Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th October 2023, 14.56:02   #28-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Biggest attendance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxmspiller View Post
With our now 20+Million turnover , global fan base and sell out attendances whch we would probably easily double Out of curiosity who do you see as the biggest side in the league
Ranking clubs by size is always a tricky, not to mention divisive thing to do. People always have different takes on what makes a club 'big'. You have to look at things like success in competitions and average attendances over time, not just right now. Otherwise you'd have to say that Luton are a bigger club than Leeds, which is clearly not true.

Club infrastructure and stadium size is also a factor, although it can sometimes be misleading (MK Dons, for instance).

Anyway, with all that in mind, I'd say Bradford are the biggest club in the league. They've played in the Premier League and traditionally have the biggest local fanbase. After them, I'd say we (Notts County) are, and then maybe Swindon.

I get that Wrexham have more 'fans' that pretty much every club outside the Premier League now, but most of them are just people who enjoy the documentary and don't even live in Europe, let alone North Wales. Plus, you've just emerged after over a decade in the fifth division, and have played only a couple of seasons in the second tier in your entire history.

If club size were taken as a snapshot with no historical context, you'd probably be the biggest based on the Hollywood stuff. But if you look beyond the last couple of seasons, you aren't.
Old 6th October 2023, 14.58:30   #29-0 (permalink)
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: On my bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie-Face View Post
Ranking clubs by size is always a tricky, not to mention divisive thing to do. People always have different takes on what makes a club 'big'. You have to look at things like success in competitions and average attendances over time, not just right now. Otherwise you'd have to say that Luton are a bigger club than Leeds, which is clearly not true.

Club infrastructure and stadium size is also a factor, although it can sometimes be misleading (MK Dons, for instance).

Anyway, with all that in mind, I'd say Bradford are the biggest club in the league. They've played in the Premier League and traditionally have the biggest local fanbase. After them, I'd say we (Notts County) are, and then maybe Swindon.

I get that Wrexham have more 'fans' that pretty much every club outside the Premier League now, but most of them are just people who enjoy the documentary and don't even live in Europe, let alone North Wales. Plus, you've just emerged after over a decade in the fifth division, and have played only a couple of seasons in the second tier in your entire history.

If club size were taken as a snapshot with no historical context, you'd probably be the biggest based on the Hollywood stuff. But if you look beyond the last couple of seasons, you aren't.
So what about now then🤣
Old 6th October 2023, 15.01:06   #30-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: As far as away as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back of the Kop View Post
It's not true according to Hatter 1 in spite of all the evidence saying otherwise
That's not what I've said (and you've given up engaging with).

What I've challenged are the sweeping statements on here "Clearly everyone wants to watch Wrexham FC", Wrexham away will be the biggest attendance for every home club and every club wants to beat Wrexham the most.

There's elements of truth to each. Wrexham is drawing lots of attention, has a big following and is competing at the right end of the table, but as sweeping statements they simply aren't true. All of the away fans coming on here outside your bubble (admittedly from 2 clubs only) have confirmed that - whether that Wrexham won't be the highest attendance at EP this season or Notts vs Wrexham their biggest game, among others.

There's life outside the Wrexham bubble.

Last edited by Hatter1; 6th October 2023 at 15.10:14..
Old 6th October 2023, 15.02:54   #31-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxcrayon View Post
So what about now then🤣
Depends
Old 6th October 2023, 15.07:28   #32-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldtownRed View Post
Crawley had 3500 at home to Sutton last weekend, current season high of 4300 against gillingham. 6,000 capacity with us in town tomorrow. Granted there’ll be a few extra fans but clearly we’re box office to fans of other clubs.
And yes I think it’s weird too. I wouldn’t bother if it was another club.
But how many away fans? Of course, a bigger away following will increase attendances. Be interested to see if there's that many more home fans, and possibly away fans going in the home end?

You might be right in this instance. My issue is more with the exaggeration to every club in the league.

Last edited by Hatter1; 6th October 2023 at 15.08:56..
Old 6th October 2023, 15.09:36   #33-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexhamforever95 View Post
Aye but could that be down to the Mansfield game being played couple of weeks before ours though? Although I do get your point in terms of rivalry.
I think the Wrexham game went on sale with a few extra days lead time of the match, so there might be a little bit in that.

I'm just going by the stadium map on the ticket site (where you can see availability). The sales for Wrexham after 3 days are still probably little less than the sales were after the first few hours of the Mansfield game going on sale.
Old 6th October 2023, 15.09:42   #34-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

(info)

Racecourse Spot: mold road

We should just enjoy the resurgence of clubs in the lower leagues, and the desire to attend live matches to support their local team grows as people switch off the PL.

We are already punching above our weight in demand for tickets, more so than at any modern day times, even more so than when we had the huge advantage over our rivals, of regular European football.
Old 6th October 2023, 15.17:01   #35-0 (permalink)
joe
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Yale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter1 View Post
But how many away fans? Of course, a bigger away following will increase attendances. Be interested to see if there's that many more home fans, and possibly away fans going in the home end?

You might be right in this instance. My issue is more with the exaggeration to every club in the league.
1300 we’ve sold, so that’s 4700 home fans. They had 3k home fans against Gillingham.

It’s not every club, no, but you can’t deny that we attract higher home figures, in particular higher percentages against smaller clubs.

I’m sure 17 out of 23 clubs we played last season had their highest gate against us. It wasn’t even a subtle rise in some cases, Bromley had literally double their average against us (we only took around 800 out of a 5k crowd) and Altrincham had their highest league attendance since the 1960’s or something daft, I remember them being very proud of it.

Aldershot’s another one I remember. They quadrupled their attendance from when they played Chesterfield a few days before. Of course they sang WWYWYWS without seeing the irony.

Last edited by joe; 6th October 2023 at 15.19:45..
Old 6th October 2023, 15.21:27   #36-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie-Face View Post

I'd agree with that. I also don't think you can really call someone a fan based on social media numbers. Then it's Ryan Reynolds' Wrexham, not Wrexham, like the sudden upturn in Kansas City Chiefs attention and 400% increase in Kelce shirts due to Taylor Swift.

Wrexham are undoubtedly a big club for this level, but there are a few on here who seem to think they are the sun of the L2 universe and everything revolves around them.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 21.05:35.