty it is now no more than a constant reminder of what used to be and a replacement stand would welcome in a new dawn where new memories can be created and tomorrow’s Wrexham fans can say ‘I remember being stood/sat there when...’

It is an eyesore and hardly screams professional club on the up to new signings.

The town needs this to happen and sooner rather than later...if I were R&R it would be high on the agenda as it will be a long lasting legacy that they (in conjunction with the Gateway project team) can give to the town and will firmly put The Racecourse back in the international reckoning.
Old 28th November 2020, 07.19:09   #74-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Rd Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugolini View Post
1926 and I stood cheering hysterically in the paddock in 1960 watching us beat a good old First Division Blackburn Rovers side 3-1 in the League cup. It poured down throughout and we were drenched but we didn't care. I still have the programme and the condition of it shows that it too was soaked. Just one happy memory in scores!!
My first match to watch the Mighty Reds.
Old 28th November 2020, 07.42:06   #75-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand

During the past 50 years, I have stood on the Kop for perhaps 5 games. Generally because i couldnt get a ticket elsewhere in the ground. I can understand the fondness from the fans for this part of the ground, but i dont particularly share it. Some folks will always prefer to stand at games, as it is more conducive to expressing views at high volume!
I am a product of the Bushfield Stand. A place where adults could leave their kids, in the knowledge that the stand elevation will enable them to see more than Dave Gaskells a*se.
Saying that, I wouldn't mind some Racecourse memorabilia. But I do think that £300 is a bit steep for bits of metal that have only been in situ for 40 years. When Covid lets football return to normal in the next few months, there will be a stampede to get an ST anywhere in our stadium!
Old 28th November 2020, 07.59:46   #76-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
Yes, guilty as charged. I posted it a while ago. My father and grandfather said they were tank traps for use if there was an invasion. The design allowed them to be rolled into position and then set in concrete.

It could be the ones that support the Kop bank were never used and were hanging around after the war ! who knows - They had a hole through the middle for engineers to place a makeshift 'axle to enable them to be rolled along the road.

If you google 'Round concrete tank traps' you might end up on the Lancashire at War site and there is a picture of a few. Perhaps a few of them should be saved and set aside - certainly a piece of Wrexham's forgotten History.
I had always believed these to be contiguous piles Inside Left, which I had assumed to have been sunk to retain the built-up earth that formed the kop.
Contiguous piles are commonly used for retaining earth banks and you can occasionally see them at the sides of railway and road embankments etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...w=1366&bih=654

Last edited by eastsussex; 28th November 2020 at 08.03:11..
Old 28th November 2020, 08.38:43   #77-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Red View Post
Can’t wait for the bulldozer to move in and flatten it. I know it holds memories for so many but in honesty it is now no more than a constant reminder of what used to be and a replacement stand would welcome in a new dawn where new memories can be created and tomorrow’s Wrexham fans can say ‘I remember being stood/sat there when...’

It is an eyesore and hardly screams professional club on the up to new signings.

The town needs this to happen and sooner rather than later...if I were R&R it would be high on the agenda as it will be a long lasting legacy that they (in conjunction with the Gateway project team) can give to the town and will firmly put The Racecourse back in the international reckoning.
Yes it needs to be flattened now and perhaps a temporary stand erected to tidy it up until they decide what to build on it .As for memorabilia I have one of the steel dividers that were on the benches behind the old directors box on the Mold Rd anyone else got one ?
Old 28th November 2020, 10.12:08   #78-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1954 View Post
Quote:- 1952 saw the laying down of concrete terracing on the ever-popular Kop end, which is now the oldest part of the ground. Five years later was to see the largest ever attendance at the Racecourse when 34,445 people gathered to witness an FA Cup fourth-round tie against Manchester United. On 30 September 1959, the Racecourse saw the switching-on of the newly installed floodlights.

I cannot remember when the barriers were erected. I was at the United match in the late 50s, my memory not that good if they were there then. But one thing I do remember was the crowd swaying from side to side, like the Liverpool kop of old. (I was at the front of the old Enclosers by the Turf). Would not have thought that would have happened if the barriers are like what they are today.
I know what you mean t1954; but technically, The Turf Tavern is the oldest surviving structure in the stadium. It was built as an intrinsic part of The Racecourse between 1795 and 1819- hence the name. The other half of the existing Turf Hotel 'The Grandstand' was built around 1830.
This is the reason why I believe that Coflein needs to re-survey The Turf in order to amend their records with the correct information, as this new information should help to safeguard both the stadium and the The Turf itself for future generations. I have written to them again this week, but everything appears to be on hold, due to covid.

Last edited by eastsussex; 28th November 2020 at 10.18:19..
Old 28th November 2020, 10.56:13   #79-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussex View Post
I had always believed these to be contiguous piles Inside Left, which I had assumed to have been sunk to retain the built-up earth that formed the kop.
Contiguous piles are commonly used for retaining earth banks and you can occasionally see them at the sides of railway and road embankments etc.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...w=1366&bih=654
I can see what you mean with the piles but the circular concrete lumps are pretty random. If you look at the Lancashire at war site via google there are various examples of the traps . including the round ones at The Racecourse.

I have tried to find some kind of instruction manual for the Home Guard re obstruction designs but have yet to find one. Perhaps Wrexham Museum should save a couple for display.
Old 28th November 2020, 13.05:21   #80-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
I can see what you mean with the piles but the circular concrete lumps are pretty random. If you look at the Lancashire at war site via google there are various examples of the traps . including the round ones at The Racecourse.

I have tried to find some kind of instruction manual for the Home Guard re obstruction designs but have yet to find one. Perhaps Wrexham Museum should save a couple for display.

Thanks IL, I had never heard of round tank traps and so had never considered this previously.
It would be interesting to see how they actually worked as a retaining wall. Hopefully, some information will come to light when the terraces eventually get ripped out.
Old 28th November 2020, 13.05:33   #81-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Started in MR then The Boys pen and a graduate of The Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Flag View Post
Yes it needs to be flattened now and perhaps a temporary stand erected to tidy it up until they decide what to build on it .As for memorabilia I have one of the steel dividers that were on the benches behind the old directors box on the Mold Rd anyone else got one ?
Again as for memorabilia I must confess that following the pitch invasion at the end of the 77/78 season, I removed part of the spot from the centre circle and replanted it in my Kidderminster lawn. The white spot soon washed off and sad to say when I moved house some years later I couldn't remember which part of the lawn it was in.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 16.54:58.