Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Three Episode Threads: S3E1 Welcome To EFL / S3E2 Goals / Notts Again / Risky Business / Temporary / Far Away, So Close / Trouble / ...

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th May 2024, 08.27:22   #136-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Mullin and McClean "shared their thoughts on the monarchy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
No, it won't. There are a hell of a lot of people and other clubs looking for an excuse to rubbish us, and those two have given them all the ammunition they need.

I would go so far as to say they have done us more damage off the field (think further sponsorships etc) than they could ever do positively on the pitch.
FAO Phil from Greater Manchester: this is how you troll.
Old 6th May 2024, 08.30:22   #137-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot:

Maybe the club should ban anyone who sings it and who sings 'flip the tories'. In fact maybe we should really turn the ground into a library atmosphere.
Old 6th May 2024, 08.30:31   #138-0 (permalink)
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynkeepthefaith View Post
I am paid well to manage IT systems but if the company tried to influence my views on the monarchy I would resign. It’s a free country for the moment unless of course for some bizarre reason the facist’s get in again and continue to dismantle our democracy. As someone pointed out the Tory press is desperate not to discuss the hammering they just got.
The club isn’t trying to influence their view, they just (as Will clubs across the country) have rules about social media use. I remember many years ago Martin Riley (post Wrexham career) coming out with a load of right wing stuff on twitter and many of the people now depending the right of McClean and a Mullin to voice opinions were all over his opinions. I imagine if he had still been a Wrexham player it would have caused a nasty atmosphere, in the same way I think there would be issues if a current player started coming out heavily in favour of torys, reform etc.

So then we get into the position what opinions are footballers allowed to have? Is it only opinions that the majority of Wrexham fans share? If so how do we determine that and can we assume minority opinion is always wrong? I feel it opens up a can of worms and the easiest thing is for the club just to mainly stop it.
Old 6th May 2024, 08.33:55   #139-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Mold Roa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Sorry but that’s not political literacy Thats political lobbying.
It amounts to the same thing. We will lose nothing from that being posted.
Old 6th May 2024, 08.56:44   #140-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
I would prefer it if they conducted themselves like Ben Tozer does on social media. Unfortunately political debate and political literacy is being destroyed by crap being posted on twitter and instagram - by all sides. It doesn’t help when two role models ( and the Stockport squad, so let’s be consistent here) join the vitriol.
Define political literacy.
Old 6th May 2024, 09.02:06   #141-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWelshWayne View Post
Knowing that your voting for a known liar and getting one - Boris Johnson.
Old 6th May 2024, 09.03:20   #142-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Wherever the resale portal takes me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWelshWayne View Post
Being able to spell McClean when you are fuming at his politics.
Old 6th May 2024, 10.26:53   #143-0 (permalink)
Rob
Due a Testimonial

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Yale Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_holt_dragon View Post
The club isn’t trying to influence their view
On a vague tangent, we have had the club make statements about political views twice that I can remember.

One telling fans to leave views at the turnstiles for the queens death, and perhaps even more specific when the conservative government declined the levelling up funding there was praise of WCBC and Welsh Gov, but a note "By the by, you will need photo ID to vote from 4th May 2023 in parliamentary by-elections and in General Elections from October 2023. Just if anyone was wondering."

'Keep politics out of football/sport' is often said, but perhaps nowadays its more closely entwined than ever.

There is even a kick off this morning about Trump meeting Lando Norris etc.
Old 6th May 2024, 10.27:01   #144-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Away stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Performerod View Post
You're an imbecile if you truly believe the two are equivalent and I can't be bothered spelling out why because you're being disingenuous.

I'd be embarrassed if Parkinson behaved like Challinor did, yet I couldn't give a stuff what any Stockport players have to say about anything. Behavioural expectations for players and managers are different, and expressing a political stance is different to unsporting behaviour which is what Challinor was doing. Not equivalent and we both know it.
I agree that there are different expectations for players and managers, if Parkinson had posted hatred for the king there would have been far more outcry.

There's also a difference between being filmed doing something and deliberately putting a post out to say something. If Wrexham players were filmed joining in with the song it wouldn't be as controversial as posting the views themselves.

There's also a difference between stating that you hate someone and singing a silly song which is effectively just saying, "ner ner, we beat you to the title." I suspect what your players really mean is that they hate the institution of monarchy. I doubt either has had much to do with Charles or could list anything that he's done personally to affect them or their communities.

Dave Challinor being filmed joining in with a silly song is no worse (and I'd argue it's actually less controversial) than players directly stating that they hate the head of state (regardless of the fact that it's a system that shouldn't exist) of the country where they choose to ply their trade.

I still feel like you're struggling to look at it objectively because one upsets and offends you and the other doesn't.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 16.46:41.