Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22nd January 2018, 18.25:49   #64-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default Re: Best away following at the Racecourse and the best away day with Wrexham

Spurs away 1976 league cup

3-2 win with their keeper ( Pat Jennings) playing out of his skin.

A few thousand Wrexham down for a mid week game, great following.
Old 22nd January 2018, 18.39:59   #65-0 (permalink)
Name A Stand After Me

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Best away following at the Racecourse and the best away day with Wrexham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
You know as an away following all together and one for all - in recent years the second leg of the play offs at Aggborough stands out for me - not the greatest in numbers but every single Red that day sang their hearts out and roared the team onto Wembley - electric atmosphere in the away end by the 1600 and we ended up winning - 1 - 3 with goals by Ormerod, a Joe Clarke free kick and a late Neil Ashton penalty.
I really thought we were going up after that victory - thought we were unstoppable.
I loved the Luton Town Play off game in 2011, we lost but the atmosphere was incredible!
Old 22nd January 2018, 19.18:19   #66-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot: Mold road stand

Burnley fa cup away thousands went,villa away when we got stuffed , the football special train was rammed
Old 22nd January 2018, 20.22:32   #67-0 (permalink)
Legend

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Statto earlier mentioned this match and I remember it well too.

1978 / 79 season and we were in League 1 (today's Championship).
At the top end of the table there was a promotion battle between the big guns including the likes of West Ham United, Newcastle United, Stoke City and in this case Sunderland.
The game didn't matter to us in terms of promotion or relegation.

05 May 1979 I was in my teens and was on the Mold Road terrace infront of the Turf but more towards the centre line - Sunderland fans were everywhere - the ground was packed to the rafters.

Joey Jones gave us the lead at the kop end only for Sunderland to equalise late on.

Then in the dying minutes David Giles ran down the left wing and put an inch perfect cross into the box for Dixie Mcneil to head home - only he headed it at chest height straight at Barry Sidall in the Sunderland goal - it haunts me to this day that if had headed it down at the floor it would have been a certain goal. I bet Mr M has also given it some thought over the years.

Sunderland go up the other end and score the winner at the Tech End infront of the majority of their fans - place went crazy. But Sunderland fans were packed out all down the Mold Road Paddock and for the closing minutes my feet never touched the ground - packed solid singing chorus after chorus of the Blaydon Races - away coaches outside the ground all up Mold Road to the big roundabout.

'Official' attendance given as 19,133 but it seemed a lot more.

Earlier that season in the run in on Saturday 21 April we hosted the visit of Stoke City infront of 20,211 who were also in the mix - they had a hugh centre forward by the name of Brenan O Callaghan who scored the winner with a header at the Tech End - sadly I am unaware of any video coverage for that game.

That season we had massive crowds every week in comparison to the current season.
A 9,000 crowd would be considered 'small' - we had crowds of around 14,000 for the visits of West Ham, Brighton (opening day of the season), Newcastle United and Leicester City. Happy days and great memories - where did it all go so wrong ?
I feel sorry for today's kids, my son included who has grown up never having seen Wrexham play a home match at a four sided ground.

Here are the highlights from the Sunderland match - Gerald Sindstadt the Granada TV commentator.

https://youtu.be/RXis52M85-s

Always thought sunderland had about 8000 fans and most were on the pitch at the end celebrating promotion,but when the scores came through a late goal elsewhere meant that they did not claim promotion.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20.39:23   #68-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillEBadass View Post
February 16th 1974 - Southampton 0:1 Wrexham

I was teaching in a London school at the time and got a day return train ticket which meant I'd be home around 7.30pm.

The best performance I have ever seen from a Wrexham team.

I met up with some friends from home at the ground, one thing led to another, and come midnight I was knocking on my parents door just outside Mold with a wife in London thinking I'd been abducted by aliens.
When I got back I wished I had.
I too travelled down from London for that one Bill and will always remember standing on the Kop surrounded by Saints fans as Dave Smallman's header went in. I couldn't say or do anything as I was isolated but inside I was burning with pride.

However, in more recent years the one that stands out is the 4-3 comeback victory at Luton. At half-time we were dead and buried and we were all thinking "how many will we lose by?" In over 50 years of watching the Reds that is certainly the best comeback I have ever witnessed.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20.51:24   #69-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farndon red View Post
Hereford,1978 promoted to division 2
The town was a sea of red in more ways than one.
9,000 Wrexham there that day
Old 22nd January 2018, 20.52:22   #70-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot:

Port Vale had a huge following here in October 1969, fun and games at half time
Old 22nd January 2018, 21.19:31   #71-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Rd

Rochdale away was a fantastic day. On the train in Chirk at 8am and on the tinnies for 8.01! Remember being in a pub, the Cemetery(?) and there being a fantastic sing song in there. The match itself is a bit of a blur, but fantastic atmosphere and a win on the way to promotion. Porto was a great night with big Jim Steel scoring, but not a massive crowd if I remember and West Ham away 2-2, and deciding to go into a pub next to Upton Park after the match to avoid the crowds on the tube and it being full of tattooed West Ham fans. Soon after we got in the match was shown on the tv in its entirety and we had a great craic with the Hammers fans who were fantastic. Memories, and as so many have said on here, shame that my 17 yr old lad will never xperience the European nights, but hopefully will be able to savour some success this year! Oh, nearly forgot Hereford away 1978 and the 7-1 thrashing of Rotherham to seal promotion!
Old 22nd January 2018, 21.32:43   #72-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @spuderz92

Been on some brilliant away trips over the last few years but the best one has to be Portugal. Wish the club would stop arsing about and just announce Portugal II

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 12.50:57.