Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd May 2021, 08.40:49   #946-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Busfield End
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Could Crispin Lane have also been a thoroughfare for the working men of the period, thousands of miners, steelworkers and brickmakers would have been traversing by foot from their homes to wherever they had current employment. The Acton and Wrexham Colliery would have been a candidate for this foot traffic from the Broughton area.

I have also been curious about the ditch that ran through Acton. The parts I recall in the 1960's ran from the previously mentioned Quarry "Valley" (south of the 4 dogs entrance) all the way through to the end of Rhosnessni Lane by St David's School. The Ditch in parts was often filled with water and we'd make rope swings across. This ditch does not appear to have been a Lane or run to Acton Hall and is not part of Watt's Dyke. I will post the aerial photo when I can relocate it. The ditch's direction would have taken it towards Rhosddu/ Stansty if it had continued on.
Old 3rd May 2021, 10.42:09   #947-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Coming along herbert Jennings ave from rhosnessni..
About a 100yrds from junction with top of elm grove ..the open field on the right ..as far as the mormon church alongside the subway...has a pronounced bank...
This is the remains of a "Ha" ditch..which would have been used to keep cattle and sheep from grazing from in front of acton hall...
Old 3rd May 2021, 10.47:10   #948-0 (permalink)
Legend

Was this the ditch you are referring to..?
Old 3rd May 2021, 13.03:17   #949-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
Was this the ditch you are referring to..?
Hi WasanActonlad. Yes it's in that vicinity. I'm trying to find the aerial photo of Wrexham from about 1950 which clearly shows the outline of the ditch.
Looking at the 1898 OS map, it shows what I believe is the direction of the ditch as a series of bold dots, these bold dots according to an OS legend, are the boundary of historical "Townlands". If you follow this bold dotted line around Wrexham it says along its length, "Parly. Boro. By. (Wrexham Contributory to Denbigh)". If you follow the dots they take you across Chester Rd, through the Rhosddu Park next to the allotments and along Spring Rd and then end up right behind the Kop at the racecourse. Hopefully this map link will work.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=171&b=1

Old 3rd May 2021, 13.11:22   #950-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Correction to that, the ditch is just above the bold dotted line, it runs through the letter C in the word "Acton Park" on the map. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=171&b=1
Old 3rd May 2021, 13.57:38   #951-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo99 View Post
Correction to that, the ditch is just above the bold dotted line, it runs through the letter C in the word "Acton Park" on the map. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoo...layers=171&b=1
The line in question is a contours line Bobo, showing the height in elevations on the survey. The other dotted lines that you reffered to in your previous posts are municipal boundaries- parliamentary,urban and district boundaries as well as parish boundaries. The dotted line immediately behind The Racecourse was the town boundary that seperated the old ville of Stansty from the town of Wrexham. In this location, the boundary directly followed the earlier Wats Dyke boundary line, but Stansty later extended beyond the dyke, closer to the Rhosddu end of Crispin Lane

The legend for the map in question is located here https://maps.nls.uk/view-sp/128076894
Old 4th May 2021, 02.24:33   #952-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussex View Post
The line in question is a contours line Bobo, showing the height in elevations on the survey. The other dotted lines that you reffered to in your previous posts are municipal boundaries- parliamentary,urban and district boundaries as well as parish boundaries. The dotted line immediately behind The Racecourse was the town boundary that seperated the old ville of Stansty from the town of Wrexham. In this location, the boundary directly followed the earlier Wats Dyke boundary line, but Stansty later extended beyond the dyke, closer to the Rhosddu end of Crispin Lane

The legend for the map in question is located here https://maps.nls.uk/view-sp/128076894

Hi, I can see the 300 contour line, but it's the adjacent continuous line that I believe is the ditch. I finally found the 1958 RAF photo, if you save it and zoom in you can clearly see the ditch. https://coflein.gov.uk/en/archive/61...n&type=archive
Old 5th May 2021, 16.09:30   #953-0 (permalink)
Legend

As mentioned previously ...it appears to be part of the ha
That is still evident where elm grove meets herbert Jennings avenue..
Old 10th May 2021, 15.08:51   #954-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo99 View Post
Could Crispin Lane have also been a thoroughfare for the working men of the period, thousands of miners, steelworkers and brickmakers would have been traversing by foot from their homes to wherever they had current employment. The Acton and Wrexham Colliery would have been a candidate for this foot traffic from the Broughton area.

I have also been curious about the ditch that ran through Acton. The parts I recall in the 1960's ran from the previously mentioned Quarry "Valley" (south of the 4 dogs entrance) all the way through to the end of Rhosnessni Lane by St David's School. The Ditch in parts was often filled with water and we'd make rope swings across. This ditch does not appear to have been a Lane or run to Acton Hall and is not part of Watt's Dyke. I will post the aerial photo when I can relocate it. The ditch's direction would have taken it towards Rhosddu/ Stansty if it had continued on.
Hi Bobo.
You can still see the 4-foot-wide pathway following the boundary line of Wat’s Dyke as a dotted line on this OS map from 1872.
The old Fishpond/Durrack’s Pond on Crispin Field is still visible on the map, as too is the location of ‘springfield’ and Spring Gardens, although ‘the witches pool’ is no longer in existence at this time, as the drainage work needed to build the railway station removed the standing water and left the pool as a patch of marshland.
You can also see where the dotted line/footpath was diverted slightly to the west, immediately behind The Racecourse, in 1866 (as previously mentioned).

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102341204

Additionally, there was another spring at the nearby ‘old gravel pit’ at the Rhosddu end of Crispin Lane, which was also removed to facilitate the construction of the WM&CQ railway sheds and turntable in 1866, and in later meetings of The Highways Board, it was suggested that that a new gravel pit could be dug in that area to extract the stone needed for the construction of highways.
https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...64/4579469/26/

This correlates with the information attained from numerous geological surveys of the area, which have all identified that the local strata was comprised of layers of sand and gravel that were laid down due to the convergence of ice flows, thousands of years ago, but this information, in-itself, also provides us with the composition of the land, through which the ditch of Wat’s Dyke was excavated; i.e. the ditch had a gravel base.
Now, the name ‘Stansty’ (like many of the towns around Wrexham) is believed to have been derived from an Anglo-Saxon word ‘stan’ meaning stone’ and ‘sti’ or ‘sty’ relating to a road, pathway or enclosure (a stone pathway or enclosure) but the only feature in the landscape that we know in the immediate area, which matches this description, is the ditch of Wat’s Dyke- a gravel (stone) pathway that forms an enclosure between the Anglo Saxon settlements of Stansty and Wrightelsham (Wrexham).
The ditch itself would have formed a natural holloway- (Anglo Saxon-halo weg) meaning a harrowed path or sunken lane bounded within high hedge banks

https://thedorsetrambler.com/2015/02...ient-highways/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunken_lane

Holloways’ frequently originated as Anglo Saxon boundary ditches

https://orionmagazine.org/article/go...ins-holloways/

Hence- these holloways’ provided rights of access between Anglo Saxon enclosures.

As with much of the information that I add to this thread, this is my own take on the history of the area, based on my own research and interpretation, but as far as I am aware, there have not previously been any attempts to explain why the Anglo Saxons named ‘Stansty’ after a stone road/pathway or enclosure, nor any historical evidence provided as too where that road/enclosure may have been located. But the existence of a holloway in the ditch of Wat’s Dyke provides both the location and etymology from which the name of Stansty itself may have been derived.
In later times, the base of the ditch would have naturally silted up, leaving a muddy footpath i.e. crid pler lane- muddy shoemakers lane, with the name of Crispin being derived from St Crispin- the patron saint of shoemakers- hence ‘Crispin Lane’.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 08.38:56.