Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th May 2018, 12.45:27   #28-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road
Twitter: @

Default Re: Carl Darlington extends Wrexham AFC deal until 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
Darlington's skillset as far as I can see is coaching coaches to coach.
Correct but that doesn't make him a bad coach. Last summer he was seen as Keates' most important signing and when we were riding high many were saying he was the brains of the operation. Good news he has committed to another 2 years and no doubt he could have gone to L1 Walsall if he wanted it. His experience should be a massive help to young Sam and whoever his number 2 is.

Last edited by davewilli; 11th May 2018 at 12.49:41..
Old 11th May 2018, 12.49:01   #29-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrasRed View Post
Agreed, hardly tactically inspiring last season were we.
If you swallow the hype when Keates brought him in last season he would definitely make a difference. Now we’re being told a different story.
Some of the excuses being rolled out are ridiculous.
Old 11th May 2018, 12.55:35   #30-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
If you swallow the hype when Keates brought him in last season he would definitely make a difference. Now we’re being told a different story.
I don't think people are making excuses. They're just stating what his role at the club is.

You can't blame the man for the tactics when he has said himself that he didn't favour them.

Personally I think he has made a difference in terms of professionalism behind the scenes. I realise this didn't get us promotion, but it certainly helped in the first half of the season before our mundane tactics were sussed.
Old 11th May 2018, 12.56:29   #31-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni View Post
I don't think people are making excuses. They're just stating what his role at the club is.

You can't blame the man for the tactics when he has said himself that he didn't favour them.

Personally I think he has made a difference in terms of professionalism behind the scenes but it seems. I realise this didn't get us promotion, but it certainly helped in the first half of the season before our mundane tactics were sussed.
The club call him a coach but on this thread people are telling me he doesn’t coach players. Which is it?
Old 11th May 2018, 13.00:50   #32-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

The only thing that matters now is the quality of players we bring in. It doesn't matter how good your coaches are if you've got a bunch of donkeys grazing the pitch. I'm sure Darlington's impact will be mainly in organisation of training and the more technical aspects while the footballing side will be down to Ricketts and his no 2 as it was, more than likely, this year. The style of play is always down to the manager and the uber-negative tactics of last season were keates'. The WFA coaching, as stated elsewhere, allow for the managers to develop their personal style so i dont think there's much doubt as to whom the blame lies with for the recent fiasco. Who knows, maybe Darlington was as surprised as anyone with the route to failure that keates adopted.
Old 11th May 2018, 13.09:59   #33-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: yale paddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilli View Post

Correct but that doesn't make him a bad coach. Last summer he was seen as Keates' most important signing and when we were riding high many were saying he was the brains of the operation. Good news he has committed to another 2 years and [B]no doubt he could have gone to L1 Walsall if he wanted it. [/B]His experience should be a massive help to young Sam and whoever his number 2 is.
That's if they would be happy to employ a one day a week coach!!

Last edited by andy buckley; 11th May 2018 at 13.11:20..
Old 11th May 2018, 13.32:41   #34-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Quote:
So he doesn’t actually coach the players then? Are you suggesting what he does has no impact on performances? That’s weird. A coach who has no impact on performances. I’ve read it all now

I’m still waiting for an explanation on the hype he gets. He’s only ever coached at TNS as far as I’m aware and they would win the league with ease anyway.
It is quite common in clubs that a manager sets a desired style of play, tactics and buys players he believes can fulfil that. He then hires a coach who can get the players to achieve the tactics.
I heard an interview with Steve McClaren where he said on his first day at Old Trafford he asked Sir Alex what he wanted him to do. Sir Alex's reply was "You know how we play so go and coach the team to do it"

In pre season interviews Keates was intimating our style of play, he talked of building a defence first, securing them all for 2 years and he used phrases like "difficult to beat", " we will be in every game". All the clues were there about how we would set up and play. In that respect it suggests that CD did a fantastic job of delivering what he was asked to do as the team played out the managers desired tactics. If Sam has a different philosophy and asks CD to coach a team full of attacking flair scoring 80 goals next season then i am sure CD will deliver different training plans. Either way the intention will be clear from our transfer dealings.
Old 11th May 2018, 14.03:52   #35-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS Centre

Good news for the club.

Strange that people are critical of him but don't know how many hours/days he works or what he does!
Old 11th May 2018, 14.21:49   #36-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: yale

Quote:
see no problem with him staying, as i see it his job is to help lay foundations. the hype wasn't created by keates or club but by people on here as much as anything.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 20.00:22.