Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Three Episode Threads: S3E1 Welcome To EFL / S3E2 Goals / Notts Again / Risky Business / Temporary / Far Away, So Close / Trouble / ...

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th April 2024, 13.13:39   #28-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: ‘People say we’re destroying football – I think it’s absurd’ - Humphrey in the Independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_the_red View Post
They may well be true, but look at the transfer budgets and existing squads of Peterborough , Birmingham , Oxford, Charlton , Wigan , Lincoln , Barnsley , Huddersfield , Reading ....

... it's not just about us , it's about the other teams in the league next season - this is going to be a very, VERY competitive league
VERY, VERY, VERY competitive. 5 million and the club's profile and momentum gives us the ability to punch above our weight and I can't wait to give a few of those teams a bloody nose.

My room mate at Uni is a Barnsley ST holder. He is absolutely dreading playing us next season. Probably because he'll be sat next to me for both games!
Old 30th April 2024, 13.17:01   #29-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Kop, when it was open. Now my Couch

Default Re: ‘People say we’re destroying football – I think it’s absurd’ - Humphrey in the Independent

Humphrey always comes across well in these interviews.
A great guy, funny, self depreciating and very authentic.
I won't begrudge him moving on to something better for his life.
But we will miss him, that's for sure.
We'll never see a lot of Rob and Ryan, especially as their empire expands. Humphrey has been able to channel their thoughts to us, without him there will be a bit of a vacuum. I suspect he is irreplaceable!
Old 30th April 2024, 13.21:08   #30-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Mold Roa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Somebody explain to me how we tell the players "don't try too hard lads, we only want to be tenth". They will, and must, go out to win every game and, if that means we are fighting for promotion, then all the "no training facility, three sided ground" stuff will go out of the window. Fans will get excited, players will push harder and our owners will have huge grins on their faces.
Let's go again!
The current group can try as hard as they want. There's not enough quality in the squad at present to get out of league one in my opinion. It might also be Humphrey preparing us for the summer window. Maybe thr blockbuster signings won't be this summer.
Old 30th April 2024, 13.59:17   #31-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexham Can View Post
Humphrey always comes across well in these interviews.
A great guy, funny, self depreciating and very authentic.
I won't begrudge him moving on to something better for his life.
But we will miss him, that's for sure.
We'll never see a lot of Rob and Ryan, especially as their empire expands. Humphrey has been able to channel their thoughts to us, without him there will be a bit of a vacuum. I suspect he is irreplaceable!

Nobody is irreplaceable - but I agree , Humphrey feels as close to irreplaceable as it can get - anyone else who comes in could never be as tuned into who we are , where we've come from and what it's been like to go from where we were to where we are now ....

I also very much doubt if any other person coming into his role would be as visible as him and as willing to ahgn around before and after pretty much every game he goes to meeting fans and chatting to anyone who wants to talk to him .... he really is a wonderful fella & I don't think many realise how important he is to the club and to what we've achieved over these past few years .....I hope it's not goodbye yet
Old 30th April 2024, 17.02:20   #32-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Somebody explain to me how we tell the players "don't try too hard lads, we only want to be tenth". They will, and must, go out to win every game and, if that means we are fighting for promotion, then all the "no training facility, three sided ground" stuff will go out of the window. Fans will get excited, players will push harder and our owners will have huge grins on their faces.
Let's go again!
That's the point. Our current squad can try as hard as they like, they won't be anywhere near promotion.

The recruitment will be stepped up a notch now. There will be a lot of future planning for arrivals and departures as we build a squad capable of challenging for promotion, whilst at the same time making sure we won't need to completely overhaul the squad again for our first season in the Championship.
Old 30th April 2024, 17.09:00   #33-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Excellent article which avoids the cliches that come with so many of these articles and you tube blogs. Humphrey seems to open up to the writer and it’s clear that he is preparing his exit strategy. Hopefully he can still be involved in some way and R and R can replace him with a person who can negotiate the club and football issues; though clearly nobody will match Humphrey’s humour, panache and striking visual presence.
Old 30th April 2024, 17.57:14   #34-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

It's hard to say what Humphrey does behind the scenes cause we aren't in the boardroom and how irreplaceable that part of his role is, I assume at this point they could find any number of qualified people willing to work for them to fill that void...but it's hard to think of anyone aside from Rob and Ryan themselves who've done more from a PR standpoint for Wrexham, he was the liason for R and R to the team and town itself in the early days, and has been one of the main liasons for R and R/the team and town to the public via the documentary plus his various appearances on podcasts/interviews and the like.

Living a double life is hard, I completely understand if he needs to take a step back. We kind of saw that with Spencer on the way out too, it takes a toll.

Last edited by Red Dragons AFC; 30th April 2024 at 18.01:37..
Old 30th April 2024, 17.57:42   #35-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongSufferingRed View Post
That's the point. Our current squad can try as hard as they like, they won't be anywhere near promotion.

The recruitment will be stepped up a notch now. There will be a lot of future planning for arrivals and departures as we build a squad capable of challenging for promotion, whilst at the same time making sure we won't need to completely overhaul the squad again for our first season in the Championship.
Very true, our first XI for the last couple of games fielded 9 players who were with us in the NL, the 2 exceptions being Arthur and McClean, and exactly what we planned for when building our squad in the NL.

I’m quite sure the squad will be good enough for mid table, but Parky will already be on the lookout for better players to make us more competitive against the better teams next season.

Time will tell where we end up in the table next season, but as others have said we need to be careful with our expectations. A few years yet before we are bringing players through the academy, therefore the new players coming into the club will be the key to our success.

Last edited by Wiltshire_Red; 30th April 2024 at 17.59:11..
Old 30th April 2024, 19.24:38   #36-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Tech End

I expected a top 7 finish and hoped for promotion this year, and if we were to go up I said I expected 2-3 years in L1 before really going for promotion - that stands.

Mid table
Push for top 6
Aim for top 2

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 05.45:36.