Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th May 2020, 08.42:10   #19-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Tech End

Default Re: Shaun Pearson on Talksport and Gary Mills revealing he didn't want the Wrexham job

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLoveWrexham View Post
I remember the fanfare when Bakare signed, many on here were waxing lyrical about his highlight reel which shown him tripping over the ball, knocking through balls out for goal kicks and knocking shots 10 yards over the bar. You had people defending the signing saying he had ‘potential’ he was 29 for gods sake and scored about 17 goals in 300 games and some were putting money on him being top scorer, the club has been a joke for years.
Bakare has gone on to do really well in the WPL. That's not much of a benchmark, but he looked like a different player. Another example of not being able to handle the pressure? Finding it much easier to play in front of 300 rather than 3,000?

Listening to Mills' comments, I think he's correct about a few things and this Club does put too much pressure on the players. This is one of the reasons why we see players leave us and thrive elsewhere.

He can't complain about "not being given enough time" though. If he'd retained the squad from his first season, then maybe we'd have had a shot at play-offs, but his overhaul before the 2nd season was a complete disaster.
Old 27th May 2020, 08.45:45   #20-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Shaun Pearson on Talksport and Gary Mills revealing he didn't want the Wrexham job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_Old_Game View Post
It was the old “I’ll judge him in a Wrexham shirt” brigade who were thinking he was the next Ronaldo.

I distinctly remember looking at his career path and it was obvious to anyone with a brain he was going to be out of his depth. We were the biggest club he’d ever played for, he couldn’t believe his luck.
We had the same claptrap last summer regarding Leighton McIntosh, Adam Barton, Jazzi Barnum Bobb etc.

Quite an achievement on Bryan Hughes' part in mounting a case for the worst summer recruitment of all time given what Gary Mills served up to us in 2016.

Looking at that Mills line up through I'd still have his as the worst.
Old 27th May 2020, 08.53:42   #21-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Tech End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
We had the same claptrap last summer regarding Leighton McIntosh, Adam Barton, Jazzi Barnum Bobb etc.

Quite an achievement on Bryan Hughes' part in mounting a case for the worst summer recruitment of all time given what Gary Mills served up to us in 2016.

I feel like last summer those players were rightly called out early:

Leighton McIntosh - Nobody knew who he was
Adam Barton - 2 year deal, which I predicted would be terminated in January, alas it was February 1st
Jazzi Barnum Bobb - bizarrely opted for over local lad Arlen Birch (who went to Chelmsford to replace JBB!)

That was the beginning of the end for Hughes; he had to prove us wrong or go
Old 27th May 2020, 09.23:52   #22-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post

Yep looking at that team v Sutton, the Mills recruitment in summer 2016 has to go down as the worst, and that's up against very stiff opposition, particularly the early Saunders era, Little, and Hughes.

The daft thing is I really don't think the squad he assembled for the 2015/16 season was that bad - I can't remember the details but I'm sure I recall thinking that he really didn't need to release as many as he did at the end of that season. But the dross signed in that summer as replacements was an absolute insult to Wrexham supporters.
Old 27th May 2020, 10.32:11   #23-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/w...el-bakare.html

If I said anything positive or defensive on this thread then my account had clearly been hacked..
Old 27th May 2020, 10.36:37   #24-0 (permalink)

Racecourse Spot: Yale,Lower tier near kop (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT12 Exile View Post
Yep looking at that team v Sutton, the Mills recruitment in summer 2016 has to go down as the worst, and that's up against very stiff opposition, particularly the early Saunders era, Little, and Hughes.

The daft thing is I really don't think the squad he assembled for the 2015/16 season was that bad - I can't remember the details but I'm sure I recall thinking that he really didn't need to release as many as he did at the end of that season. But the dross signed in that summer as replacements was an absolute insult to Wrexham supporters.
Mills recruitment was strange. I still dont understand it to this day. as you say he also had a mass clear out and replaced it with even worse.
Old 27th May 2020, 10.38:12   #25-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

From one of the top bed wetters, wilbobisback in response to FOG's post.

Quote:
Really happy knowing Foggy doesn't rate our players! Looking like a good season on that basis.
Posted via mobile theme
Ouch.
Old 27th May 2020, 10.38:23   #26-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils-an-alki View Post
http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/w...el-bakare.html

If I said anything positive or defensive on this thread then my account had clearly been hacked..
Everyone take note of my definitive assessment of those signings that summer.
Old 27th May 2020, 10.55:28   #27-0 (permalink)
-

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_Old_Game View Post
Everyone take note of my definitive assessment of those signings that summer.
Here you go...

Quote:
I feel compelled to return after this today as it has confirmed my fears about our meagre budget and Mills inability to get the best from it.

And to do a full assessment of the transfer dealings so far for this summer, as I did last time (correctly observing that Mills had signed a load of absolute rubbish bar 1 or 2).

Goalkeeper - God knows who he will bring it. The guy thought Belford was good enough to play for us. Failed to offer Taylor the 2 year deal and high wage he warranted and now we will end up with someone nowhere near as good in the most crucial position on the pitch.

Carrington, decent enough player and will no doubt get another deal at end of this season for being the least useless player in the squad, same way he's done each season since he's been here.

Newton is decent enough for this level, surprised he stayed actually as he would have had other offers. If he went there's no way Mills would replace him with anyone better.

Riley was great first time round but why has he hardly played for a few seasons? Sceptical.

Bencherif - played for a relegation side. Can't we do any better?

Tilt - I like the sound of him actually, somebody young and who was actually in demand by other sides.

Edwards - Good squad filler.

Rob Evans - Not good enough to start, ok as squad filler.

Barry - Every still basing their opinion on that 0-0 match against Fleetwood when he played a few good passes are they? Fowler the second. Just not fit enough, dynamic enough to play.

Rooney - not a midfielder for sure. Will end up playing all over the shop like Jennings. Will probably score a few playing in a Mills side though.

Rutherford - A poor winger that won't score or assist as many as Wes York and end up released next summer back down to his Chester/Southport level.

This Nortey bloke - ridiculous name and probably won't do anything here. He's already been told he will be playing in a position alien to him. Vidal the second and released next summer back to a crap part time London based side.

White - good goal record in a league worse than the Conference. He could be decent but who is going to create chances for him? If he's any good he will be off for a pittance in January.

Bakare - sounds like utter dross. All this "I'll wait and see him before I judge" bollocks. Look at his record, look at the clubs he's played for. He's blatantly crap who probably can't believe his luck that Mills has offered him a deal.

The other youngsters he's brought in will be on a complete pittance.

All in all, no midfield again for the second year running. Mills already planning to play players out of position straight away and the team has mid table written all over it. Mills gone by Xmas. He's clearly got no money to spend but what he has got he's spending on useless rubbish once again. The squad looks worse than last time around. The board are trying a massive con job on us if they think this is a "competitive budget". I predict a 10th placed finish due to the team probably picking up a bit after Mills goes near Xmas.
Closed Thread

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.41:12.