Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th February 2020, 10.23:03   #64-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: THE TIME IS NOW! Sign up to the WST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Lets face it being a club member has lost it's buzz factor.

The only reason most people now join is for the discount on your season ticket - it's a no brainer - without it membership would plummet.
That is the reason I am a member plus the slight discount on away travel.

However, what is clear and has been for years is people's membership applications not being dealt with as quick as they would hope or questions / enquiries not being replied to (as highlighted yet again above in this thread).

It's all very well encouraging as many people to join PROVIDED that once the monster is created, the admin system in place can cope with the demand - my thought is, long term it has failed and eventually people once let down turn away, don't renew and are put off from getting involved.

I still question how many people joined for no other reason than to get the chance to get tickets for the Stoke FA Cup tie - and if those same people were still members 13 months later ? Was an answer ever provided ? There has to be some incentive to join - when the club were in financial trouble you liked to think you were doing your bit and contributing but I don't get the impression any more that people join for that reason.

Also, the majority don't want to be involved in the politics of how the club is run - they just want to turn up on Saturday and watch a game of football - joining so you are entitled to vote isn't important to most - perhaps it should be, especially now but that's reality as demonstrated by numbers voting in the past.
I wholeheartedly agree with the point made that being a club member has [largely] lost its buzz factor.

When members were fighting for the cause of saving the club, there was a strong feeling of pride in doing so, and that received much praise from the fans of other clubs, and from the media.

As time went by, the club's financial worries diminished, in no small part due to the money invested in it by members, but complacency has crept in, and a major element of this now being a fans owned club rather than one relying on the whim of a potentially dodgy owner. The fans owned bit has bought financial security - but at a price! While fans expect a single owner to fund the club to playing successes, there seems to be an unwillingness among some members to go the extra mile and dig deep - within whatever limits they find affordable - to achieve the same.

Fans ownership is a title for a Model. Within the model, each member has a role to bring. As a staunch supporter of the club, the member continues to bring as much income as possible to the club through season and match tickets, even though these are discounted as an incentive to stay as members. Nothing wrong with that of course! And if the discounts bring on board more members who pay at least the minimum membership charge, and maybe a bit more when they feel able, then it is great for the club, and great for the fans too when they see that money bringing success.

We don't have one sugar daddy at the club, but we do have thousands of them!

Every member is a sugar daddy - and if he or she wants to be generous, either all the time or just occasionally, there is a way to boost the club to success, and to say "I played a part in this" if they want the kudos. Others will remain in the background if they wish to shun the publicity, but can you imagine the reaction of other clubs' fans, and of the media, if we were promoted next season on the strength of the money raised by members to strengthen the squad? Can you imagine the feelings of pride that members would have once again?

Sometimes, such success can snowball. More success would mean more fans being attracted. More attendance money. More members joining. More sugar daddies!

Or we can just hope that things will miraculously become better, in spite of experience telling us that it usually doesn't happen by itself.

Lessons are boing learned at the club. We will benefit from the changes that will happen. Membership has not been a waste of time or of money: for one thing, the club wouldn't exist at all had the fans not rescued it, and while the learning curve has been steep, the experience gained from the time spent in one of the toughest leagues around will be used much more effectively than by bringing in strangers without the skills to work with the members to meet our objectives.

Do we need any more excuses to join or to continue membership?
Old 13th February 2020, 11.00:23   #65-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Way Is Up View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the point made that being a club member has [largely] lost its buzz factor.

When members were fighting for the cause of saving the club, there was a strong feeling of pride in doing so, and that received much praise from the fans of other clubs, and from the media.

As time went by, the club's financial worries diminished, in no small part due to the money invested in it by members, but complacency has crept in, and a major element of this now being a fans owned club rather than one relying on the whim of a potentially dodgy owner. The fans owned bit has bought financial security - but at a price! While fans expect a single owner to fund the club to playing successes, there seems to be an unwillingness among some members to go the extra mile and dig deep - within whatever limits they find affordable - to achieve the same.

Fans ownership is a title for a Model. Within the model, each member has a role to bring. As a staunch supporter of the club, the member continues to bring as much income as possible to the club through season and match tickets, even though these are discounted as an incentive to stay as members. Nothing wrong with that of course! And if the discounts bring on board more members who pay at least the minimum membership charge, and maybe a bit more when they feel able, then it is great for the club, and great for the fans too when they see that money bringing success.

We don't have one sugar daddy at the club, but we do have thousands of them!

Every member is a sugar daddy - and if he or she wants to be generous, either all the time or just occasionally, there is a way to boost the club to success, and to say "I played a part in this" if they want the kudos. Others will remain in the background if they wish to shun the publicity, but can you imagine the reaction of other clubs' fans, and of the media, if we were promoted next season on the strength of the money raised by members to strengthen the squad? Can you imagine the feelings of pride that members would have once again?

Sometimes, such success can snowball. More success would mean more fans being attracted. More attendance money. More members joining. More sugar daddies!

Or we can just hope that things will miraculously become better, in spite of experience telling us that it usually doesn't happen by itself.

Lessons are boing learned at the club. We will benefit from the changes that will happen. Membership has not been a waste of time or of money: for one thing, the club wouldn't exist at all had the fans not rescued it, and while the learning curve has been steep, the experience gained from the time spent in one of the toughest leagues around will be used much more effectively than by bringing in strangers without the skills to work with the members to meet our objectives.

Do we need any more excuses to join or to continue membership?
Ploughing through your idealist post it sound's wonderful but it's not living in the real world.

You're basically advocating continual milking of the same cow, we live today in a society where Food banks have become acceptable, people sleeping rough at record levels and you think fans should give to a charity ran football club ran by idiot's who are only in it for their own glory, most fans have rumbled they waste our money hand over fist who in their right mind would give to this charity, we need the Swansea way.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 13th February 2020, 11.15:34   #66-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: GUS

No doubting we've some good people on the board, such as Steve Lloyd. It's a dam shame that things aren't working out. I really think that Pete Jones is doing a lot of damage to the wst model, by not resigning he's created bad feeling to which I can't see the WST model recovering. I know the guy is a big supporter of the club, but he really should have 'took one for the team' a long time ago. If he'd done that 2-3 years ago it would've been interesting to see if we could have succeeded with fresh blood, new ideas and impetus, guess we'll never know
Old 13th February 2020, 12.12:48   #67-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
No doubting we've some good people on the board, such as Steve Lloyd. It's a dam shame that things aren't working out. I really think that Pete Jones is doing a lot of damage to the wst model, by not resigning he's created bad feeling to which I can't see the WST model recovering. I know the guy is a big supporter of the club, but he really should have 'took one for the team' a long time ago. If he'd done that 2-3 years ago it would've been interesting to see if we could have succeeded with fresh blood, new ideas and impetus, guess we'll never know
I know Steve a long time, from years ago playing football with him, decent keeper as it happens! anyway a nicer fella you couldn't wish to meet, very much a people person and very approachable, maybe a re-jigging of roles with him and Pete Jones (chuck in Spencer at that) would do the club no harm at all.
Old 13th February 2020, 12.29:17   #68-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neals Dynasty View Post
Ploughing through your idealist post it sound's wonderful but it's not living in the real world.

You're basically advocating continual milking of the same cow, we live today in a society where Food banks have become acceptable, people sleeping rough at record levels and you think fans should give to a charity ran football club ran by idiot's who are only in it for their own glory, most fans have rumbled they waste our money hand over fist who in their right mind would give to this charity, we need the Swansea way.
Posted via mobile theme
Ah! You must be right, I'll give up then.
Old 13th February 2020, 12.40:07   #69-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: GUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebudo View Post
I know Steve a long time, from years ago playing football with him, decent keeper as it happens! anyway a nicer fella you couldn't wish to meet, very much a people person and very approachable, maybe a re-jigging of roles with him and Pete Jones (chuck in Spencer at that) would do the club no harm at all.

Yeah, tbh I'd be really happy with that. I mean it comes to a point that an individual loses all credibility after so many years of us underachieving, makes no difference if people like or dislike PJ, he needs to pack it in now, really hope he doesn't just wait till he's voted off. It must also be disconcerting for other members of the WST board
Old 13th February 2020, 14.14:23   #70-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Quote:

Did not say I was right it's just my opinion as we all have them who can think for themselves, my reply was not to have a dig at you as your opinion is that, at least you have one, if we all agreed on everything it would be a sad sterile world.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 13th February 2020, 14.39:40   #71-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: KOP

Quote:
It won't make a difference either way.
Old 14th February 2020, 08.30:53   #72-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale stand

The only way is up, is clearly stating “Let’s maintain the Status quo”. I must not disrespect his/her opinions, but seriously? Are we happy just to sit back and let the present regime run this club into the ground? We know the good that the Trust has done, but it’s now time to act.
If Monday’s Meeting is full of nodding dogs, then we have lost it. If we want a football club for our kids in the future, we need to get off our key boards and arses and get our views across.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.01:42.