Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10th June 2018, 11.12:54   #64-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend
Twitter: @

Default Re: Its all about money and we've got enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienormous View Post
Another lmpotent and spineless forward line this year will confirm our lack of coin.
I don't believe that we cannot afford to sign any decent forwards.
Holroyd has been fairly decent and has re-signed.

Look at some of our options.

Matty Kosylo - are we saying we cannot afford him and Halifax pay more?
Scott Quigley - this one depends on whether Blackpool value him or would be prepared to cancel his contract to get him off their books or sell him on and take a loss on the £35k.
Jason Oswell - are Stockport paying more in the National League north.
Jordan Archer - same applies.
Danny Rowe - this one is probably down to wages given the outside funding Fylde have.
Aaron Williams - as per Oswell and Archer.
Joe Ironside - same applies.

Then we have any potential L1/L2 players that I think Sam is looking at i.e. players not getting a game who maybe better dropping down to be getting a game.
Old 10th June 2018, 11.34:58   #65-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Pigeon Loft

Macclesfield Town have made the argument we've got enough money to give us a chance.

About three years ago their owner, who was supporting the club decided he'd had enough and offered the club to the Council. He pulled the plug on the funding (I worked for a company Macc owed money to) and they were heading for oblivion. It was rapidly clear their approx. 1,000 home supporters were not sustaining the spending being made. He changed his mind and started funding the club again, to what amount I do not know, but it was enough.

Askey may be a managerial genius but he was also able to sign players of the sufficient standard to win promotion. So are we.

I think what is misunderstood by most people is the massive element of luck required to produce the winning formula. Eastleigh, over at least 4 seasons have clearly spent big on players and never made a significant promotion push. Histon did far better (briefly) with a bag of beans.

A wild estimate for the lower limit for a playing budget would be 400K. With that you're in with a chance. Between 400K and 1 million I don't accept the quality of affordable players can be distinguished.
Old 10th June 2018, 11.56:59   #66-0 (permalink)
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: ERS but missing the Kop

Yes it not all entirely down to money a lot is down to the ability to scout and spot a good player & fill a team with the right blend of players for how you wish to play, remember every other team is doing the same with only 2 promotion places it's extremely hard and we could be having this same conversation in another 10 yrs.

That's why I had concerns over rookie managers they are learning their trade at our expense, then as in Keates case jumping ship for a better offer ( no you can't blame him but it shows a lack of loyalty to the club who gave you the chance to manage without finishing the season when well placed)

Ricketts has a very difficult job on his hands as he has also lost backroom staff & will need patience and time to hopefully get it right.
Posted via mobile theme
Old 10th June 2018, 11.58:26   #67-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
I don't believe that we cannot afford to sign any decent forwards.
Holroyd has been fairly decent and has re-signed.

Look at some of our options.

Matty Kosylo - are we saying we cannot afford him and Halifax pay more?
Scott Quigley - this one depends on whether Blackpool value him or would be prepared to cancel his contract to get him off their books or sell him on and take a loss on the £35k.
Jason Oswell - are Stockport paying more in the National League north.
Jordan Archer - same applies.
Danny Rowe - this one is probably down to wages given the outside funding Fylde have.
Aaron Williams - as per Oswell and Archer.
Joe Ironside - same applies.

Then we have any potential L1/L2 players that I think Sam is looking at i.e. players not getting a game who maybe better dropping down to be getting a game.
Although I agree with you. I do think we can afford decent forwards. I'm not sure about some of those names being viable.

Is Jordan Archer a decent forward? He seems very raw. Potential maybe but I don't think he's ready to be a first team starter at pur level.

Danny Rowe is being paid loads by Fylde.

Ironside, Williams, Oswell and Kyoslo are all part time aren't they? Quite a big consideration to relocate and go full time. I do like Kyosolo from what I've seen of him
Old 10th June 2018, 12.13:58   #68-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congy Red View Post
Macclesfield Town have made the argument we've got enough money to give us a chance.

About three years ago their owner, who was supporting the club decided he'd had enough and offered the club to the Council. He pulled the plug on the funding (I worked for a company Macc owed money to) and they were heading for oblivion. It was rapidly clear their approx. 1,000 home supporters were not sustaining the spending being made. He changed his mind and started funding the club again, to what amount I do not know, but it was enough.

Askey may be a managerial genius but he was also able to sign players of the sufficient standard to win promotion. So are we.

I think what is misunderstood by most people is the massive element of luck required to produce the winning formula. Eastleigh, over at least 4 seasons have clearly spent big on players and never made a significant promotion push. Histon did far better (briefly) with a bag of beans.

A wild estimate for the lower limit for a playing budget would be 400K. With that you're in with a chance. Between 400K and 1 million I don't accept the quality of affordable players can be distinguished.
So if we go with the average team in this league, they would take less than £500,000 per season off league revenue .
Old 10th June 2018, 12.18:34   #69-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Have we got enough money? Of course we have if we want to be a mid table team who gets knocked out in the first round of every cup competition.
However if we want to progress as club ie into the football league and have a half decent youth scheme then clearly we need more money from somewhere..
And for all ones who say that money doesn't guarantee success unfortunately in the long run it probably does just look at the teams that go up..Fleetwood and Newport out spent us..Tranmere and Forest green eventually went up etc etc...And I guarantee that Salford and Fylde will not be in this league for 10 years
Old 10th June 2018, 12.31:30   #70-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: GUS now.

Fair play some great points but I stand ny my original post. If you dont like it. Dont go. The response of "we all thought like that we'd have no support" doesnt wash either. None of us liked the poll tax but what are we doing? Paying it in whatever guise it now goes. Protest against treatment if NHS. Nothings changed. The point being NOT everyone will stop going. So telling one one disgruntled fan who is clearly not enjoying attending matches or indeed it would appear anything to do with the club to not bother coming is not an issue for me.
Old 10th June 2018, 12.35:09   #71-0 (permalink)
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
Although I agree with you. I do think we can afford decent forwards. I'm not sure about some of those names being viable.

Is Jordan Archer a decent forward? He seems very raw. Potential maybe but I don't think he's ready to be a first team starter at pur level.

Danny Rowe is being paid loads by Fylde.

Ironside, Williams, Oswell and Kyoslo are all part time aren't they? Quite a big consideration to relocate and go full time. I do like Kyosolo from what I've seen of him
I was just using them as examples of forwards that could play in this league that are far better than Boden, Massanka and the dross were suffered last season and whether we really could not afford most (apart from Rowe as I did point out).
Old 10th June 2018, 14.10:45   #72-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krux View Post
Why cant you compare? They have sugar daddies where there is no sign of the money running out. Wasn't that the point of discussion?
Posted via mobile theme
I look forward to seeing Fleetwood anf Forest Green trying to compete with Man City then!

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 04.20:25.